Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 3, 2018, 6:05 am
EdV

Programs: SPG Plat, PC Plat, AA ExPlat, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
There is a big difference ; flying is just a way for getting to a destination whilst a restaurant/honeymoon/go to cinema is the destination
That's your opinion. In an informal survey I took of my 20 closest coworkers - 75% said flying is part of the destination. Those who said it wasn't were the 25% of us who fly all the time. Two ways of seeing the same thing and I'm guessing how a majority of the population would fall in line.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:29 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EdV
That's your opinion. In an informal survey I took of my 20 closest coworkers - 75% said flying is part of the destination. Those who said it wasn't were the 25% of us who fly all the time. Two ways of seeing the same thing and I'm guessing how a majority of the population would fall in line.
Unless the destination of the trip was an aeroplane, I think that the 75% need to check the definition of destination
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:37 am
EdV

Unless the destination of the trip was an aeroplane, I think that the 75% need to check the definition of destination
Sure but that's semantics. You know what it is I'm saying (and the other poster) - lots of people include the entire voyage as part of their journey / destination whatever you call it. To a lot of people it's a big factor in how they feel their trip "went" whether they enjoyed it or not. You choose not to see it that way, nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying it's more likely that the general population does not share that view.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:41 am

Originally Posted by EdV
Sure but that's semantics. You know what it is I'm saying (and the other poster) - lots of people include the entire voyage as part of their journey / destination whatever you call it. To a lot of people it's a big factor in how they feel their trip "went" whether they enjoyed it or not. You choose not to see it that way, nothing wrong with that. I'm just saying it's more likely that the general population does not share that view.
And for those that view it as important to sit together can make a booking and pay for seat assignments; there is nothing stopping them from doing so
Old Jan 3, 2018, 7:54 am
EdV

And for those that view it as important to sit together can make a booking and pay for seat assignments; there is nothing stopping them from doing so
Oh exactly, no disagreement from me on that point at all. In fact, you're making my point that to those people probably view it as part of their destination and they should indeed pay for seat assignments if it's that important to them. To me it's actually not - when my wife and I aren't on AA and are buying these types of fares we have no issue sitting apart for a flight. Sure, we'll try and switch with others to sit next to each other if reasonably feasible but won't get crazy doing it.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:01 am

Originally Posted by EdV
Oh exactly, no disagreement from me on that point at all. In fact, you're making my point that to those people probably view it as part of their destination and they should indeed pay for seat assignments if it's that important to them. .
Not really making a point there... In post 693 I commented that people do not generally have a NEED to sit together ( there are some exceptions ) but that where passengers WANT to sit together they can pay to do so

I then commented that a flight is a means to get to a destination rather than the destination itself when it was compared to a restaurant/cinema ; I still cannot see that it is different to wanting to sit together on bus to the cinema

There is no way ( apart from a joyflight ) where I could see the flight to a destination as being the destination

One person who I know who has only recently had travels on aeroplanes ( my foster son ) whose preference is to have a window seat than anything else. As such we have sat apart on most flights
Old Jan 3, 2018, 8:51 am
EdV

Not really making a point there... In post 693 I commented that people do not generally have a NEED to sit together ( there are some exceptions ) but that where passengers WANT to sit together they can pay to do so

I then commented that a flight is a means to get to a destination rather than the destination itself when it was compared to a restaurant/cinema ; I still cannot see that it is different to wanting to sit together on bus to the cinema

There is no way ( apart from a joyflight ) where I could see the flight to a destination as being the destination

One person who I know who has only recently had travels on aeroplanes ( my foster son ) whose preference is to have a window seat than anything else. As such we have sat apart on most flights
Oh sorry, I read your comments together as making the point that people don't need to sit together but want to do so. And I agree that if that important they should pay to do so.

But you are exactly making mine (and other poster's point) that there are cases where people see the flight as part of the destination. You mentioned it as a joy flight. For a lot of people who do not fly maybe more than once per year the flight is most definitely part of the entire trip and destination. Riding a car, bus, train is much more common for majority of people than flying. That's what makes it special for them. I'm just saying that your experience is not indicative of everyone else's and I'm guessing that more people than not view sitting together on flights more importantly than you do. Nothing wrong with either opinion.

Anyhow, good discussion and to the main point of this thread. Yes, you have to know and be aware of what you're getting when booking BE fares. Thankfully my company TA doesn't book them.
Old Jan 3, 2018, 11:51 pm

Programs: AA EP
I see both sides to this argument, but I think it's worth resurfacing that these tickets are not cheaper than when there were no BE fares for the same route. But some of you are treating them as they are. These are simply more restricted fares, and AA is masquerading BE as a win to consumers. It took them awhile, but in September AA admitted that BE is not a price reduction but rather just a way to charge more for the same of what they've always sold for less. And you can bet that they wouldn't be doing this if DL and UA weren't also doing this.

My frustration circles back to the feeling of being punished as an elite. I've given them more than twelve thousand dollars last calendar year and now have to buy a special, more expensive fare to enjoy my "unlimited complimentary" upgrades. Not all Plat Pro and EP flyers have endless travel budgets and immediately buy FC tickets. These new BE fares negate the freedom that I was looking forward to of not having to count, pay for, and use stickers with each flight. And the reduced EQM just feels petty — cheapoair customers don't even know what EQM is, let alone have an aadvantage account. That (literally) only has impact to their loyal customers, and it just seems so damn punitive.

This has a direct impact on the budget conscious traveler, both non-elite and elite. That AA doesn't seem to care about the impact to the second group is what concerns me.

Old Jan 9, 2018, 6:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My son is flying tomorrow on a domestic Basic Economy ticket with a friend. He is the primary cardholder on a Citi AAdvantage credit card. He's going on a camping trip and needs some gear. Reading the rules on AA's website, it seems crystal clear to me that he is entitled to a checked bag, a regular carry-on and a personal item. It is slightly less clear (but I think correct) that his companion gets the same benefits

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

I've spoken to two Elite desk employees who didn't think he was allowed to bring the full-sized carry-on. I then also spoke with an AA rez supervisor who also thought he wasn't entitled to the carry-on but, after a ten minute conversation, finally believed that my interpretation of the rules is correct, and put the same in my son's reservation.

I printed out the boarding passes: my son and his friend are in Group 5. My son's boarding pass says "Credit cardmember" next to it, and his friend's says "Main." I'm guessing "Main" means "Main Cabin" (aka, normal carry-on baggage allotment). I've heard that "ordinary" basic economy pax get a big "B" on their boarding passes to alert gate staff about their luggage restrictions, and my son's tickets don't have that on them.

So I feel fairly confident that my son will not be hassled on his baggage allowance. Is my confidence warranted? I am surprised and a bit concerned by the ignorance of the AA employees. I assume the airport personnel are more thoroughly trained on this subject, and pax who follow the rules don't get needlessly hassled. It would also seem that the folks who are paying for the AA credit cards deserve better clarification on these valuable benefits: I'm guessing very few would understand the confusing verbiage on the website, and obviously the reservations staff can't help them.
Old Jan 9, 2018, 7:06 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
While it's true that BE fares in general aren't lower than the fares that existed before BE was introduced, those fares are historically low in many markets. LAX-MIA had drifted lower and lower until sub $350 was my benchmark for a really good deal. A couple of years ago, $450 was my benchmark.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:08 am

Programs: AA PLT, WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by iahphx
Is my confidence warranted?
Your son and his friend will have their usual credit card enabled baggage allowance for checked and carry-on. Group 9 is for basic economy without an AA credit card or elite status. That is when the baggage restrictions apply.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by beachfan
While it's true that BE fares in general aren't lower than the fares that existed before BE was introduced, those fares are historically low in many markets. LAX-MIA had drifted lower and lower until sub $350 was my benchmark for a really good deal. A couple of years ago, $450 was my benchmark.
This.

Comparing what was in the past to what is today is a poor economic model.

Carriers, including AA, don't set prices based on what they want to charge, they set them based on what consumers will pay. If a carrier can't make money charging what consumers will pay, it goes bust.
Old Jan 10, 2018, 8:13 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards/AAdvantage
Originally Posted by iahphx
My son is flying tomorrow on a domestic Basic Economy ticket with a friend. He is the primary cardholder on a Citi AAdvantage credit card. He's going on a camping trip and needs some gear. Reading the rules on AA's website, it seems crystal clear to me that he is entitled to a checked bag, a regular carry-on and a personal item. It is slightly less clear (but I think correct) that his companion gets the same benefits

https://www.aa.com/i18n/travel-info/...ic-economy.jsp

I've spoken to two Elite desk employees who didn't think he was allowed to bring the full-sized carry-on. I then also spoke with an AA rez supervisor who also thought he wasn't entitled to the carry-on but, after a ten minute conversation, finally believed that my interpretation of the rules is correct, and put the same in my son's reservation.

I printed out the boarding passes: my son and his friend are in Group 5. My son's boarding pass says "Credit cardmember" next to it, and his friend's says "Main." I'm guessing "Main" means "Main Cabin" (aka, normal carry-on baggage allotment). I've heard that "ordinary" basic economy pax get a big "B" on their boarding passes to alert gate staff about their luggage restrictions, and my son's tickets don't have that on them.

So I feel fairly confident that my son will not be hassled on his baggage allowance. Is my confidence warranted? I am surprised and a bit concerned by the ignorance of the AA employees. I assume the airport personnel are more thoroughly trained on this subject, and pax who follow the rules don't get needlessly hassled. It would also seem that the folks who are paying for the AA credit cards deserve better clarification on these valuable benefits: I'm guessing very few would understand the confusing verbiage on the website, and obviously the reservations staff can't help them.
He will not have any issues since he is not in group 9

By the way flew Basic LAS - DFW on Friday was only $72 one way was a great flight, even tikets were available that day for the same price. I thought it was great
Old Jan 14, 2018, 4:59 pm

I rarely fly revenue flights but will soon have to take an AA flight with 3 family members. I have the Citi AAdvantage and also the Aviator Red card. Will the benefits of free carry-on luggage apply to the 3 other people in my itinerary?
Old Jan 17, 2018, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Stumbled upon a strange BE fare today which I booked looking for a quick long weekend away from Houston. IAH-SFO round trip for $96.00, booked today for a Jan 20 departure. Regular economy was about ~$700 higher. I couldn't beat that on a ULCC if I tried. Not sure how selling me this with a $46 base fare, the balance being taxes and fees is at all profitable, but whatever, thanks AA. It's about time for my once every two years revenue flight on AA metal anyway Last one was Nov 2015.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.