Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA/AS to reduce codesharing as part of AS/VX merger deal

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM

Not clear on the details but will almost certainly have an impact on some AA fliers who use AS for portions of their travel.

However, while Alaska Air said it agreed to a "limited" change, Justice described a broader concession. The agency said its "proposed settlement requires Alaska to significantly reduce the scope of the codeshare agreement" with American.
Above from:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...-doj/95049528/

And full text of Justice release:
http://www.usatoday.com/story/travel...rger/95052838/

Justice Department Requires Alaska Airlines to Significantly Scale Back Codeshare Agreement with American Airlines in Order to Proceed with Virgin America Acquisition
Old Dec 6, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott
I could see this impacting routes where AA and VX both fly (ie DFW-SFO, DFW-LAX, etc), and maybe routes flown by AA and AS to a lessor extent.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:11 pm
Original Poster

Alaska in an SEC filing indicates loss of 45 market codeshares (this would be from an AS angle I presume) based on the following categories:

AA/AS (the combined AS/VX) can not codeshare on overlap markets they both serve - 33 markets
AA can not codeshare on flights operated by AS/VX from AA hubs - 9 markets
AS can not codeshare on flights operated by AA from LAX to AA's hubs - 3 markets

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....Umc3Vic2lkPTU3

So really not a big hit to AA FFers at all, they are not losing any unique service/routes. I do wonder what the finanical impact to AA is though.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ty97
Alaska in an SEC filing indicates loss of 45 market codeshares (this would be from an AS angle I presume) based on the following categories:

AA/AS (the combined AS/VX) can not codeshare on overlap markets they both serve - 33 markets
AA can not codeshare on flights operated by AS/VX from AA hubs - 9 markets
AS can not codeshare on flights operated by AA from LAX to AA's hubs - 3 markets

http://phx.corporate-ir.net/phoenix....Umc3Vic2lkPTU3

So really not a big hit to AA FFers at all, they are not losing any unique service/routes. I do wonder what the finanical impact to AA is though.
So here's a question. We know they have to drop some codeshares, but is there anything preventing them from adding codeshares on VX routes that aren't overlap routes with AA?

Routes like DEN-SFO, DCA-SFO?
Old Dec 7, 2016, 11:55 am

AS, VX and AA codeshare routes impacted by DOJ ruling

here is a breakdown

https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/12/...ted-by-merger/
Old Dec 7, 2016, 12:02 pm

That link got mangled. Here's the right one:

https://www.travelcodex.com/2016/12/...ted-by-merger/
Old Dec 8, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hertz PC, IC Plat, Hilton Gold, Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by bse118
Routes like DEN-SFO, DCA-SFO?

As a DEN based EXP this would be huge for me. I did weekly trips to SFO for a long time and had to shift my flights to Southwest or United to keep my sanity of the LAX regional jet connection. Additionally to be able to connect to the Oneworld offerings direct to SFO would be a boon for me (not sure if you would be able to make AA flight numbers all the way but the possibility of SFO direct on a code share is what had me routing for this merger).
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:54 pm

Originally Posted by Elchupanebre4
(not sure if you would be able to make AA flight numbers all the way but the possibility of SFO direct on a code share is what had me routing for this merger).
I think you mean rooting, but nice pun
Old Dec 9, 2016, 7:52 am

Programs: AA, SQ
I wonder if SFO-BOS on Virgin can now be booked under AA codeshare! Though this rule seems to forbid it: "AA cannot sell AS flights from AA hubs and vice versa"
Old Dec 9, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: DL, UA, AA, B6, BA (airline status-free leisure traveler), Hilton Diamond
I hope that this does not affect us that would like to use AA miles on AS to get from the mainland to Hawaii.
Old Dec 9, 2016, 9:51 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by loomis
I hope that this does not affect us that would like to use AA miles on AS to get from the mainland to Hawaii.
Codeshares only impact the selling of flights between carriers. So AS and AA flights that are codeshares should show up on each system.

I haven't seen anything yet that says AA and AS will be severing any ties for earning or redeeming miles.
Old Dec 16, 2016, 3:43 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Elite, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat, WN A-List Preferred
I want to book a direct Alaska flight from AUS-SEA, but on American. I can't seem to find any codeshares on this route...did they get cut or did they never codeshare for this route?
Old Dec 16, 2016, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by maracle
I want to book a direct Alaska flight from AUS-SEA, but on American. I can't seem to find any codeshares on this route...did they get cut or did they never codeshare for this route?
I am assuming the codeshare was never on this route because this doesn't seem to fall into any of the categories of codeshares AS was forced to end as part of the merger agreement.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:44 pm

Programs: Wyndham Diamond
AA does not codeshare with AS anymore --> told by a AA rep

Hello all, I want to get a bit more facts before I figure out what options I have.

Late last year, I booked an AA redeye nonstop flight from LAX-BWI for April 2017. The flight is actually operated by AS, but codeshared with AA. (AS 740, AA 7143)

I just got notification that there's a schedule change. When I called into AA, their rep told me that AA no longer codeshares with AS. My alternative is to take another AA flight that will transfer at PHL, with a wait time of 2+ hours. This flight will not work for me. Furthermore, AA does not fly nonstop from LAX-BWI on their own metal.

Is this true that AA no longer codeshares with AS? If so, what are my options?

I don't know if it matters, but this ticket was purchased with Citi Thank You points on their Thank You portal. The points are earned by my Citi Prestige credit card.
Old Jan 20, 2017, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

As part of the AS/VX merger approval with DOJ, AS/AA had to drop certain codeshares that they have with each other, but have not stopped codesharing altogether.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...rger-deal.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.