Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: IADCAflyer
What is Basic Economy?
Basic Economy is (generally) the lowest, "no-frills" Main Cabin (Economy) fare on American Airlines and their Atlantic Joint Business partners (British Airways, Iberia, and Finnair). Basic Economy fares on American Airlines book into the As the lowest fare, it has some special restrictions that other Main Cabin fares do not.

What are the Restrictions?
You can read American Airlines' web page summarizing Basic Economy for the exact details, but there are a few points that likely matter most to FlyerTalkers:
  1. Your first checked bag will cost money on a Basic Economy fare*.
  2. Your seat will be automatically assigned when you check in and unchangeable, unless you pay to change your seat. You may pay to reserve a seat any time after booking*.
  3. No elite upgrades to first class, or complimentary access to preferred seats (green on the seat map) or Main Cabin Extra (orange on the seat map)*.
  4. You will board last, in Group 9 for domestic flights or Group 8 for international flights*. On a full flight, this likely means you will have to gate check your carry-on bag (which is free)*.
  5. You will earn 50% EQMs per mile flown and 0.5 EQS per segment. You will earn full RDMs (based on fare flown) and EQDs.
  6. Changes are not permitted (worldwide from 01APR21).
  7. In IRROPS, Basic Economy customers will not be re-accommodated on other airlines, and will have to wait for the next American Airlines flight (or BA/IB/AY for INTL).

* exceptions apply for American Airlines elite-level frequent flyers as noted below.

Despite these restrictions, Basic Economy can be a good value in certain circumstances.

Are the seats or service any different?
Once you are on the airplane, the experience (seats / drinks / snacks) will be identical to regular Main Cabin.

How can I tell if I have a Basic Economy fare?
Your reservation on aa.com may say it. Basic Economy fares on American Airlines flights book into the B booking class, though Basic Economy fares on BA/IB/AY and their AA* codeshares can book into almost any revenue booking class.

I have an AA credit card, what does that get me?
Yes, if you have an American Airlines credit card that comes with preferred boarding or a free checked bag on domestic itineraries, you will receive those benefits. Additionally, if you have a Citi Executive card, you may use the Admirals Club as normal.

I have AA elite status, what does that get me?
You WILL get the following elite benefits when you buy a Basic Economy fare (note this is not an exhaustive list, basically everything not expressly forbidden is allowed):
  1. 1/2/3 checked bag fees waives, depending on status.
  2. Priority check-in / security / boarding.
  3. Lounge access, if applicable.
You WILL NOT receive the following elite benefits on a Basic Economy fare:
  1. No same-day standby or same-day confirmed flight changes, paid or otherwise.
Will I be seated with my child?
As it does today, American’s reservations system will check for families traveling with children 13 and under a few days before the flight, and attempt to seat each child with an adult. This is the same process we follow for Main Cabin customers.
Families with children over 13 will have to pay for seat assignments to be seated with their children.

I am flying on a British Airways, Iberia, or Finnair airplane, is anything different?
If you do not have AA or oneworld elite status, the restrictions are quite similar and you should expect to pay for everything: paid checked bags, paid seat selection, and no changes / cancellations. Depending on available fare classes, you may have an opportunity to earn additional redeemable miles or elite qualifying dollars by booking a BA / IB / AY flight number instead of an AA flight number; check your options and the partner earning charts on AA for each respective airline (British Airways, Iberia, Finnair).

If you have status, buckle up, because it gets technical, though there are some opportunities to cherry pick benefits and save money. This has been already summarized in the counterpart to this thread on the British Airways forum.​​, so we will not reproduce it here. Note the following correspondences between status levels:
  • AA Gold - BA Bronze - oneworld Ruby
  • AA Platinum or Platinum Pro - BA Silver - oneworld Sapphire
  • AA Executive Platinum or Concierge Key - BA Gold - oneworld Emerald
Generally, there seem to be the following opportunities for arbitrage:
  • If you are a Platinum, Platinum Pro, or Executive Platinum elite, you can generally book Iberia or Finnair-operated Basic Economy flights and not notice any baggage or seating restrictions, as long as they were not marketed by BA.
  • If you do not care about your seat assignment, you can book AA-operated flights with an IB or AY flight number and still receive a checked bag if you are Platinum or higher. You may earn more or fewer RDMs, EQMs, and EQDs.
  • If you do not need to check a bag, you can book BA-operated flights with any flight number, and can choose your seat (7 days in advance for Gold, at booking for Platinum and higher, Exit Rows for EXP).
Print Wikipost

Basic Economy Fare as of 2017 (also AY, BA, IB), incl. elite benefits (Master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Mar 12, 2018, 10:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
So this brings the end to using SWUs on cheap fares overseas as I’m sure the difference between basic economy and the cheapest economy fare class will be huge.

It’s also a horrible issue for people whose companies make them book the cheapest fare which is often in basic economy. I have dealt with several issues just this past month with trying to explain to travel agents about what basic economy is and to not book me on it; they always think I’m asking for business even though I’m just saying do not book me in basic economy. Airlines are not doing biz travelers any favors; this will just send them to the lower fare carriers and give go on loyalty programs altogether.
A "travel agent" who doesn't know the difference between "Basic Economy" fares and regular discount economy fares is not someone I would call a travel agent............
I would hate to be in a situation where I am traveling for work and might have to travel TATL or TAPL in a middle regular economy seat because I was traveling on a basic economy fare and could not select a seat
Old Mar 29, 2018, 9:34 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Marriott Silver, HH Gold
Traveled recently on my first basic economy flights on AA. A little nerve-wracking as I hate checking my bags.

First flight:

Difference in price was significant, maybe a $150-175 delta. As I have the Aviator Red credit card, I should have received 1+1 carry-on and a free checked bag (but I wasn't sure, not too any reports here). My Apple Passbook boarding pass did say "credit cardmember" on it. When I boarded with Group 6, basically the entire plane had already boarded, and after scanning my boarding pass, the gate agent looks at my bag and says, you have to check that. (This was a smaller plane, E175 I think). Then she looks at my record on her computer and loudly says "YOU HAVE A BASIC ECONOMY TICKET. YOU WILL NEED TO PAY TO CHECK THAT BAG".

She asks what group I'm in, I say Group 5, and I explain I have the credit card, and should have a free checked bag, and she repeats loudly that she thinks I need to pay for the bag, but isn't sure. The other agent helping to tag bags takes me aside, looks at my group and sees Group 5, types away a bit, and a moment later, tags my bag for free and I get on the jetway.

Since this is a 2x2 seating plane, there are no bad seats, really.

Flight 2:

Difference in price for this leg was $200+. 737 flight, and as I can't select seats until check-in, I am in a middle seat. At the gate, I ask nicely if there's any possibility of changing to a window seat. Agent doesn't say a word, types away, and moments later I'm in a window seat with an empty middle. Probably very YMMV here, but definitely felt like I got lucky. No questions about carry-on or checking bags.

All in all, not a fan of basic economy as it just adds additional stress to the whole experience. But when the price difference is this significant, there's really no choice as it's all an economy seat and the only benefit I need from the regular economy seat is carry-on.
Old Mar 30, 2018, 8:39 am

Programs: AA EP; WN CP;UA SILVER; MARRIOTT TITANIUM; HH DIAMOND; IHG PLAT; RADISSON PLAT; HYATT GLOBAL
Because of Basic Economy, I was able to purchase 4 tickets to OGG at $350 rt each during peak holiday season. Regular economy was +$800, I would have not bought at that price. I have cobranded card, so will get luggage and admirals club, also lifetime Platinum so don't care about EQM/$ , but no MCE seat assignment that I will miss.

The real question is that if this $350 fare would have occurred regardless of BE (as in a sale) or it was an effect of BE pricing?

PS. For the past 2 years I have monitoring HI, seen many sales from west coast and NY, but none from ORD, so decided to jump on this since southwest will not fly this year

Last edited by ORD-TGU; Mar 30, 2018 at 8:45 am
Old Mar 30, 2018, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, AS MVP, WN A-List, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Exp, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ORD-TGU
Because of Basic Economy, I was able to purchase 4 tickets to OGG at $350 rt each during peak holiday season. Regular economy was +$800, I would have not bought at that price. I have cobranded card, so will get luggage and admirals club, also lifetime Platinum so don't care about EQM/$ , but no MCE seat assignment that I will miss.

The real question is that if this $350 fare would have occurred regardless of BE (as in a sale) or it was an effect of BE pricing?

PS. For the past 2 years I have monitoring HI, seen many sales from west coast and NY, but none from ORD, so decided to jump on this since southwest will not fly this year
Regardless most likely
Old Apr 1, 2018, 4:32 pm

I am trying to figure out the disadvantages of BE for OWS/OWE. Do I understand this correctly?
- You still get free checked bags and priority boarding and regular carry on allowance.
- Lounge access rules are identical.
- You don't free seat choice and therefore no free preferred seats e.g. Main Cabin Extra.
- Other than that same disadvantages as non status pax, i.e. worse conditions during IROPS and worse yield of status points and miles.
Old Apr 1, 2018, 5:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Originally Posted by makrom
I am trying to figure out the disadvantages of BE for OWS/OWE. Do I understand this correctly?
- You still get free checked bags and priority boarding and regular carry on allowance.
- Lounge access rules are identical.
- You don't free seat choice and therefore no free preferred seats e.g. Main Cabin Extra.
- Other than that same disadvantages as non status pax, i.e. worse conditions during IROPS and worse yield of status points and miles.
That's about right. It may be possible to work at MCE byt YMMV.

With the last point, with Qantas & BA there is no earn at all for BE fares - so definitely "worse" for many.
Old May 5, 2018, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
So, someone else booked my flight for a DOMESTIC professional trip, and for $20 savings they booked me in BE, despite my explicit request not to. So instead of flying upgraded in First, I now have to scramble to avoid the middle seat on a 5-hour flight...SIGH....

Anyway, can someone give me some updated experiences about this train wreck that BE is...

1. Do EXPs still get the free food item and drink in BE?

2. At OLCI, can you move your assigned seat AT ALL? Do you ever get any options to move it, and do you ever see any aisle seats open?

3. Has anyone ever called the EXP line either before the OLCI or after, and do you ever get to move it to at least an aisle seat, if not a PE seat?

4. At the gate, do people get at least an aisle seat (by asking, of course)? Do you ever get PE? Has anyone EXP ever asked to be put on the upgrade list?

I am sooo annoyed I have to deal with this BS for $20 on a 5-hour flight... My return flight is empty in First, and I can't get it because they wanted to save $20, argh...

Last edited by nk15; May 5, 2018 at 4:43 pm
Old May 5, 2018, 5:03 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by nk15
So, someone else booked my flight for a DOMESTIC professional trip, and for $20 savings they booked me in BE, despite my explicit request not to.
Is it too late to upfare with your own money either through your corporate TA or call AA and see if you can get them to take over the ticket and do it?
thunderlounge likes this.
Old May 5, 2018, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rustykettel

Is it too late to upfare with your own money either through your corporate TA or call AA and see if you can get them to take over the ticket and do it?
Yea, too late, a couple of days later the price doubled for the main cabin. Is that even possible in theory, have people done it?
Old May 7, 2018, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

So, someone else booked my flight for a DOMESTIC professional trip, and for $20 savings they booked me in BE, despite my explicit request not to. So instead of flying upgraded in First, I now have to scramble to avoid the middle seat on a 5-hour flight...SIGH....

Anyway, can someone give me some updated experiences about this train wreck that BE is...

1. Do EXPs still get the free food item and drink in BE?

2. At OLCI, can you move your assigned seat AT ALL? Do you ever get any options to move it, and do you ever see any aisle seats open?

3. Has anyone ever called the EXP line either before the OLCI or after, and do you ever get to move it to at least an aisle seat, if not a PE seat?

4. At the gate, do people get at least an aisle seat (by asking, of course)? Do you ever get PE? Has anyone EXP ever asked to be put on the upgrade list?

I am sooo annoyed I have to deal with this BS for $20 on a 5-hour flight... My return flight is empty in First, and I can't get it because they wanted to save $20, argh...
Any suggestions or recent experiences about these?
Old May 7, 2018, 11:39 pm

Any suggestions or recent experiences about these?
I'm not EXP obviously...so I can't speak to those points. But I've bought a lot of AA BE in the last few months as an Aviator cardholder b/c of significant fare differences.

As far as your seat assignment questions go, AA's system appears to be punitive for assigning BE seats at check-in: it appears to assign middle first from the back to the front (including MCE and Preferred). I had one flight where there were only like 3 seats available, all preferred, all aisle/window, and I got a window...otherwise, I'm batting 95% getting a middle seat. When I asked to be moved at the gate once, the GA tried but informed me only middles were open. No idea on the upgrade list...but obviously it says you're ineligible

After it assigns it however, you are able to pay to change your seat to whatever you'd like that's open. On a 5 hour flight I'd imagine it'll be pricey even for the main cabin seats, but YMMV. In your case the $20 is ridiculous and a hassle for sure, but I've saved hundreds on a few flights with BE so far, and as a cardholder, very few complaints...
Old May 8, 2018, 4:12 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by jk88usa
As far as your seat assignment questions go, AA's system appears to be punitive for assigning BE seats at check-in: it appears to assign middle first from the back to the front (including MCE and Preferred). I had one flight where there were only like 3 seats available, all preferred, all aisle/window, and I got a window...otherwise, I'm batting 95% getting a middle seat. When I asked to be moved at the gate once, the GA tried but informed me only middles were open.
Perhaps two strong forces are competing with each other:
#1 AA's desire to convert a customer into a repeat customer
#2 AA's desire to make flying as miserable as possible.

And is looks like Option #2 won the competition.
Old May 8, 2018, 7:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Perhaps two strong forces are competing with each other:
#1 AA's desire to convert a customer into a repeat customer
#2 AA's desire to make flying as miserable as possible.

And is looks like Option #2 won the competition.
Not really - by getting fares lower , it helps convert someone booking on fare to a repeat customer; AA doesn't force people to buy the cheaper ticket
Old May 8, 2018, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage, SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Not really - by getting fares lower , it helps convert someone booking on fare to a repeat customer; AA doesn't force people to buy the cheaper ticket
These are not "lower fares", these are the old fares converted to BE and now the main cabin fares are an extra $20+.
beachfan and OTD like this.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:36 pm

Programs: ʙᴏɴᴠo̱ʏ Au, IHG Au, HH Dia, Nexus, Pilot FlyingJ Preferred
Originally Posted by jk88usa
As far as your seat assignment questions go, AA's system appears to be punitive for assigning BE seats at check-in: it appears to assign middle first from the back to the front (including MCE and Preferred).
So punishing elite and those that pay for MCE/Preferred as well by seating someone in the middle. Someone that can't easily change to another seat, even if it's open. Nice AA, way to make everyone suffer .

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.