Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Pillows / Quilt Blankets for Domestic First Redeyes New Jan 2017?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, SPG / Marriott GLD, HHonors GLD

Just flew my first non-prem F transcon of 2017 (SFO-MIA) and noticed that there were shrink wrapped (large, cotton cloth-encased) pillow and thicker quilt-style blanket. Much improved! Coming over from DL last year I was so surprised that AA didn't have pillows in F. Took a transcon redeye SFO - PHL towards end of last year and only got the standard fleece blanket so this is clearly a new upgrade. Very happy about it! Pillow is much, much better than what is offered by DL on similar routes.
Old Jan 28, 2017, 5:38 am

Programs: UA 1MM, AA1MM PLTPRO, Hertz PC, National EXC, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Something pmAA used to offer. Great to see it brought back!!!
Old Jan 28, 2017, 9:04 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Don't think this is new, at least I know SEA-JFK and vv has had this for the past 2 years atleast and those are day flights not even red eyes. I haven't done SFO-MIA so maybe it's new to that route but other non-premium transcontinental flights have had these upgraded blankets and pillows for awhile.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:45 am

Would like to take the the LAX to PHL red-eye, anyone know if they will have the new pillows? Otherwise, I'll go back to my LAX to JFK.
Old Jan 29, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA CK, DL GM, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH DIA
Took PHX-PHL in F Friday and had neither.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:06 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
The service standards across the various red-eyes (excluding 3 class transcon) appears to be very inconsistent. My recent experiences include:

LAX-CLT no pillow or larger blanket
LAX-MIA pillow and larger blanket
SAN-MIA no pillow or larger blanket
SMF-CLT no pillow or larger blanket

Is there a place to see what service standards to expect on a specific red-eye? I had originally thought it was the CLT routes that didn't have them so I've been avoiding them. Based on my experiences the criterion cannot be based on distance. I was surprised that there weren't any pillows and blankets on the SAN-MIA route earlier this week.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:37 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by golfmad
The service standards across the various red-eyes (excluding 3 class transcon) appears to be very inconsistent. My recent experiences include:

LAX-CLT no pillow or larger blanket
LAX-MIA pillow and larger blanket
SAN-MIA no pillow or larger blanket
SMF-CLT no pillow or larger blanket

Is there a place to see what service standards to expect on a specific red-eye? I had originally thought it was the CLT routes that didn't have them so I've been avoiding them. Based on my experiences the criterion cannot be based on distance. I was surprised that there weren't any pillows and blankets on the SAN-MIA route earlier this week.
It seems like you only got the pillow and larger blanket on the premium, flagship LAX-MIA route.

As for me, I'm 2 for 2 getting said pillow and larger blanket in the past few months on the 3-4pm LAX-BOS departure. While this route does not fall into the same flagship category that SFO/LAX-JFK and LAX-MIA do (with respect to lounge access and improved catering), I wouldn't be surprised if AA internally had a carve-out for "semi-premium" routes, such as LAX-BOS and SFO-MIA, to get the upgraded amenities--I've once received Bose headsets on LAX-BOS too, which caught me by surprise.

Last edited by dkc192; Jul 13, 2017 at 7:38 pm
Old Jul 13, 2017, 11:39 am

Originally Posted by dkc192
It seems like you only got the pillow and larger blanket on the "premium" LAX-MIA route.

As for me, I'm 2 for 2 getting said pillow and larger blanket in the past few months on the 3-4pm LAX-BOS departure. While this route does not fall into the same "premium" category that SFO/LAX-JFK and LAX-MIA do (with respect to lounge access and improved catering), I wouldn't be surprised if AA internally had a carve-out for "semi-premium" routes, such as LAX-BOS and SFO-MIA, to get the upgraded amenities--I've once received Bose headsets on LAX-BOS too, which caught me by surprise.
Ah, that might explain it. I didn't realize that there was a 'premium' sub category. Is there a full list of premium routes somewhere or is it just the ones you've listed above?
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:38 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Think this used to be designated in the old wiki somewhere, but the official "Flagship Transcon" routes are:

JFK-LAX
JFK-SFO
MIA-LAX

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...our-flight.jsp

Inflight comfort

Settle in with your complimentary pillow and blanket provided so you arrive feeling refreshed.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 1:55 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
Think this used to be designated in the old wiki somewhere, but the official "Flagship Transcon" routes are:

JFK-LAX
JFK-SFO
MIA-LAX

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...our-flight.jsp
Thanks. I'll stick with the MIA-LAX-MIA in future.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
BOS-LAX gets these as well as the Galaxy tablets and Bose headphones. I assume the other PMAA transcon routes that do / did get the enhanced service outside of JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX (like MIA-SFO) probably continue to be provisioned as such.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by daron4000
BOS-LAX gets these as well as the Galaxy tablets and Bose headphones. I assume the other PMAA transcon routes that do / did get the enhanced service outside of JFK-LAX/SFO and MIA-LAX (like MIA-SFO) probably continue to be provisioned as such.
PMAA LAX-IAD used to get the premium pillows, blankets and catering for the non-flagship transcons, but doesn't get anything except the longest tier ordinary catering now.
Old Jul 13, 2017, 8:22 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, MileagePlus, SkyMiles
I'm surprised that pmUS transcons aren't getting them. Some are more premium than others, such as LAX-PHL and maybe SFO-CLT.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.