Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fare Class with Zero Mileage

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:57 pm
Original Poster

Fare Class with Zero Mileage

Hello! I have a unique scenario and would appreciate feedback to the following.

I'm currently an AAdvantage Platinum member and maybe flying on Cathay Pacific using a discounted Economy class under "Q" which American considers a 0% accrual rate. I know that this fare class is ineligible for accrual on AAdvantage but my question is would I be able to complete this travel by plugging in my AAdvantage account to utilize my Platinum benefits such as priority boarding, preferred seating, priority baggage handling etc, and then submit a retroactive credit into my British Airways Executive Club which earns 25%?

I was also thinking of plugging in my BA account prior to the flights, but would this exclude me from using my Sapphire benefits through my AAdvantage membership?

Thank you all.

Attached Images  

Last edited by imytch; Mar 23, 2017 at 9:59 pm Reason: Forgot screenshot
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:00 pm

Programs: AS 75K & BR Member- HHonors Diamond - Hertz PC - Marriott Titanium - IHG Ambassador
It's frowned upon
Old Mar 23, 2017, 10:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

You could use oneworld benefits if you put details in in advance, but if you leave it to credit to CX - albeit at zero, the missing mileage request to BA would be refused. if you want to do this for better seating selection, change the number before travel - can use the AA membership card for lounge access at the airport
Old Mar 23, 2017, 11:28 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
You could use oneworld benefits if you put details in in advance, but if you leave it to credit to CX - albeit at zero, the missing mileage request to BA would be refused. if you want to do this for better seating selection, change the number before travel - can use the AA membership card for lounge access at the airport
Is this true? At the HKG CX lounges they've always wanted to see my boarding pass, are the agents there good enough to recognize that an AA Platinum card (or any Sapphire membership) gets you access even when your boarding pass doesn't recognize you as such?
Old Mar 24, 2017, 1:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by ericgdukie44
Is this true? At the HKG CX lounges they've always wanted to see my boarding pass, are the agents there good enough to recognize that an AA Platinum card (or any Sapphire membership) gets you access even when your boarding pass doesn't recognize you as such?
Most places are happy to just see a boarding pass that shows the relevant status, but where boarding pass does not show status ( or where a location chooses to check cards anyway ) , having a valid membership card showing status will meet the needs
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I imagine you can use your AA number up until just before you leave the lounge to go board, then have an agent change to your BA number. You won't get priority boarding (unless you still have/show the old boarding pass), but that's probably the least valuable perk, particularly on a long-haul.

I guess there's an outstanding question of whether any preferred seat assignments would then evaporate, but I suspect that's not something that would happen automatically (could cause all sorts of problems if it did right before boarding!).
Old Mar 24, 2017, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Marriott Gold, Everything else: Dirt
I was once completely denied entry to a lounge at FRA for not having my actual card on me, even though I was Chairman's Preferred on US at the time and BP said as much. Dragon would not budge. Now I always carry my card when traveling international. The card should definitely get you in. It also came in handy last year at BOS at the BA lounge. Dragon demanded to see my AA card before letting us in, although I am not sure I would have been denied entry without it.
Old Mar 24, 2017, 10:11 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've used AA/OW lounges at JFK, LHR, NRT, cdg and others, i've never been asked to show my EXP card.
The only time I've been asked to show it was in ZRH to a contract agent as prrt of the security c/I.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.