FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Mixed cabin / class award issues, questions, discussion (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1806044-mixed-cabin-class-award-issues-questions-discussion.html)

danielonn Jan 9, 2017 5:45 pm

Mixed Cabin Award

When you book a flight with First Class and Economy because the plane only has economy as on some AA Eagle Jets(this is beyond my control) can you ask the Flight Attendant for a complimentary Buy On Board Item and Alcoholic Beverages if you show that your two flights were in F and the last flight is in Y?

Would AA automatically issue a Voucher to be used on the flights? If not can I ask for a proration of the Economy portion? I would think its fair to ask for a proration if one cannot get the First Class services.

Thanks

AAExecPlatFlier Jan 9, 2017 5:58 pm

AA is not going to pro rate the mileage required. And unless u have the appropriate status, no comp BOB or alcoholic beverage. But, you never know, you might get a sympathetic FA!

Originally Posted by danielonn (Post 27733946)
When you book a flight with First Class and Economy because the plane only has economy as on some AA Eagle Jets(this is beyond my control) can you ask the Flight Attendant for a complimentary Buy On Board Item and Alcoholic Beverages if you show that your two flights were in F and the last flight is in Y?

Would AA automatically issue a Voucher to be used on the flights? If not can I ask for a proration of the Economy portion? I would think its fair to ask for a proration if one cannot get the First Class services.

Thanks

BThumme Jan 9, 2017 6:21 pm

Furthermore, no access to E+ seats (the exit row on the e145s are quite nice, crj200...not so much).

cvg-aa Jan 9, 2017 6:45 pm

I complained to EXP agent. As always they say they will kick the complaint upstairs, but suggests "contact AA" complaint form. Sure. Don't forget to file in the circular file drawer!

mera Jan 11, 2017 1:30 am

If I book a mixed cabin flight at the Business/First MilesAAver level (SLC to DFW in 1st, DFW to MIA in coach, MIA to LHR in business) and then later find out that 1st class opens up for DFW to MIA, do I have any options to get that? Or is it a done deal once I actually book it, with no options, even if first opens up? Do I still get to use the lounge and get priority boarding for the coach flight?

JJeffrey Jan 11, 2017 7:50 am

Originally Posted by mera (Post 27741826)
If I book a mixed cabin flight at the Business/First MilesAAver level (SLC to DFW in 1st, DFW to MIA in coach, MIA to LHR in business) and then later find out that 1st class opens up for DFW to MIA, do I have any options to get that? Or is it a done deal once I actually book it, with no options, even if first opens up? Do I still get to use the lounge and get priority boarding for the coach flight?

If sAAver F opens up on your DFW-MIA flight, you can of course call AA and they will switch you. You will still get all the benefits along the way (priority check-in, baggage, lounge access, etc.), however without status, you probably won't get priority boarding any segments in coach.

mera Jan 11, 2017 2:23 pm

Thanks for the info JJeffrey!

mera Jan 17, 2017 4:27 pm

This is sort of a follow-up question to my previous one in this thread. I have a sAAver award flight on hold where the first leg is in economy (SLC to DFW) and then the next is in business (DFW to LHR).
There is a flight earlier in the day from SLC to DFW that is business class also at the sAAver award level. However, there is no more availability in business from DFW to LHR, so I don't want to cancel my hold and hope they realign to snag before someone else does.
Can I call American for help booking the earlier flight in business and combining it with my hold? Will I be charged a phone fee for this? Is there a better way to handle this?

Dave Noble Jan 17, 2017 4:30 pm

If you telephone AA, you should be able to get the economy flight changed without impacting the business class flight ( assuming no married sector issues ) ; you may have to then book over the telephone, but that seems to be a small thing (imo) to get the whole journey in business class

mera Jan 17, 2017 10:47 pm

Thanks, Dave! I got it all worked out with the agent and got it booked.

backprop Jan 26, 2017 10:30 am

Originally Posted by cvg-aa (Post 27734194)
I complained to EXP agent. As always they say they will kick the complaint upstairs, but suggests "contact AA" complaint form. Sure. Don't forget to file in the circular file drawer!

Don't worry; I filed one and already got a resolution from AA:

Dear [backprop]:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines.

We very much appreciate the time you took to send us your suggestion about our award searches for our valued AAdvantage passengers. Your idea certainly has merit and it clearly reflects the thought that went into it.

It is always helpful for us to consider our service from our customers' perspective. We try to be responsive to our customers and carefully analyze trend information based upon their reactions. In this way we can identify those service elements that are most appealing as well as improve those that produce a negative response.

Our aim is to suit the needs and wishes of the majority of our customers. As we determine the appropriate action in this regard, your preferences will be considered. Thank you for giving us the benefit of your observations.

[backprop], we are eager to demonstrate the on-time flights and high quality service you expect and we want to deliver. We look forward to welcoming you aboard.

So it's getting fixed as we speak.

You're welcome.

bobert24 Jan 30, 2017 9:32 am

Originally Posted by bdemaria (Post 24653550)
It sounds like when booking, you took a voluntary downgrade for YYZ-LAX? If so, then make sure you are designated as such on the PALL List specifically, you want to be noted as "voluntary downgrade desires to travel in ticketed cabin"

I came here to ask the exact same question as the OP (TATL flight in J, took a voluntary downgrade on the 2-hour domestic leg, but lots of F seats available). It looks like this answer is dead on. One question - am I correct in understanding that I can/should call AA in advance of the trip to make sure I'm in DSR status, not wait and ask for that at the gate?

ijgordon Jan 30, 2017 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by bobert24 (Post 27839054)
I came here to ask the exact same question as the OP (TATL flight in J, took a voluntary downgrade on the 2-hour domestic leg, but lots of F seats available). It looks like this answer is dead on. One question - am I correct in understanding that I can/should call AA in advance of the trip to make sure I'm in DSR status, not wait and ask for that at the gate?

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong, but (1) I don't think a reservations agent can make changes to the airport PALL/standby list, and (2) the list gets cleared at the gate (often not until T-30m at the earliest), so it shouldn't really matter whether you're properly annotated on the list until you get to the airport.

cheaptom Jan 30, 2017 5:53 pm

priority of upgrade requests?

I recently tried to use SAaver awards for a J flight from LAX-LHR. There were no nonstops in SAaver, so the best I could do was LAX-ORD-LHR. I can live with that, but the LAX-ORD leg is in coach, even though it's part of a J fare.

So I booked it and called. They said I'm entitled to a J seat upgrade on the LAX-ORD leg because I already spent the J miles, but only if it becomes available.

Assuming the J seats are not sold out, I know they'd issue upgrades. I have no status with AA, so do elite status members get priority for those upgrades over someone like me?

DoctorORD Jan 30, 2017 6:28 pm

You would probably need to be listed as DSR on the PALL list within 24 hours of the flight if your upgrade doesn't go through sooner. Review this post:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/20689314-post250.html

Would likely try to look for the upgrade inventory first (through expert flyer), as suggested above, then call to get your seat upgraded.