Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 31, 2016, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JY1024
AA/US Domestic Dining (including Canada, Mexico, & the Caribbean)

Note: this thread is about meals served on AA-US. There is another thread for the contingent that wishes to debate and discuss linens as a primary subject, including related presentation issues: Linens / presentation debate for meal service on AA, US / both.

PLEASE: DO NOT POST OVERSIZED IMAGES; PLEASE DO NOT QUOTE AND REPEAT IMAGES IN YOUR QUOTED POST. /Moderators

Welcome to the 2017 Domestic Dining thread and the resulting discussion/trip reports/photos/shared experiences. Here, in this wiki post, I'll strive to explain what you should expect on AA flights in First and Business, meals-wise. Keep in mind that there are many domestic flights, so there are quite a few parameters to keep track of.

Basically, in its best condensed form, you should expect to receive a meal between 4:59am - 8pm on flights longer than 900 miles, which equals about two hours in the air. From that point, there are exceptions, and specific timing parameters.

What to Expect - Mainline:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 699 miles: Light snacks such as a fig bar, cookies, and/or pretzels
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
  • 900-1298 miles: A meal (fruit/breakfast entree; salad/entree) followed by a cookie; no meals between 1:30-4pm
  • 1298-2199 miles: A full meal including an appetizer, with cake for lunch desserts and premade ice-cream for dinner desserts
  • 2200 miles and above: Same as 1298-2199 miles, but consists of made-to-order sundaes or a cheese plate for both lunch and dinner desserts

What to Expect - Regional:
Keep in mind that this list is not entirely inclusive, and there may be certain exceptions and/or abnormalities.

• Up to 175 miles: A light snack mix along with beverage service
  • 176-899 miles: Sweet and savory, organic/healthy snack choices (snack basket)
  • 900-2199 miles: Warm mixed nuts, two meal options, and dessert. (For flights over 2200 miles, you will receive the same selection of snacks from 176-899 miles as a pre-arrival snack. All regional meal flights leaving after 8:00pm will also receive sweet and savory snacks as the only option. Editor's note: A regional jet for 2000+ miles? Hope that never happens!)

All of the meal flights that fall under the above timing parameters will receive two choices; normally, one meat and one vegetarian.

Longer westbound flights leaving from the east coast (transcontinental; non-premium) are not officially exceptions, but some flights after 8pm receive a full dinner service (such as the 8:05pm MIA-SAN flight, or the 8:30pm PHL-LAS flight). Additionally, non-premium transcontinental red-eye flights will receive snack basket service upon departure, then a continental breakfast box prior to arrival.

Official Exceptions:
The following flights all fall under 900 miles, but will receive a full meal service, with the exception of flights leaving between 1:31-4pm. Despite some of the listed flights being over 900 miles, they are remaining listed here, based on the AA website for documentation purposes.

• Chicago (ORD) - AUS/BDL/BOS/DCA/EWR/JFK/LGA/MSY/RDU
  • Dallas (DFW) - BJX/ORD/MEX/QRO/SLP
  • Fort Lauderdale (FLL) - PAP
  • Los Angeles (LAX) - DEN
  • Miami (MIA) - DCA/IAD/PAP
  • New York (LGA) - ATL
  • Phoenix (PHX) - MZT

Additional Information:
  • JFK-LAX/SFO; MIA-LAX are considered premium transcontinental flights, and as such, receives a more refined service with three meal choices, per-course service, printed menus, and tray/tablecloth linens in both F/J. Those flights now are the only domestic flights in the system to offer special meals as another option (which can be reserved by either preordering online, or calling). Red-eye flights will receive a full "supper/snack" meal service, which is basically a condensed dinner service.

• Hawaiian meal service is very similar to what you'd expect on 2200+ mile flights, but there also will be Hawaiian rolls served, along with a pre-arrival continental breakfast/snack (dependent on the length of the route). Tropical warmed nuts are also currently served.

• All flights over 700 miles, regardless of a meal being served or not, will receive warm mixed nuts and a cookie.

Disclaimer: The editor of this Wiki does not guarantee the information presented above will always be accurate or properly followed by AA, given catering mishaps, irregular operations, rogue crews, or mismanagement. For the best up-to-date information, it would be prudent to check AA's website constantly for any updates, or call AA. The editors of this Wiki will keep this Wiki updated as often as possible.
Print Wikipost

2017 Combined AA Domestic Meal / Meals - menu / photos / etc. (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2017, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
The DFW-Hawaii routes now a complimentary meal in economy (I don't think all parts of AA.com have been updated accordingly). Don't expect much though, perhaps just a wrap and bag a chips (certainly below the level of an AA international Y meal, and that's not saying much).

-FlyerBeek
Anything is better than nothing when you're talking an over 8 hour flight. It also saves us time trying to buy something in the airport to take on the plane since we only have a 55 minute layover.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:06 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by bse118
And there we have it: people can whine about service quality to the ends of the Earth, but price is king in the U.S. market.
Well, some of us are burning through SWUs that are expiring and trying to be the least profitable passenger in the cabin. Returning the favor for the ambivalent service, nasty grub, and deplorable aircraft. Sorry, but I'm not paying top dollar for Discount Doug's operation any time soon.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 8:27 am

Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
Well, some of us are burning through SWUs that are expiring and trying to be the least profitable passenger in the cabin. Returning the favor for the ambivalent service, nasty grub, and deplorable aircraft. Sorry, but I'm not paying top dollar for Discount Doug's operation any time soon.
How often did you pay for it before "Discount Doug?"
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by surftb15
two pieces of poop on a plate
01/01/2017
SAN to ORD
AA1296

This was the stuffed pepper. It looked awful and smelled even worse. Didn't even eat a bite. Seriously though... the smell was similar to what the pepper looked!

I saw that choice. Glad we went with the chicken, but at least it was 2 pieces of poop
Old Jan 18, 2017, 2:56 pm

Originally Posted by AANYC1981
JFK-LAX
A321T
Dinner

Beef carpaccio starter was good. Not a fan of the Fuji Apple dressing for the salad though.

My main was a spaghetti squash dish and had very little flavor. I would not recommend this dish. My brother had the chicken which he said was good.

Really nice service flow from the J FA's. Everytime one FA came through with a meal service element, the other FA was right behind with the beverage cart which made getting refills very easy for all.
Raw meat on a plane? I don't think so
Old Jan 18, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LANDJ999
Raw meat on a plane? I don't think so
Its not raw and for that matter its not really a carpaccio. The meat is cooked using suvee method IIRC.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:09 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by ryan182
Its not raw and for that matter its not really a carpaccio. The meat is cooked using suvee method IIRC.
Or sous vide.....
Old Jan 18, 2017, 7:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG DIAMOND AMB, et al
Originally Posted by blondietink
Anything is better than nothing when you're talking an over 8 hour flight. It also saves us time trying to buy something in the airport to take on the plane since we only have a 55 minute layover.
Absolutely agree. I just wanted to manage expectations here (compared to when AA last offered meals on this route, or what DL is currently offering in Y/W on their longer flights to HNL).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 19, 2017, 9:04 pm

Programs: AS 75k
Originally Posted by FlyerBeek
I believe the grilled lobster and cheese sandwich is a relatively new entree. Personally, I've always enjoyed the wagyu meatloaf - it's a dish that seems to standup well to the rigors of inflight catering and reheating.
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
I can't actually speak to the quality of the sandwich, but all I can think about it is.....Why??
Well I had to take one for the team and try the grilled lobster and cheese sandwich, as did most of the pax around me. Unfortunately, iadisgreat was correct. I somehow got it into my head that the lobster would be grilled, but sadly it was just the bread. In my defense, the last couple of times I've had a lobster sandwich (from a food truck), the lobster was grilled, drizzled with a little melted butter and simply delicious. AA's version was not very good with a few pieces of briny-tasting lobster in some sort of spread. Not sure what kind of cheese was included. The sandwich is served closed-face but I opened it up for the picture. Next time I'll have the meatloaf.
Attached Images  

Last edited by flymonthly; Jan 20, 2017 at 8:02 am
Old Jan 20, 2017, 3:35 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
Originally Posted by ryan182
Its not raw and for that matter its not really a carpaccio. .
Exactly so.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 5:25 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by flymonthly
... AA's version was not very good with
a few pieces of briny-tasting lobster in some sort of spread. ...
Seems to mirror the experience with the omnipresent 'lobster' mac'n'cheese dinner option, which was also an avoid at all costs dish...
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:32 am

Programs: AA EXP / HH Diamond
AA1728: MCO-PHL 12:20p
A321 (lUS)
"Snack"

We got Biscoff. That's it. No nuts, no (warmed-on-board) cookie. Flight mileage should be at the 861 range. Another passenger asked the flight attendant, and he said there is nothing. She asked if she could pay for something from the coach, he indicated there was nothing to buy. Eventually, our snack of Biscoff was augmented with... Y pretzel packs.

Not sure if this was a mis-cater or a FA that was hoping no-one would notice. He did an almost-full PDB (no coffee, no club soda to many who were requesting) but was proactive at refills in the air.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by Flyer78
Not sure if this was a mis-cater or a FA that was hoping no-one would notice.
It was neither. AA does not offer a meal on this flight, so you got the refreshments you were entitled to.
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by rjw242
It was neither. AA does not offer a meal on this flight, so you got the refreshments you were entitled to.
No. The standard offer for PHL-MCO is:
  • 700-899 miles: Warmed nuts, a snack plate (fruit/cheese, pita/hummus, or spinach dip/pita), and a cookie
Old Jan 21, 2017, 10:11 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by airb330
No. The standard offer for PHL-MCO is:
That's on AA's website?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.