FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   ARCHIVE: Transportation Voucher / vouchers / "MCO" FAQ and master thread (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1822138-archive-transportation-voucher-vouchers-mco-faq-master-thread.html)

ERQTraveler Jun 11, 2015 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 24956553)
Airport ticketing would be the quickest. The trick is finding an agent that can/will process it. I've run across several TAs that didn't want to touch them. And should you have a DV voucher that was supposed to be tax free, didn't know how to process them correctly. Talking with Dallas staff, every agent should be able to process them, with directions available on their screen. As the saying goes, you can lead an AAgent to there terminal, but you can't make them read. :(

Thank you for your reply. Was this at a specific airport or a general consensus with vouchers? I don't mind going to the airport but I don't want to waste my time or have to make several trips to find an agent that will process it. I'd be going to LAX.

ERQ

RogerD408 Jun 11, 2015 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by ERQTraveler (Post 24956917)
Thank you for your reply. Was this at a specific airport or a general consensus with vouchers? I don't mind going to the airport but I don't want to waste my time or have to make several trips to find an agent that will process it. I'd be going to LAX.

ERQ

SFO, SJC, ORD, and DFW. Checked with TA and AC AAngels. Finally found two in ORD AC that could do them right. I'd schedule long connections to let the crowds die down before asking them to process them.

If it's not much of a hassle, I'd suggest trying LAX and see what you find. Just leave time to mail if you need to.

johndoe123 Jun 18, 2015 12:26 pm

I have a voucher that expired june 23, 2015.

I can book up to that date for any travel available on their schedule throughout 2015/2016, correct?

todd-r Jun 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123 (Post 24991733)

I can book up to that date for any travel available on their schedule throughout 2015/2016, correct?

Travel can be to end of schedule from day you build the itineray. With the expiry being so close, I would suggest having ticket done at the airport.

RogerD408 Jun 18, 2015 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by johndoe123 (Post 24991733)

The Wiki at the top of this page has what you need to know.

My take is that travel must begin before the voucher expires. I think you waited too long.

johndoe123 Jun 18, 2015 12:34 pm

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 24991773)
The Wiki at the top of this page has what you need to know.

My take is that travel must begin before the voucher expires. I think you waited too long.

It's not clear to me either way. I'm reading it both ways.

The other problem is American Airlines pulled out of our airport since this voucher was used, so there's no ticket counter unless I drive 8 hours.

It's worth $500.

cristo Jun 23, 2015 8:38 am

AA evoucher

I have a few of these evouchers from American due to some recent flight delays. In the conditions, it states that these can be used to purchase flights on American or American Eagle. I was wondering whether I would be able to use these on an AA codeshare flight operated by US? (This whole merger thing is very confusing to the outsider!!)

Sorry, I didn't search hard enough. The following link seems to suggest I can? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-16.html

Apologies!

JDiver Jun 23, 2015 9:15 am

Originally Posted by cristo (Post 25014544)
I have a few of these evouchers from American due to some recent flight delays. In the conditions, it states that these can be used to purchase flights on American or American Eagle. I was wondering whether I would be able to use these on an AA codeshare flight operated by US? (This whole merger thing is very confusing to the outsider!!)

Sorry, I didn't search hard enough. The following link seems to suggest I can? http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...idated-16.html

Apologies!

No worries; we've merged.

Yes, you can - but be aware of some of the challenges of using codeshares.

cristo Jun 23, 2015 10:00 am

Originally Posted by JDiver (Post 25014762)
No worries; we've merged.

Yes, you can - but be aware of some of the challenges of using codeshares.
What sort of challenges are you referring to?

agualis Jul 1, 2015 7:03 am

AA (American Airlines) Vouchers Compensation

Hello everybody. I'm a Spanish customer. Just wanted to share my experience.

October, 2014

We suffer the cancellation of flight AA67 from Barcelona to New York/JFK.
Based on the European Regulation 261/2004, we claim for compensation in two ways:
1) AA Customer Relationship: we never received response.
2) AESA (SPANISH AVIATION SECURITY AGENCY): they process our claim and forward it to AA.

December, 2014

We receive response from AA. It says:

"no compensation is due under the regulation. However, as a goodwill gesture in that we definitely acknowledge your inconvenience, I have issued you a $600 Electronic Transportation Voucher you may apply toward a future ticket purchase with AA/US Airways."

January, 2015

We receive a letter with a physical voucher. We learn how difficult is to use these kind of vouchers: you cannot use them online but you have to send them to an office in Liverpool! (yes, we live in Spain). Furthermore, we find in the internet a lot of bad experiences from another users.
After this information, we guess that AA uses this kind of "trick" to reduce their cost in compensations but we perfectly know our rights so we decide to keep on with our claim through AESA.

May, 2015

AESA issued resolution of our case and they inform that they are going to send a payment request to AA.

May, 2015

We receive an email from AA. It says:
"After further review, you are entitled to one of the following forms of compensation.
A. Monetary payment of 600EUR - or -

B. Transportation voucher in the amount of $1,200.00USD which may be used to purchase travel on American Airlines for you, a friend, or relative."
We have no doubt. We choose the money.

Now we finally have our legitimate compensation but, we still have the "goodwill gesture" vouchers so, why not using them? After all, we think we deserve it after one year fighting.

June, 2015

After doing a deep research, we discover that you can buy tickets using vouchers in the AA office at the Airport of Madrid. Luckily, we have a friend living there so he goes to the AA office (two times):

First try: Opening time is 6:30AM-12:00AM. Bad luck (if they just published it online...).

Second try: Our friend tries to use the vouchers but they say there is some error and they ask him to hold them.

Today (June 2015)

AA tells us that our vouchers have been voided because we have received a monetary compensation. What?
I suppose it means that the "goodwill gesture" does not exist anymore now that they discovered that we exercised our rights. What would have happened if we have used our vouchers before the issue resolution?

It's a pity how AA has tried to avoid its responsibilities. It's a pity how they try to underestimate the intelligence of their customers.

JDiver Jul 1, 2015 7:32 am

AA will often try denying claims and / or fobbing off a voucher of lesser value. In your case, you received a voucher, but your EC261/2004 claim prevailed and you received €600. AA voided the voucher because you hadn't used it and had legitimately requested the €600, which they paid you.

We have a "dicho" in the USA for that: "You can't have your cake and eat it too." Or, "estas en la misa o estas en la procesión". :)

Yes, vouchers are not so easy to use. It's probably a deliberate decision. AA's customer service, in my experience, can at times be as "good" as Iberia's. ;)

ahlaker Jul 1, 2015 10:38 am

Just got off the phone with AA phone agent and supervisor. Long story short: they would like me to pay full price for the ticket then mail in my vouchers to receive refund back on card once vouchers processed.

Needless to say I'm concerned about this approach as it flies in the face of previous experience and all the documentation in this thread. The reason being quoted is that I'm not flying on AA operated flight (my itinerary is YYC-LON on BA operated flight). I've booked and held on AA.COM and I definitely have AA flight numbers.

In addition, the address they've given for voucher mailing is different than the one quoted here and used previously (for AA codeshare flights I might add).

I have some comfort given that I was sent a direct email by the supervisor quoting their internal policy.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

RogerD408 Jul 1, 2015 10:56 am

Originally Posted by ahlaker (Post 25054603)
Just got off the phone with AA phone agent and supervisor. Long story short: they would like me to pay full price for the ticket then mail in my vouchers to receive refund back on card once vouchers processed.

Needless to say I'm concerned about this approach as it flies in the face of previous experience and all the documentation in this thread. The reason being quoted is that I'm not flying on AA operated flight (my itinerary is YYC-LON on BA operated flight). I've booked and held on AA.COM and I definitely have AA flight numbers.

In addition, the address they've given for voucher mailing is different than the one quoted here and used previously (for AA codeshare flights I might add).

I have some comfort given that I was sent a direct email by the supervisor quoting their internal policy.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice!

Sounds sketchy to me, but you do have proof of the instructions (email). You might want to try another call to see if someone will confirm the process to be refunded. I've just never heard of them doing that before.

If you choose to follow their directions, do keep copies of all documents sent in. Also, do you have a means to get a delivery confirmation to be able to prove the envelope arrived?

ahlaker Jul 1, 2015 11:22 am

Originally Posted by RogerD408 (Post 25054694)
Sounds sketchy to me, but you do have proof of the instructions (email). You might want to try another call to see if someone will confirm the process to be refunded. I've just never heard of them doing that before.

If you choose to follow their directions, do keep copies of all documents sent in. Also, do you have a means to get a delivery confirmation to be able to prove the envelope arrived?

Yeah I'm going to give them another call for sure. I'm going to be close to an ATO next week but might lose the fare by then.

Unfortunately no way to guarantee that they've gotten the vouchers - I suppose I could pay FedEx shipping with signature.

Thanks for the advice.

todd-r Jul 1, 2015 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by ahlaker (Post 25054821)
Unfortunately no way to guarantee that they've gotten the vouchers - I suppose I could pay FedEx shipping with signature..

Even sending certified mail with signature return card (they actually dtsmp the card received do no name,) my vouchers were lost internally by AA.
If I were you, I would keep rez on hold and have ticketed by ATO asap.