Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Year End Mileage Runs on AA: How many did you fly?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Year End Mileage Runs on AA: How many did you fly?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2017, 5:41 am

Programs: AA EXP; Marriott BonVoy Titanium Elite, Marriott LT Plat.
I'm already of the EQD for EXP but need approx. 3K miles to keep the status for 2018.

Trying to move one of two work trips up a bit just to get it over with while I have the time. It's either going to be SFO-DFW-SFO or SFO-HNL-SFO via LAX or PHX.

After September, I'm expecting to be super busy in-house at work and most likely will not be flying at all. I don't want to cut it down to the wire and be forced to do a MR then!
Old Jul 20, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
Never too early to plan ahead. Due to unplanned biz travel the first part of the year, I cleared PLT in early June with EQM well over what I do by mid-year. However, I'm in summer doldrums which places EXP in jeopardy for next year. So, I may have book some easy October transcons when fares become a little less oppressive just to make sure. Already hit the EQD for EXP.
Old Jul 20, 2017, 10:40 am

Originally Posted by george 3
Already hit the EQD for EXP.
Am I the only one here that needs to do a mileage run for EQD? I will easily hit the EQM requirement but as all my business travel is discounted economy EQD was the hurdle. I'll be doing OSL-LHR-SFO-LHR on BA in Premium Economy to make it up (was a very cheap fare).
Old Jul 20, 2017, 4:03 pm

Programs: Former AA EXP, DL PM, BAEC Bronze, SPG GOLD, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
I have the issue of hitting the EQM as well and struggle for the EQD. Thinking of the AY ex YYZ to SE Asia fares.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 7:22 am

Originally Posted by cpdc1030
Am I the only one here that needs to do a mileage run for EQD? I will easily hit the EQM requirement but as all my business travel is discounted economy EQD was the hurdle. I'll be doing OSL-LHR-SFO-LHR on BA in Premium Economy to make it up (was a very cheap fare).
Can you do a shorter run for the same dollars? Seems like a lot of time up in the air.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 9:29 am

Id appreciate any hints on getting $1,000-$3,000 in EQDs as inexpensively as possible. Have about $5k EQDs and 65000 EQMs now.
Old Jul 21, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by george 3
Can you do a shorter run for the same dollars? Seems like a lot of time up in the air.
It is a lot of time up in the air, but I couldn't find anything else that had a similar return (3.1 EQD per $ spent). Flying partner airlines in discounted Premium Economy seems to be the cheapest way to top up EQDs. Just checked and it still looks to be available.

Any other suggestions for others who are short on EQDs?

Last edited by cpdc1030; Jul 21, 2017 at 10:09 am
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:24 am

It depends on how short of miles you are. If I believe that I will be between 4,000-5,000 short, I hop on a transcon from JFK to LAX/SFO. It takes the whole day, but, I take a 7 or 8am, arrive on the west coast to grab a burger and shake, and then jump back on early afternoon, arriving in the evening. I look for the cheapest weekly fare usually a month ahead of time. I've done it three times, and been upgraded twice. In each of the three times I've paid less than $350. There are better cost per mile deals, but this is the easiest for me, and my benefit is far in excess of the difference between a better return and $350 (or less).
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:53 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Not last year but this year I have two PHX-LHR-JNB-LHR-PHX MR's booked on BA aim PE.

As of right now I'll be ending 2017 with 100,600 EQMs but will be $324 short of EXP. I'll end up buying a flight somewhere as I travel every month but right now that's very where it sits!
Old Jul 24, 2017, 12:54 pm
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by oaken
Id appreciate any hints on getting $1,000-$3,000 in EQDs as inexpensively as possible. Have about $5k EQDs and 65000 EQMs now.
Buy a PE trip on BA ticket stock.

Almost ALL of my 180,000 EQMs last year was on BA metal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.