Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Cellist and Cello forced off plane at DCA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Cellist and Cello forced off plane at DCA

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by ryan182
Well its relevant because knowing the difference between a cello and a bass is not relevant to the safety or operation of AA jets nor is it something I'd consider common knowledge.
Being able to follow instructions is highly relevant to the safety and operation of AA jets. No, they don't have to know how to follow the instructions in an RV refrigerator repair manual, but they better know how to follow the instructions in the AA manuals. Only knowing the emergency evacuation instructions and doing the rest by the seat of your pants is the ultimate in lAAziness.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Sabai
AA really stepped on their organ.
Let the wood winds blow! String 'em up! Beat'em like a drum! Especially the brass!
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:10 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by ryan182
Well its relevant because knowing the difference between a cello and a bass is not relevant to the safety or operation of AA jets nor is it something I'd consider common knowledge.
AA policy regarding musical instruments says simply that the instrument must meet seat size restrictions according to aircraft type. A cello in a hard-sided case meets these requirements on all aircraft that are currently operated by AA. The captain simply had to look at the cello and determine that it was within the measurement guidelines. Call it whatever you like. If it fits, it flies.

​​​https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/baggage/specialty-and-sports.jsp#musicalinstruments
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:43 pm

Deleted

Last edited by ORD1Kguy; Apr 10, 2017 at 4:35 pm
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:49 pm

AA is probably thankful for UA's kind action in showing that there are worse things than forcing a cello off a plane.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by richarddd
AA is probably thankful for UA's kind action in showing that there are worse things than forcing a cello off a plane.
I wouldn't be surprised if DL's CEO has already sent UA a thank you note for keeping it's meltdown out of the news.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
Nope, different instrument. Though I occasionally have to buy a seat for my instrument - there are a lot of challenges that come with flying with an instrument and AA has a lot of arbitrary rules that are only occasionally enforced.

IMO, AA owes this person a lot more than just a refund for the seat he bought for his cello. At least a voucher.

AA screwed up bad on this one.
I agree that the pax should also have been refunded. It's not like the cello can travel without its pax or vice versa. I'm a cellist who buys a seat for my cello, and these goofs are hurting musicians. If you had told me 20 years ago that buying a seat wouldn't be good enough, I would have laughed. We musicians are just working stiffs who want to get from A to B. It wouldn't take much reeducation for AA headquarters to make sure this never happens again. Shame!

Here's a scale comparison of the instruments of the violin family. The cello is the only one that you'd see strapped into a seat on a plane. And it only takes about 20 seconds to secure it, once the FA gives you the seatbelt extender:

Old Apr 10, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
And here's another size comparison with people for scale:

Old Apr 10, 2017, 5:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridealong
Here's a scale comparison of the instruments of the violin family. The cello is the only one that you'd see strapped into a seat on a plane. And it only takes about 20 seconds to secure it, once the FA gives you the seatbelt extender:
Not exactly. Under the AA policy, a string bass (or "double bass" or, in the AA vernacular, a "bass fiddle") is permitted to buy a bulkhead seat in First Class but not Main Cabin. A cello may be seated in any bulkhead row in F or MC.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
At least the cello didn't get bloodied when it was taken off the flight.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 7:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by beachfan
In all fairness, it is difficult to move a person easily on a plane when they don't want to voluntarily go.. It's one thing to refuse a crew member, but what do you gain by refusing to move when the cops show up. A cello would never do this.
Old Apr 10, 2017, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by beachfan
another story involving flight to/from Chicago...
Old Apr 11, 2017, 8:42 am

Originally Posted by FWAAA
Not exactly. Under the AA policy, a string bass (or "double bass" or, in the AA vernacular, a "bass fiddle") is permitted to buy a bulkhead seat in First Class but not Main Cabin. A cello may be seated in any bulkhead row in F or MC.
Is there an AA policy source for that? I'm looking on their website and I can't find it. If it's true, I've never known a bassist to use this strategy. I suspect it'd be too risky that a bulkhead F seat may not be available on a trip leg. If true, I'll revise my post to say that "in my experience, a cello is the only one [of the violin family instruments] you'd see strapped into a seat on a plane".

Old Apr 14, 2017, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ridealong
Is there an AA policy source for that? I'm looking on their website and I can't find it. If it's true, I've never known a bassist to use this strategy. I suspect it'd be too risky that a bulkhead F seat may not be available on a trip leg. If true, I'll revise my post to say that "in my experience, a cello is the only one [of the violin family instruments] you'd see strapped into a seat on a plane".
Yes, there is an AA policy source for that (I did not make it up) - the FA pulled up the policy on their tablet. The Parker-ized AA no longer provides that info on aa.com like AA did in the past, but thanks to the Wayback Machine, here is the info from 2013:

MUSICAL INSTRUMENTS

Small musical instruments may be carried onboard the aircraft providing they meet existing carry-on size requirements and fit in the overhead bin or under the seat in front of you. We recommend all musical instruments travel in a hard-sided case in the event the item needs to be checked. Case dimensions may not exceed 45 dimensional inches (width + length + height), except for guitars which may be brought on board only if they can be safely stowed in an overhead bin or approved stowage location in the cabin. The instrument is considered the passenger's one allowed carry-on bag. A personal item is allowed in addition to the instrument. See Carry-On Allowance for more information.

If an instrument is too large to fit in the carry-on baggage space, an additional seat may be purchased. In this case, an instrument must travel in a window, bulkhead seat, with the customer in the adjoining seat. Due to their size Bass Fiddles are not accepted in the Main Cabin and are only accepted on certain aircraft types, please contact an American Airlines representative.
https://web.archive.org/web/20130707...pecialty-items

Some previous iterations of this policy on aa.com made clear that bass fiddles were permitted in First Class seats, which is obvious even from the language quoted above.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.