Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Anyone else wake up to a mystery deduction of miles?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else wake up to a mystery deduction of miles?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:16 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Question Anyone else wake up to a mystery deduction of miles?

Got one of those "hey, did anyone steal your miles?" messages-- only it's a little late for me to do anything about it

We have deducted AAdvantage® miles from your account and issued the following:
Date Issued Mileage Description
12-23-2015 90,000 Flight Award

Just in case you did not authorize these miles to be deducted, please contact us so we can assist you.
Then on AA.com I notice they detail the flights thusly:

JFK - AUH
Dec 26, 2015
AA 102 -90,000

AUH - MUC
Dec 28, 2015
AA 5 -40,000

JFK - AUH
Dec 26, 2015
AA 102 -90,000

I took that trip, EY JFK-AUH followed by AUH-MUC (2 awards,) but, color me
Old Apr 8, 2017, 6:41 am

Programs: AA-CK, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Funny, I got the opposite email. We've deducted 15,000 miles for an upgrade award Nov. 1, 2017. The only thing is I'm not traveling on Nov.1 nor is anyone I would have upgraded. I called the CK desk and it took them about 15 minutes to figure out that it was a phantom flight used to deduct miles for a LAX -ORD segment I took on March 2nd of this year. She said that this sometimes happens when it is a last minute upgrade like mine was!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:01 am

I'd say someone in AA IT is not having a fun weekend.

My account shows Status as "--" and for Award Miles shows 0 in some places and the correct balance in other places.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MikeFly
Funny, I got the opposite email. We've deducted 15,000 miles for an upgrade award Nov. 1, 2017. The only thing is I'm not traveling on Nov.1 nor is anyone I would have upgraded. I called the CK desk and it took them about 15 minutes to figure out that it was a phantom flight used to deduct miles for a LAX -ORD segment I took on March 2nd of this year. She said that this sometimes happens when it is a last minute upgrade like mine was!
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

My account shows Status as "--" and for Award Miles shows 0 in some places and the correct balance in other places.
Sound potentially good to me (as to how little I'll have to fight with them to get this figured out!). Thanks!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:21 am

Programs: AA EX PLAT
Originally Posted by BlatheringPenguin

HA! Same here! Unsettling.....
Old Apr 9, 2017, 9:28 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
I got one of those emails, and online saw one of those "in the future" activity lines, with a bogus flight number. AA rep said that that was how the system marked activity that was still in process, and I should wait a few hours for everything to be sorted out. Which it was.

In my case, it was a deduction of miles for an foreign airport miles-plus-copay upgrade which cleared at the gate, and finally triggered the email and online activity 2 weeks later.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 9:48 am

For one: AA 102 and AA 5 are HNL-DFW/DFW-HNL flights.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: Once a somebody now a nobody
" Question Anyone else wake up to a mystery deduction of miles? "

Does waking up and finding out your miles are worth less than the night before count? If so, definitely!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.