Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Flight [xx] Cancellation / Delay / Diversion etc. on [date] (consolidated)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 1, 2017, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024

With hundreds of annual reports of and queries about delayed, diverted, canceled flights we have established this consolidated thread to prevent these from overwhelming other forum threads.

For assistance and useful resources when your flight is affected, see AA OSO, IROPS / IRROPS, travel policy, delay, cancel etc. resources (master thread)

● For information on current and recent AA flight delays, check out: AACargo.com

● For information on U.S. Airport Delays, check out: FAA Flight Delay Information

● For information about holds, delays, etc. on airports, flights, historical data check FlightStats.

KVS Availability Tool - read here for further information, with access to WSpan Operational Info.

ExpertFlyer also provides FLIFO / Flight Status Comments for current flights in it's Flight Status section here.

● For "translation" of FLIFO terms, use this page on FlyerGuide.

● For current and forecasted weather delays, use Weather.com Airport Delays

● To see a flight's path within the US radar areas and delay histories, use FlightAware flight tracking. (N.B. Some features require a free signup.)
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2017, 7:55 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Paperwork delay BOS_LAX 166

At the airport. We are being told that the flight paperwork has not arrived. We are now 1hr past departure. Not sure I've heard this delay excuse before. Any insights?

Of course all of the AA and non-AA sites say that the flight has boarded. That's what they thought in the Club as well.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:04 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Score8
At the airport. We are being told that the flight paperwork has not arrived. We are now 1hr past departure. Not sure I've heard this delay excuse before. Any insights?
It happens. Are you suggesting they're lying about the reason for the delay?
Old Mar 1, 2017, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K
Had a one hour delay LAX-BOS on B6 for paperwork on Monday...it happens from time to time
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
It could be paperwork for cargo, paperwork for maintenance, paperwork for fuel, etc...
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:21 am

Of course all of the AA and non-AA sites say that the flight has boarded. That's what they thought in the Club as well.
Not necessarily uncommon. I've had to return to the gate because of issues with the paperwork as well.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 10:22 am

For those that listen to ATC ground feeds it is very common to hear pilots waiting on paperwork or numbers to pushback or taxi for departure.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 11:34 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis

This has been a commonly reported delay reason for at least a couple of years. It's not unusual for aintebabce to be done, but the aircraft's log, which must be onboard before the aircraft can fly, is requiring an authorized signature and has gone missing.

Some speculation has been offered that mechanics / engineers have been sequestering the log and causing unnecessary paperwork delays as a way of manifesting dissatisfaction with progress on a labor contract with AA.
Old Mar 1, 2017, 4:54 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
Originally Posted by rjw242
It happens. Are you suggesting they're lying about the reason for the delay?
I'm a big fan of the occasional conspiracy theory, but unfortunately no, I'm not claiming that here. It just felt strange that a series of other flights were heading out ORD, DFW, JFK in adjacent gates but that somehow our flight was delayed for paperwork. Our pilot kept us off the plane until they had it (actually he was also elsewhere waiting for it to arrive) since in his words "it doesn't make sense for you to sit here on an already long flight for an undetermined length of time."

I guess if I had experienced delays of this kind previously, I might have remembered it, but it's possible I was focused on other things. The only thing that was obtuse (and disappointing) was that the Club folks were unaware of the delay at all and kept uninformed throughout the process.

I'm now in LAX and experiencing a mechanical delay of at least 1.5 hours. Overall a fail, I suppose, today.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 5:06 pm

Programs: QF, BA
I was on AA86 ORD - LHR, scheduled 18:40 on 5 March. Seems bizarre as the 767-300 dinosaur had arrived from PDX at 13:00.

Eventually left gate at 19:50, arriving 3h24m late.

Not the best AA Long-haul experience, particularly concerning this happened upon touchdown.
Old Mar 7, 2017, 7:47 pm

Programs: All the programs!
Originally Posted by joequimby
Not the best AA Long-haul experience, particularly concerning this happened upon touchdown.
Did candy or other hidden items fall out?
Old Mar 8, 2017, 2:53 pm

AA72 LAX-SYD Sun 3/5 diverted to HNL

It looks like AA73 LAX-SYD (Sunday March 05) diverted to HNL perhaps back tracking with over 7 hours in the air. Did not arrive in SYD until Wednesday March 08.
No AA72 SYD-LAX operated on Tuesday.
Wednesday seems to have an AA to LAX departure at both 11:15 and 21:15
Old Mar 8, 2017, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Bad Winds AA 3355

AA 3355 MIA-CLE diverted to CMH do to high winds. Left to head to CLE then got diverted to PIT where it is still sitting.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 4:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by buckeyefanflyer
AA 3355 MIA-CLE diverted to CMH do to high winds. Left to head to CLE then got diverted to PIT where it is still sitting.
sounds fun
Old Mar 13, 2017, 2:50 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Well this one's new for me. AA 482 from PHL-ORD today is delayed because someone on the inbound flight crashed against the bulkhead between F and Y with such force that they tore it loose from its mountings. The plane is delayed indefinitely while maintenance tries to remove it and fix it or remove it and replace it. Thankfully I got the last seat on a nonstop to my final destination but I imagine it's going to cause a lot of people some grief.
Old Mar 13, 2017, 3:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: AA EXP Lifetime Platinum, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by vatali
Saw a strange one yesterday. While still on the ground in ORD, the SFO flight in the afternoon was announced it was going to San Jose instead and they would transport people. you heard 100 people all groan at once and start arranging transportation.

Feel bad for all the people who were then going to go to CX or QF. that would make for a LONG LONG day.
I was on that flight in F. I was notified through the mobile app 6 hours before departure but none of the signs at the airport indicated the diversion. Worse, they only made one announcement so folks walking up afterward didn't hear it.

When the FA made the announcement after the doors had closed that we'd be landing in San Jose, a number of passengers were hearing it for the first time and very upset. Even the FAs in first said they didn't learn of the diversion until they boarded.

There was no indication upon arrival on how to get to SFO either.

AA could have done much better communicating this both through electronic means, at the gate, and in advance of departure.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.