Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Air Wisconsin ends AA agreement in early 2018, moves to UA

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Air Wisconsin ends AA agreement in early 2018, moves to UA

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2017, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
http://www.dallasnews.com/business/a...e-big-airlines

One way to address the pilot shortage is to upgauge smaller regional aircraft, cut back on frequency and possibly lower demand service.
Old Feb 27, 2017, 2:32 pm

A satisfying end to my hate affair with 35X.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:03 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by golfingboy
I do not know what AA plans to do to replace those 65 CR2s with when the contract expires or whether they will extend a smaller contract to help phase in new equipment other than the movement of Envoy E145s to Piedmont/Tran States. Somewhere it was also floated that AA aims to maximize slot limitations at DCA by upgauging 50 seaters to 76 seaters and DCA is planning to build a new terminal designed to mainly accommodate larger RJs such as the E175 to replace the current gate 35x set up for CR2s. AA does have options for up to 90 more E175s.

Air Wisconsin primarily operates CR2 flights out of DCA, PHL, LGA and BOS for AA.
The new terminal is still a good ways off in the future. But, yes, there are big plans for DCA on the north end....Actually the entire B and C terminal as the "National Hall" is slated to be "inside" security as part of the new buildout.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:07 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by BThumme
It's great for losing CRJ2's, sure, but that no doubt means loss of routes that won't be replaced.
It'll be interesting to see what AA does with this. Certainly other feeder carriers can pickup the slack (Trans States, Piedmont, Mesa, Xjet). If AA's Eagle network switches to be mainly E-145s/E-140s instead of CR2s, I won't shed a single tear.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:51 am

Programs: AA, UA, Marriott, Hilton, Avis, Hertz
That's a lot of slack to pick up. That's 50% of the CR2 fleet. Not to mention Piedmont's own plans to retire the Dash fleet over the next couple of years. Better ramp up hiring at Envoy, Piedmont, and PSA, execute some E175 options and quickly shuffle Envoy's CR7 and E145 to PSA and Piedmont! Wonder if the E140s will get another stay of execution, like they did when Republic parked their 20 E170s.

In related CR2 news: http://www.ch-aviation.com/portal/news/51668-expressjet-to-phase-out-crj-200s-by-late-4q17

and: http://seekingalpha.com/article/4043182-skywests-fleet-plans

Expressjet is swapping out 13 CR2 for 12 CR7, and looks like parent company Skywest will also be getting rid of their CR2 fleet as well. If this happens as outlined that would only leave PSA's CR2s and the lone Mesa CR2.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by golfingboy
While this is not exactly news, I noticed there was no mention of this in this forum and knowing many of us despise CR2s, I figure many will be happy to hear this and hope this actually follows through.

The AA/Air Wisconsin contract is set to expire in February 2018 and Air Wisconsin announced this morning they have entered a Capacity Purchase Agreement with UA to operate 65 CR2s for five years with two year contract extension (the same number of the entire current fleet operating for AA).

I do not know what AA plans to do to replace those 65 CR2s with when the contract expires or whether they will extend a smaller contract to help phase in new equipment other than the movement of Envoy E145s to Piedmont/Tran States. Somewhere it was also floated that AA aims to maximize slot limitations at DCA by upgauging 50 seaters to 76 seaters and DCA is planning to build a new terminal designed to mainly accommodate larger RJs such as the E175 to replace the current gate 35x set up for CR2s. AA does have options for up to 90 more E175s.

Air Wisconsin primarily operates CR2 flights out of DCA, PHL, LGA and BOS for AA.
SO. SOO HAPPY. At DCA I would say that historically about half of the schedule was operated with these god awful planes. My worst travel experiences have been at gate 35X and the misery of busses and Air Whisy CRJs. Can't wait to see more CR7s and CR9s.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by BThumme
It's great for losing CRJ2's, sure, but that no doubt means loss of routes that won't be replaced.
As DCA is slot controlled, I don't think it's that easy for AA to just drop routes from DCA.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Great news, and if it means more E175s, great for the Embrear factory outside Taubate in Brazil.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 3:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by Oformula
A satisfying end to my hate affair with 35X.
I only hope that if they ever decide to close Gate 35X, they'll let me have a sign so I can use it as a dartboard.
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:03 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
When did AA announce it was severing its ties with Air Wisconsin?

Yesterday, PSA announced it will have a base at ORF and PHL; both are locations where Air Wisconsin had their bases:
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
See here: Air Wisconsin ends AA agreement in early 2018, moves to UA
Old Feb 8, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
Originally Posted by Antarius
D' Oh!

Didn't see that topic when doing a search.

Moderators: Feel free to delete this topic thread.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors LTDia, Marriott Plat
I hated flying in "The Devil's Chariot", as it's known to UA FF.
Old Feb 9, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: AA - Plat, HHonors - Diamond, IHG - Plat, Marriott - Gold, National - Exec, Amtrak - Select, NEXUS
The last place I run into ZW is on Canadian routes (PHL-YYZ, PHL-YUL, etc.). I won't miss them.
Old Feb 12, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
Sadly, this isn't the end of CR2s. PSA still operates them, and Piedmont still subjects us to the godawful ERJ-145s....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.