Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Wireless mouse not permitted in flight?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Antarius

I stand corrected. Though if you're still using one of those, prohibitions on wireless mice are the least of your problems.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:23 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by rjw242
I stand corrected. Though if you're still using one of those, prohibitions on wireless mice are the least of your problems.
I don't know... That keyboard looks like a dream to type on... Though I suspect you'd wake people up an a redeye typing on that and connecting to gogo might be problematic.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 1:24 pm

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Bluetooth and WiFi (802.11b/g) use the same frequencies. So if the aircraft is has certified WiFi on board, it's effectively been certified for BT as well. On the other hand, never argue with Flight Attendant logic. Never worth it.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 7:45 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I use a wireless mouse at home and, when listening to some radio stations, I hear "sshhhah, shhahh" sounds as I move the mouse. The radio was about six feet away.

So yes, a wireless mouse can give off radio frequencies strong enough to cause interference with avionics.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 8:08 pm

Originally Posted by AllanJ
I use a wireless mouse at home and, when listening to some radio stations, I hear "sshhhah, shhahh" sounds as I move the mouse. The radio was about six feet away.

So yes, a wireless mouse can give off radio frequencies strong enough to cause interference with avionics.
Is your radio hardened against electromagnetic interference to the same standards as avionics? And do you typically sit 6 feet away from the cockpit panel while flying?
Old Feb 25, 2017, 9:57 pm

Come on guys get with it The only reason Cell phones are not allowed is because they cause multiple cell sites on the ground to think your cell phone is closest at the same time. Cell phones do not cause avionic issues. Unbelievable flyertalk members fall for these excuses created by the FCC/FAA/airlines. Do some basic research on how cell sites work and you will understand.
Old Feb 25, 2017, 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by Centurion
Come on guys get with it The only reason Cell phones are not allowed is because they cause multiple cell sites on the ground to think your cell phone is closest at the same time. Cell phones do not cause avionic issues.
Why are you bringing up cell phones when this thread is about a wireless mouse?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 5:36 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I am surprised to hear that the policy has changed. AA changed the manual in late 2014 or early 2015 to allow the use of wireless mice when over 10,000'. I saw it with my own eyes in the FA manual. See my post in this thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aa-manual.html

Since the OP said that the FA showed the passenger something on their device that confirms the ban, I assume the policy was changed again.

It's been a moot point for me, as I never started using a wireless mouse again. I'd been losing them about 4X per year, and since I switched back to wired, I've not lost a mouse since.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 6:59 am
Suspended

Red face

True it was completely, bizarrely, irrelevant, but have you completed the assigned "Do some basic research on how cell sites work and you will understand" homework before commenting?
Old Feb 26, 2017, 7:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
The sole issue at the time for OP is "was this a lawful crewmember order." If it was, then obey it. If it was not, defy it if you wish. There are courts and judges to determine those sorts of things. It just gets unpleasant in the interim.

Alternatively, obey the order, lawful or not and on arrival complain to DOT and to AA that its employees are engaging in unlawful conduct or that AA itself has incorrectly evaluated the risks posed by the technology. You may also choose to fly other carriers until the policy changes.

Displaying your superior tech skills is not helpful.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:05 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Centurion
Come on guys get with it The only reason Cell phones are not allowed is because they cause multiple cell sites on the ground to think your cell phone is closest at the same time. Cell phones do not cause avionic issues. Unbelievable flyertalk members fall for these excuses created by the FCC/FAA/airlines. Do some basic research on how cell sites work and you will understand.
Cell phones are not allowed to prevent air rage and in flight murders.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 8:16 am

Programs: US, AA, Delta, BA, Hilton, Marriot, HYATT
Originally Posted by josmul123
I don't know... That keyboard looks like a dream to type on... Though I suspect you'd wake people up an a redeye typing on that and connecting to gogo might be problematic.
I think it would be delightful to use gogo on it. The speed of gogo and the speed of that laptop certainly match.
Old Feb 26, 2017, 10:01 am

This entire bunch of excrement started because of cell phone ground network problems and the under guise of aircraft avionic problems. Bluetooth is active on planes during flight all over the place and there is no way they can shut it all down from phones, computers, headphones, etc. No in flight avionic instrument caused accidents have been proven to date.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.