Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Nice Write up of 80 year AA FA Bette Nash

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nice Write up of 80 year AA FA Bette Nash

Search this Thread

Old Dec 3, 2016, 8:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP SPG PLT
Originally Posted by inpd
"I love my people. I know my customers. I know what they want. The airline thinks names are important, but I think people's needs are very important. Everybody wants a little love,"

I love this FA!

Thank you for sharing a story.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Dec 3, 2016, 9:35 pm
JBD

Originally Posted by inpd
Thanks for posting this!

I have some bookmarks on this wonderful person if anyone's interested:

From One Mile at a Time, May 2016 (and linked on it is a previous post and on that is linked a Boston Globe article from 2014):
The World’s Most Senior Flight Attendant Is Still Going Strong!

And on Loyalty Lobby, May 2016, which links to another CNN video
Happy Birthday: The Worlds Oldest Flight Attendant is 80 Years Of Age And Works For American Airlines

And on the same general topic of long serving FAs, I also have this bookmark, a Dallas News article from 2013 about an AA FA named Carole DiSalvo, who retired after 54 years:
Flight attendant grounds herself after 54 years with American Airlines
Old Dec 4, 2016, 2:44 am

I think it's really sweet that flight attendants are allowed to fly as long as they want. Not all airlines allow that, I reckon.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 6:41 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, United Silver, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by CPRich
I believe handling the exit door is the qualify part. If she's proven to the airline/FAA that she is capable, why do you wonder?
I answered that in the very post you quoted, but you left out that part:

Originally Posted by ehallison
(of course I wonder that at half the pax sitting in the exit row...myself included. Just how heavy are they?)
An aircraft door seems like it *should* be quite heavy. That's why I wonder. I've always wondered how the average middle-age passenger could handle it, much less a very petite 78yo.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 10:59 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by Silverelf
I think it's really sweet that flight attendants are allowed to fly as long as they want. Not all airlines allow that, I reckon.
In the United States of America, it's Federal law. In countries that legally allow discrimination, they may be, and often are, severed for reasons unrelated to their job, such as age, marital status, physical appearance including weight, etc.

Originally Posted by ehallison
In October, we flew with a cheerful 78 yo FA on a transcon. We overheard her saying she was going to work another year or two, as long as she could continue to qualify. I'm glad she likes her job and is good at it, but I do wonder at her ability to handle an exit door.

(of course I wonder that at half the pax sitting in the exit row...myself included. Just how heavy are they?)
Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 (Title VII), which prohibits employment discrimination based on race, color, religion, sex, or national origin, ended airline rules that allowed them to sever personnel for gender, pregnancy or marital status, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act of 1967 (ADEA) protects employees 40 years of age or older from being severed merely because of age. (Though commercial airline pilots flying passenger services are mandatorily retired at age 65 - an increase from the recent 60 year deadline, and they can still fly beyond that if flying cargo, etc.)

U.S. law requires qualified FAs be allowed to continue in their positions as long as they can fulfill the "BFOQ" - bona fide occupational qualifications for their specific job. Flight attendants are tested annually on issues such as opening emergency exits, evacuating aircraft within the time limit, etc. by FAR; they are required to demonstrate they can fulfill their job duties. If they can not do so, they are prohibited from serving as air crew by Federal law.
Old Dec 4, 2016, 7:01 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime GS, AA EXP 1 MM, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat, Hyatt Gold, Hertz 5Star PC
Originally Posted by twa777
Nice! I few DFW-AUS a few weeks ago with an FA who I think mentioned she was the third oldest at AA. She seemed like she was all-Texas, with big hair and full of sass. She loved to fly and was a hoot to fly with.

Yes, kudos to AA for continuing to support FAs like this based on attitude and service ahead of age.
Most likely a Dallas gal! 4'11" with hair wet, 6'2" with hairdo. And I'm allowed to say that. I'm a fellow Texas old gal.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS MVP
There's a little blurb about Bette Nash in this month's American Way, in the section about "50 Years of American Way."

Of course, they spelled her name Betty, twice.

"I don't get no respect..."
Old Dec 6, 2016, 11:26 am

We flew with her and her senior crew on the shuttle this weekend. The FA on her way to work that sat next to us was the junior FA on the plane. Only 47 years on the job.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 5:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Nice story on Betty Nash on the CBS Evening News tonight. 60 years in the air - from Eastern to Trump Shuttle to US Air to American! 82 and no plans to retire. Congratulations!

Last edited by ILuvParis; Nov 30, 2017 at 5:28 pm
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
This should put to rest the idea that after a certain number of years FAs become bitter and angry. What a wonderful lady. Hopefully she has been a positive mentor to younger FAs.
generally it would be the FA’s who have been there a long time but aren’t able to retire yet that may lose interest in their jobs and just want to count down the days to retirement.

If a FA is well past retirement eligible age and chooses to continue to work, it’s likely that they just really enjoy their job and don’t want to walk away. I think one elderly FA at UA uses his seniority and job to choose a route that essentially pays him to commute between two places he likes to go.

I hope that when I’m past retirement age that I can be at a job that I just love to do and want to keep going because of the joy it would bring me.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 7:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA: 2 MM
Originally Posted by matrixwalker2012
generally it would be the FA’s who have been there a long time but aren’t able to retire yet that may lose interest in their jobs and just want to count down the days to retirement.

If a FA is well past retirement eligible age and chooses to continue to work, it’s likely that they just really enjoy their job and don’t want to walk away. I think one elderly FA at UA uses his seniority and job to choose a route that essentially pays him to commute between two places he likes to go.

I hope that when I’m past retirement age that I can be at a job that I just love to do and want to keep going because of the joy it would bring me.
I've never had the pleasure of meeting Ms. Nash. It seems from what I saw this evening that she loves her passengers and the feeling seems to be mutual.
chrisny2 likes this.
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:20 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
I think I last crossed paths with her last year or earlier this year. A South American TV crew was following her around on-board, as they were also doing a piece on her. When the TV crew started to get in her way, she would politely nudge them back to their seats and let them know that she needed to take care of her passengers in F first before she could chat with them. A wonderful lady indeed and still going strong!

Earlier this year, my mother was flying DCA-BOS and told me she had a wonderfully attentive and nice FA in F. I sent along a Bette Nash article to my mom, and she said "Yup - that's her!"
Old Nov 30, 2017, 10:22 pm

I was looking on AA's site a few days ago and saw this rather nice article about her. She celebrated 60 years with AA (and its predecessors) on November 3rd.

http://news.aa.com/press-releases/pr...e/default.aspx
Old Nov 30, 2017, 11:11 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage EXPLAT, Hilton Diamond, SPG/Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Citi Exec MC, Amex Plat
Around the time of the UACO merger, I flew with a super senior crew of FA’s that seemed to average 70 years of age and I asked them how the merger was going for them and they simply said that with their seniority, they could fly wherever they wanted to and since they were way past retirement age, if it got bad enough, they would simply retire and go do other stuff. The merger mess didn’t seem to phase them one but.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.