Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: AA Awards on Cathay Pacific (2015)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:23 am

Booking cx flight

Id like to book cx flight using aa miles for next december. I think aa only open award inventory 330 days out? I called and was told only mid of november latest available. I see only bs.com that december is opened for ba.

If i wait til end of jan to book december, most good seats would be taken. Any idea around this?

I guess i could use ba pts to book now then cancel and book using aa pts as time is closer? This assumes the ba seats are released into inventory and could be booked immediately.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 8:54 am

There is no way around the booking window limit. You will have to wait until AA can book those flights before booking them. If you try to hold them using another program's mileage, the seats will be taken up, but there is no guarantee that if you release them from another program, that it will go back into inventory for AA to see.
Old Dec 27, 2015, 9:42 am

Thx ck.. Thats what i thought.. Is it exactly 330 days? It appears that they can only book nov 18.. Seems like more than 330 days
Old Dec 27, 2015, 10:04 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
Currently in Asia on 5x CX awards, booked thru Avios last year (biz) and was talking to BA yesterday about possibly changing return. Agent pointed out there were 4x F seats on one flight for HKG-LAX. Bummed we hadn't used AA miles, I almost cancelled the Avios bookings and rebooked w AA, but the Avios would take a huge loss due to devaluation since we booked in Jan 2015.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by jamienbaker
Agreed. I've added/deleted segments as many as 7 times to a sole JFKHKG sector given I typically booked the longhaul @330 days and then sort out my vacation over the following several months.
Our usual pattern as well with no issues. We call it perfecting the itinerary which really means be flexible for as long as you can as close to departure as you can. Last year we were on an award ticket between HKG and BKK , got up in BKK and decided we'd rather be in HKG that evening, skyped AA, changed the fight, had breakfast, the ticket had been reissued and we were on our way back to Hong Kong.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 8:49 pm

Originally Posted by worldiswide
Our usual pattern as well with no issues. We call it perfecting the itinerary which really means be flexible for as long as you can as close to departure as you can. Last year we were on an award ticket between HKG and BKK , got up in BKK and decided we'd rather be in HKG that evening, skyped AA, changed the fight, had breakfast, the ticket had been reissued and we were on our way back to Hong Kong.
I like that term. Sums up exactly what you are doing. "Perfecting the Itinerary"

^^^
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:45 pm
E55

So...... if I decide to fly back from SGN or SIN rather than simply the HKG to LAX, would SGN/SIN to HKG likely be added onto the same record locator?

Last edited by Microwave; Jan 19, 2016 at 6:31 am Reason: Removed manual signature
Old Dec 28, 2015, 9:50 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by 110pgl
I like that term. Sums up exactly what you are doing. "Perfecting the Itinerary"
I agree, it's a very good way of doing it and can really help you have the right combination of certainty and perfect itinerary, ultimately.

Coincidentally, OMAAT blog -just- did a piece on the practice:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...icket-changes/

Further coincidentally, I was on that flight w/ Ben and his crew (on my way to Italy via MUC via AUH ) and this was my first time meeting him in person, and, really found him to be one of the warmer, more genuine, more friendly folks I've ever met through this "thing of ours" without a trace of hubris, etc., a truely, genuinely nice guy and a pleasure to have finally met him.
Old Dec 28, 2015, 11:00 pm

Just wanted to say thanks for all the insight in the thread and wiki. Booked SO and I in CX J to BKK end of Jan, have a bit of flexibility so hoping to 'perfect the itinerary' and snag at least an F for her. Still need to book the return but will probably end up doing that from BKK =)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 7:07 am

Yes! But beware of the frequent flyer moralists who will whine about you taking seats out of inventory that you know you might not use! Those people crack me up.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:06 pm

But that only works if you've got high status so you don't pay close in booking fees or change fees, right?
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Superorb
But that only works if you've got high status so you don't pay close in booking fees or change fees, right?
Pretty much, you need exp for no reinstatement fees, but only gold or plat for no close in fees.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Misread post, ignore.
Old Dec 29, 2015, 12:49 pm

Programs: Free agent
Originally Posted by Superorb
Not if you booked the original itinerary 21+ days earlier - all changes are free then, even for mere AAmortals (assuming award inventory exists for the change you want to make)
Old Dec 29, 2015, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by klymen
Not if you booked the original itinerary 21+ days earlier - all changes are free then, even for mere AAmortals (assuming award inventory exists for the change you want to make)
Not quite all. Date changes are free. Segments/connections/carriers changes are free as long as the origin/destination doesn't change.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.