Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Agent split my PNR with 4 year old

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2017, 9:55 pm
Original Poster

Agent split my PNR with 4 year old

Hey guys, I had put an AA reservation on hold for me and my 4 year old traveling tranpac. I then used some AA gift cards to pay and applied SWU. However, one of the gift cards had a problem so I had to call in to finish booking. Somehow during that process, I was charged for two adults instead of the emailed confirmed hold summary of one adult and one child. I called AA and explained the problem. Unfortunately, my caller dropped, but the agent was able to issue a refund in the price difference. However in the process, he split my 4 year olds PNR and now she will not be able to benefit from my EXP status as a companion and any upgrade I may receive, I will now have to decline it so that I can sit with her. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
If this just happened - can you cancel and rebook on one pnr? (they might be able to link the pnrs for swu purposes, but if you can get back into one pnr, that seems safer)
Old Jan 10, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Hilton
I don't think you want a 4-year-old on their own PNR. Lots can go wrong with IRROPS, schedule changes resulting in changed seat assignments, etc.

Best to call, get an experience agent on the line, and have the tickets cancelled, and reconstructed into a new PNR. It's not something AA willingly does (since it's a bit complicated) so you will have to plead your case, and hope it works out.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 11:00 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Other than cancel and rebook, there isn't much to do about 2 PNRs
Old Jan 12, 2017, 11:29 pm
Original Poster

thanks for the suggestions guys, I tried to contact AA to explain my case. The EXP agent told me its $300 change fee, of course I declined and didn't press the issue further. I guess I will just hope everything works out unless someone else has another suggestion. THanks
Old Jan 13, 2017, 1:14 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by babypuwet
thanks for the suggestions guys, I tried to contact AA to explain my case. The EXP agent told me its $300 change fee, of course I declined and didn't press the issue further. I guess I will just hope everything works out unless someone else has another suggestion. THanks
The issue is AA's fault to begin with. I'd definitely call again!
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
I doubt that it will be a problem. When you actually get to checkin or the gate, they're not going to let a child of that age fly alone.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 8:35 am

I have a trip where my 13 year old daughters were on a different pnr because I used miles. Due to a schedule change by AA, they were auto rebooked on different flights than Mr. Zeke320 (who is EXP) because they did not have any status associated with their booking. Apparently, rebooking occurs in order of status and I was done earlier then my daughters and when they finally rebooked them, there was no more room on my flight. Was able to fix but was angry that they separated us as they were listed as minors and there was a note in the booking that referred to Mr. Zeke320 pnr and not to separate. Long story short, try and get your child on same pnr.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:18 am

I've had this a few times because they failed to apply to child discount. It sometimes prevents online check-in but if the route you are flying is not prone to delays, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Old Jan 13, 2017, 11:46 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
Originally Posted by erik123
I've had this a few times because they failed to apply to child discount. It sometimes prevents online check-in but if the route you are flying is not prone to delays, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
OP s issue is swu clearing
Old Jan 13, 2017, 7:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by babypuwet
Hey guys, I had put an AA reservation on hold for me and my 4 year old traveling tranpac. I then used some AA gift cards to pay and applied SWU. However, one of the gift cards had a problem so I had to call in to finish booking. Somehow during that process, I was charged for two adults instead of the emailed confirmed hold summary of one adult and one child. I called AA and explained the problem. Unfortunately, my caller dropped, but the agent was able to issue a refund in the price difference. However in the process, he split my 4 year olds PNR and now she will not be able to benefit from my EXP status as a companion and any upgrade I may receive, I will now have to decline it so that I can sit with her. Is there anything that can be done to fix this?
If you had already successfully applied the SWUs the first time around there should be no issue with getting your child upgraded. But you have to know how to work the AAgents. Keep calling until you get the right one.

Good EXP agents will move mountains to make things right if you are not at fault (and often even if you are).

If you were just waitlisted then again you have to keep calling until you find an agent that will let you cancel and rebook (on a single new PNR) without a fee.

Last edited by vasantn; Jan 13, 2017 at 10:19 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 16, 2017, 3:57 am
Original Poster

thanks again for all the replies. I've tried to call AA and again was advised that if only one of us got upgraded, I would have the option of declining the upgrade in order to sit with my daughter. Its not the end of the world, although it is a minor annoyance. I just hope that C space becomes available for both of us to be upgraded.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.