Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

1688 SAN - DFW crew timed out during departure taxi (to merge)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: double EX-PLT

1688 SAN to DFW, we were late pushing back, then the captain came on as we got to the end of the runway and said 'the cabin went illegal'.

back at the gate waiting for a new crew, AA's text said we leave at 1.30, it's 1.30 now.

FAs are in sgt Schultz mode, they know nothing.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
I was on a ORD-DFW flight, late one night a few years back. Lines of storms running through ORD, we boarded and they closed the door three hours before we ended up taking off.

Captain was very forthcoming that "hey, we're boarding, we're going to close the door but we're not going anywhere... if we stay at the gate, we'll time out and the flight will cancel."

So - ymmv.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 2:49 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Since (most) cabin crew members do have watches (or the equivalent), they should have realized the flight would become "illegal" before push back.
Old Mar 21, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jaytcsd
1688 SAN to DFW, we were late pushing back, then the captain came on as we got to the end of the runway and said 'the cabin went illegal'.

back at the gate waiting for a new crew, AA's text said we leave at 1.30, it's 1.30 now.

FAs are in sgt Schultz mode, they know nothing.
Same thing happened to me MIA-DFW a few weeks ago. Flight got delayed waiting for crew to clear customs, then taxied out to the runway, waited while other flights took off, then taxied back. We were told they had tried to ask for an exception (not sure what kind of leeway they are allowed, or who would authorize the exception), but ended up heading back to the gate.

What was strange was that the delay was not, initially, that long (maybe 30 - 45 minutes) so I would have thought they would build in more time in the duty day for unexpected delays. But maybe they were not the originally scheduled crew for that flight.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 4:42 pm

Programs: QF Gold, WY Gold
Perhaps the crew want to get home and hoping that they would make it out in time?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
I always thought that as long as the plane pushed off the gate before they timed out they could fly. So do they need to be wheels up before the clock runs to zero? Surprised this doesn't happen more often especially at airports that frequently have long taxi/wait times, i.e. ORD
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by ryan182
I always thought that as long as the plane pushed off the gate before they timed out they could fly.
It's complicated, as this 56-page ALPA (Air Line Pilots Association) will demonstrate.

http://www3.alpa.org/portals/alpa/co...quirements.pdf

Maybe an AA pilot could explain why they would call it after pushback and not before.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by jaytcsd
Was there a delay, or did you proceed directly from the gate to the runway?
Old Mar 22, 2017, 6:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It happens. Yes there are indeed exceptions that a crew member can elect to extend hours. However they must meet certain rules and just because they can get an exemption for one set of flights doesn't mean they can get it for another even if hours flown before are the same. For example a crew member flying across multiple time zones can't ask for an exemption even though if they flew the same hours on one time zone they could. There many nuances, and a lot of time the crew may think they're legal or can still use an exemption but really can't.
Old Mar 22, 2017, 9:28 pm

Flight attendants don't normally go illegal. They may have reached their contractual limits however almost always can extend. I suspect they did not communicate much because they had opted not to extend.
Old Mar 23, 2017, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Originally Posted by Jeff767
Flight attendants don't normally go illegal.
I would say that's true in domestic situations. But I think it does happen often overseas, especially in Asia. I had one so crazy I had to write a TR about it. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trip-...a-888-pek.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.