Community
Wiki Posts
Search

standby chances: LGA>ORD or EWR>ORD?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

standby chances: LGA>ORD or EWR>ORD?

Hi everyone - longtime lurker, first time poster!

Got some weather in NYC today, and my AA LGA>ORD flight was cancelled (purportedly a "lightning strike"), and I'm told things are still a mess. There are no confirmed seats NYC>ORD until Sunday. I am planning to go first thing tomorrow morning and try for standby.

Any thoughts on whether my odds are better at LGA or EWR? LGA>ORD has more flights and bigger planes, but I assume the standby lines will be longer, and I have no status (after my flight was canceled, the standby list was 80+ people long). EWR>ORD has fewer flights and the smaller regional jets, but I think fewer competition for seats and I'm leaning toward headed there.

Any insights would be appreciated, thanks!
Old Apr 6, 2017, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ricola252
I assume the standby lines will be longer, and I have no status (after my flight was canceled, the standby list was 80+ people long).
IIRC, AA stills ranks standbys by status. An AAdvantage platinum may go on a standby list of 25 people and immediately rise to #3 or 4. Your chances may be poor.
Old Apr 6, 2017, 8:20 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
When weather IROPS happen, people make double bookings without canceling the other reservation. (Or they have no idea which flight they'd actually be able to make.) So, lots of sold out flights end up leaving with many empty seats even after the whole standby list is cleared. If LGA is more convenient for you, by all means it should be your first choice. Good luck.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:28 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
The Wikipost in the thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html has some relevant information.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.