Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Cuts All JFK-SJU Non Stops in September

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Cuts All JFK-SJU Non Stops in September

Search this Thread

Old Apr 3, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Often1
The place is an economic wasteland and can't pay its bills. The first thing to go is business travel to expensive locations such as NYC and who in NYC needs to travel to SJU to do business when there is no business to be done?
Puerto Rico is still a hundred billion dollar economy.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Are slots allocated by the hour?
IIRC, indeed, slots have an hourly cap. The less popular times of day have slots available at JFK.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
IIRC, indeed, slots have an hourly cap. The less popular times of day have slots available at JFK.
I think JFK is limited to something like 82 operations per hour.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 7:52 am
Suspended

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by YtravelF
There are ALWAYS issues with JFK slots (at least from 6am-11pm). Read the FAA order. DL and B6 would like to grow too, so each carrier is essentially locked into its schedule.

https://www.regulations.gov/document...007-29320-0052

AA does not have a properly sized connecting hub at JFK and relies almost exclusively on O&D to feed its flights there. DL and B6 can serve leisure routes more profitably out of JFK than AA, thus AA chooses to focus on business heavy and/or unique routes both into and out of JFK (i.e. EGE and TUS). SJU does not meet that requirement. AA can more profitably connect those pax through MIA/CLT/DFW.

Although you may not like it, AA is in the business of making money. While I don't agree with all of his decisions, DP and his team are astute enough to play to their strengths and using their limited JFK slot allocation for flights to SJU is not one of them. Honestly, I'm excited to see how they end up recycling the slots.
Thanks for taking the time to explain it.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:32 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
AA can more profitably connect those pax through MIA/CLT/DFW.
PHL is another connection option.

Originally Posted by jordyn
2) It doesn't seem like we should have to wait to see how the slots get recycled. Unless they're just leaving the slots empty (in which case the FAA can take them back), presumably the replacements should already be on the revised schedule. Since we haven't heard anything interesting, I'm not holding my breath assuming that there's a wonderful new destination coming as a result of this change.
Maybe USdbaAA will start JFK-PHL to connect more of NYC (LGA-PHL already exists) to its northeast hub.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 8:48 am

Isn't the power of a network carrier in...the network? In that regard, is analyzing routes on a one-off profitability basis really appropriate? Not taking a strong position, just having a bit of pause with the seeming assertion that an airline is just the sum of its individual routes.

AA has seen it fit previously to match the competition in some aspects of its product - most recently in-flight catering in Y got a lot of attention. Is matching the competition on network coverage not really a valid strategic concern?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:03 am

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Largest airlines at JFK (2016)
Airline Passengers
Delta Air Lines 15,878,784
JetBlue 13,592,114
American Airlines 7,080,110
Source: Wikipedia

Expanding on my previous post, AA is half the size of DL and B6 at JFK. It simply cannot match the breadth of their respective networks out of NYC. If AA could grow at JFK, it would, but it's stuck with a limited slot portfolio. With their smaller size, they can't be everything to everyone like they can in CLT or DFW.

SJU was a great destination when AA operated a mini hub down there, but today it's a leisure route and AA has ceded that market out of NYC to focus on business markets. Remember that corporate contracts make up a huge portion of AA's revenue. That's the market they're chasing.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 9:36 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, American Gold, JetBlue Mosaic 4, Marriott Platinum, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond,
Originally Posted by jordyn
Several problems with the logic above:

As someone who travels for both business and leisure out of NYC, I'm generally feeling better about the set of destinations I can reach via DL versus AA these days.
This is my first year flying primarily American out of NYC after flying Delta for many years. Delta probably has a slight advantage in non-stop destinations, but American has some nice routes (EGE) and nice planes (SFO, JFK). I think the right call for NYC fliers is to split status if possible. I also fly JBLU occasionally.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arlflyer
Isn't the power of a network carrier in...the network? In that regard, is analyzing routes on a one-off profitability basis really appropriate? Not taking a strong position, just having a bit of pause with the seeming assertion that an airline is just the sum of its individual routes.
Agreed. Companies in many industries have loss-leaders for a reason. I doubt many here are in a position to opine specifically on whether JFK-SJU is a good candidate for one, or whether management even properly considered the larger effect (sure we'd all like to think they do...)
But I think overly focusing on just the profitability of one route may be a tad myopic.

Nonetheless, it still feels like a big loss for NYC-based travelers (even more so for AA FFers), and presumably there's a large amount of O-D traffic on this route, even if at lower yields.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:01 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by arollins
For what is worth, the weekdays direct ORD/CLT/PHL-SJU is not on the schedule, only on weekends.
AA can more profitably connect those pax through MIA/CLT/DFW.
Originally Posted by Austin787
PHL is another connection option.

I highly doubt that CLT or PHL can be an option when I posted already that they only flight direct on weekends. No more weekdays out of ORD/CLT/PHL. The only direct service to SJU is 1x DFW and 5x MIA. I seem to recall that at one time MIA had 8X to SJU.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
Not an attractive proposition when AA can sub in another premium widebody to LAX/SFO
Are these not run exclusively on A321s now?
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by arollins
I highly doubt that CLT or PHL can be an option when I posted already that they only flight direct on weekends. No more weekdays out of ORD/CLT/PHL. The only direct service to SJU is 1x DFW and 5x MIA. I seem to recall that at one time MIA had 8X to SJU.
Where do you see this? PHL does not appear to operate on Tuesday's. But through Sept still has varying frequencies the remaining 6 days of the week. Same with ORD and CLT does not operate Tues/Weds/Thurs. PHL returns to daily service the week of 10/9. Daily service to CLT appears to return in early Nov.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:34 pm

Programs: Retired. Amtrak, DL (2MM, Signed up for DL FF program 2nd day offered 8/81), Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by Austin787
Maybe USdbaAA will start JFK-PHL to connect more of NYC (LGA-PHL already exists) to its northeast hub.
Lets get this right. It really is America West dba US dba AA.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 3:52 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
Lets get this right. It really is America West dba US dba AA.
Both are cornball.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 4:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Originally Posted by nova08
Where do you see this? PHL does not appear to operate on Tuesday's. But through Sept still has varying frequencies the remaining 6 days of the week. Same with ORD and CLT does not operate Tues/Weds/Thurs. PHL returns to daily service the week of 10/9. Daily service to CLT appears to return in early Nov.
I just did some spot checks on google flights, changing dates and departure locations. These locations had daily frequencies, sometimes 2x daily, now 1x and not even weekly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.