Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

SFO - LAX Mainline seems to be going away in 2017

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SFO - LAX Mainline seems to be going away in 2017

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:31 am

Programs: AA EP | UA 1K
Originally Posted by SST
Just set out to book my next month's LAX business trips from home in SFO. No longer. Looking at Jan 17/18, ALL flights between these cities are RJs on Compass-- not even the 4-5 mainline flights they've had this last year. I *DETEST* the extra 1/2 hour you have to budget to use the ridiculous "Eagle's Nest" remote terminal and its hokey bus service, each direction.

No thanks.

I travel this route at least 2x/month, and I will not voluntarily inconvenience myself like this when WN can get me to BUR, SNA *and* LAX on mainline equipment to terminals where getting to a rental car is simple. VX works well for SAN, LAX and SNA. DL and UA are even better.

Guess this is my last year of EXP status since 30k+ R/t's of flying to SoCal is now up for grabs, since they've once again pimped SFO out by failing to be competitive, once again.

Oh well, I'll probably save money using WN's companion pass, which they extended to me for a year.

AA *was* my loyal favorite, EXP 15 years---- now, I spend the remaining 1.8m miles, I guess. Thanks, guys, but it was your move and you blew it.
Have fun with DL when you discover they too fly CRJs. At least AA is using E75s. While the bus is inconvenient, take it to T6. AA seems to be redirecting a lot of eagles nest traffic to T6 so that bus wait/ride should not be as long.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 12:51 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1k, Marriott Gold, HH Gold, X Elite+
I've never seen a non-mainline plane at SFO since I've been flying here. I don't think I've ever missed an upgrade either. The SFO-LAX are AA's main feeder for international, given they've left the bay area wide open for their JV partners to fly (CX,BA,QF).

I mainly have to fly through PHX and LAX, so long as they don't reduce frequencies or overall seats, it's fine by me.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Col Ronson
Have fun with DL when you discover they too fly CRJs. At least AA is using E75s. While the bus is inconvenient, take it to T6. AA seems to be redirecting a lot of eagles nest traffic to T6 so that bus wait/ride should not be as long.
DL is all E-175's or 717's between SFO and LAX.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Have fun with DL when you discover they too fly CRJs.
Delta certainly has CRJ/CR2s in the Delta Connection fleet but operates hundreds fewer single-class aircraft than UA and AA.

LAX is entirely a premium cabin/Comfort+/coach station (no CR2/E145), as is SEA. All DL and DL Connection ops from SFO today are showing 2-class planes, too.

All DL 2-class planes have wifi and Comfort+ seating. They're adding AC and USB power to First and Comfort+ on the big RJs, too.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 9:23 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by LBJ
DL is all E-175's or 717's between SFO and LAX.
So is AA - E175s are the minimum on SFO-LAX

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
LAX is entirely a premium cabin/Comfort+/coach station (no CR2/E145), as is SEA. All DL and DL Connection ops from SFO today are showing 2-class planes, too.
I think AA just or is about to end single class ops out of LAX. The Expressjet CR2 arrangement at LAX has been terminated and is in the process (or it that completed) of being removed.

Those are partially being replaced by used CR7s from UA (along with some Messy CR9s).

Side note, LAX is going to suck for DL flyers who flies in/out of there frequently for the next several years.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:03 am

Programs: QF WP, AA EXP
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Side note, LAX is going to suck for DL flyers who flies in/out of there frequently for the next several years.
LAX sucks for almost everyone right now, for a multitude of reasons.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by golfingboy
Originally Posted by SNA_Flyer
LAX sucks for almost everyone right now, for a multitude of reasons.
DL's just going to get the worst of it for a while with the gradual move to T2 and T3 and the major construction going on as the move is occurring. Once all the moves are complete, hopefully it will be better for all airlines.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
is there an AC in the American Eagle remote terminal?
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by chris1979
is there an AC in the American Eagle remote terminal?
Yes.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:49 pm

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
thank you!

had no idea that there was one in the remote terminal!
Old Jan 6, 2017, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rjw242
Smart move on AA's part. Customers who freak out over such trivial issues aren't worth keeping around, in my experience.
Perhps we should leave it to impacted pax in SF/LA to decide what's trivial and what's not

Planing for anything departing from eagle's nest usually adds another 15-20 min to already unpleasant commute to, around and now within LAX... crowding around bus stops, unpredictable lines, low capacity AC at nest, higher likelihood of delays and increased distance from TBIT (where one can easily walk from T4 and wait out delays) all add up to rather non-trivial annoyance...

On a related note i just notices rjs on ua sched as well... flying WN may easily save half hour on outbounds considering traffic within lax circle and aa bus ride
Old Jan 6, 2017, 4:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
DL flies 717s and E175/70s on the LAX/SFO DL Shuttle. Not sure what you're complaining about. DL also gives a free wrap for F passengers.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 5:10 pm
SST

AFAIK doesn't DL also do regionals on this shuttle route?
The use of regional jets isn't the problem; the overcrowded Eagles Nest remote terminal, which has significant delays for aircraft getting in/out, and the unreliable, lackadaisical bus delays getting from T4 or T6 to this little slum are the problems--- a monumental waste of time compared to standard equipment at LAX T1, and hitting the street towards a rental car in three minutes on WN. Even better performance on returning to LAX, due to the recent traffic mess getting to T4 or T6.

One needs to budget a conservative half hour extra each way to be safe, either for a connection or for originating/arriving at LAX thru Eagles Nest. Given my frequent use, that's crazy.

And the LAX taxi pattern is the least favorable for EAGLE's NEST, since virtually all SFO traffic arrives/departs from runway 24, on the extreme other side of the airfield, and needs to negotiate the whole place to get there.

Last edited by SST; Jan 6, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Old Jan 6, 2017, 6:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by chris1979
thank you!

had no idea that there was one in the remote terminal!
I can't really complain I suppose, but it's pretty small and pretty bad. I'd rather wait in the Alaska lounge and then just take the short walk to the bus over.
Old Jan 6, 2017, 7:02 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Perhaps it is temporary (well the entire eagle terminal is technically temporary).

With DL moving and AA taking the T5 gates perhaps AA felt that scheduling less mainline into LAX was prudent?

The E175 is a nice plane. Despite the Eagles Nest being undesirable it is nicer than gate 35A at DCA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.