Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 21, 2013, 7:01 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: VFR
Airport Upgrade and Standby Order, Priority “PALL” List
Questions, Upgrade Anomalies, Issues, etc.
NOTE: Complimentary upgrades are now ordered based on (1) Status, (2) 12 month rolling Loyalty Points, (3) Time and date of upgrade request.

NOTE: As of 1 Jan 2017, your travel companion will "borrow" your PALL listing. Link.

Main PALL list codes. Passengers are ordered by code, then elite status, then other factors. Additional codes may be entered to designate other information, such as companions traveling together.
  • OS# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • RF = Confirmed First Class passenger awaiting seat assignment.
  • DSR# = Standby First Class passenger, confirmed in Economy. Usually used for involuntary downgrades of paid First passengers.
  • VIP# = Passenger awaiting a SWU upgrade.
  • MLG# = Passenger awaiting a mileage and copay upgrade. This may be the same priority as VIP, i.e. VIP1 = MLG1, VIP2 = MLG2, etc.
  • UPG# = Confirmed Economy passenger awaiting a complimentary, or elite sticker upgrade. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by 12 month rolling loyalty points followed by time and date of upgrade request.
  • RI# = Revenue involuntary standby passenger (bumped from another flight due to oversold condition or travel disruptions). Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV# = Revenue voluntary standby passenger. Within a status group, passengers are ordered by check-in time.
  • RV = Non-status revenue passengers on voluntary standby, and certain staff travel.
  • D% = Non-revenue standby passenger (AA employees, family, and friends), where % is an additional number code pertaining to the type of pass and not related to elite status. See the Staff Travel / Buddy Pass Thread.
  • VOL = Volunteer for bump to a later flight. Passengers are ordered by time of volunteering (first come-first served).
  • DG = Passenger with involuntary (or voluntary) downgrade in class-of-service.
  • RL = "Flat Tire Rule" passenger missing a flight through no fault of their own or AA (L=Late, in this case). Note that in some circumstances, AA may offer a confirmed seat on a later flight instead.
  • -T = Through passenger - Addition of this suffix gives priority over other passengers in the same status group, overriding normal time-based ranking. This suffix is supposed to be used for passengers connecting from another flight.
Status indicator numbers UPG/VIP (#) = 1 = Concierge Key; 2 = Executive Platinum; 3 = Platinum Pro; 4 = Platinum, 5 = Gold; no number = no status (e.g. UPG2/VIP2 for EP).

C/o sensei:

The following UPG priority levels are now in effect:
  • UPG1/VIP1 Concierge Key
  • UPG2/VIP2 Executive Platinum
  • UPG3/VIP3 Platinum Pro
  • UPG4/VIP4 Platinum
  • UPG5/VIP5 Gold
  • UPG/VIP No status
UPGC is used for operational upgrades

Revenue Standbys are cleared in the following order:
  • RIT (involuntary, transit)
  • RI (involuntary)
  • RV (voluntary)
  • RL (late)
*Numbers corresponding to elite status will determine the order of the passengers within each category.

All revenue standbys are cleared before any non-revenue standbys

Older posts have been archived to this thread.
Print Wikipost

Airport Upgrade and Standby Priority List (“PALL”) Order (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
I don't believe so. Should be equal.
does that mean that Is be better switching my wife (no status) from SWU to 500 miles segment upgrades for a domestic flight. It would be we get to the airport (for a flight I'm also on), if neither of us have cleared already?

Has anyone done that? The one time I pulled a SWU, the 500 segment request didn't go back to the original date stamp (based on my position in the list).

Last edited by beachfan; Apr 26, 2017 at 2:59 pm
Old Apr 26, 2017, 8:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by beachfan
does that mean that Is be better switching my wife (no status) from SWU to miles/copay for a domestic flight that I am on when we get to the airport if neither of us have cleared already?
What would be the logic for switching from SWU to miles + co-pay?
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by JonNYC
What would be the logic for switching from SWU to miles + co-pay?
My bad, I meant 500 mile segments.

Thanks, I'll correct my post.
Old Apr 27, 2017, 8:06 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Situation ALMOST happened yesterday but thankfully didn't-

I was # 4 on the UG list - there are two seats available. Pass #1 was upgraded, then I heard a conversation with pass #2 and #3 - they were traveling together, and didn't want to split up, so I got the UG.

As we were waiting to board, they kept paging pass #1 , and I overheard the CK rep saying he might not make it.

My question is, if pass #1 would have been a no show, would the GA have taken away my upgrade and given it to pass's # 2 & #3 ?
Old Apr 27, 2017, 9:15 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
Situation ALMOST happened yesterday but thankfully didn't-

I was # 4 on the UG list - there are two seats available. Pass #1 was upgraded, then I heard a conversation with pass #2 and #3 - they were traveling together, and didn't want to split up, so I got the UG.

As we were waiting to board, they kept paging pass #1 , and I overheard the CK rep saying he might not make it.

My question is, if pass #1 would have been a no show, would the GA have taken away my upgrade and given it to pass's # 2 & #3 ?
I'd say it depends at what time they make the call and where everyone is at that point. That said, seems to me #'s 2 & 3 should be upgraded ahead of 4. If they're seeing #1 may not make a cxn or something, I think they should wait to upgrade #4 .

The other day I was hoping a couple would choose not to split so I could slide up there but no dice for me!
Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, SPG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, AAPlatinum
Can someone help me understand how someone farther down on the standby (ordered) list would clear for a seat assignment before those 'ahead' of them in the displayed standby list? I read the wiki and assume all these codes are behind the scenes and drive what we would see displayed at the gate - the numbered standby pax list.

I tweeted AA who responded "The list is not necessarily in order as there are different types of standby" but then what is the purpose of displaying the list order?

The most recent occasion this occurred was Thurs at ORD - Gate agents cleared #6 before anyone else (I was #1 ), and they began boarding the flight.

Old Apr 28, 2017, 5:48 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by maewest
Can someone help me understand how someone farther down on the standby (ordered) list would clear for a seat assignment before those 'ahead' of them in the displayed standby list? I read the wiki and assume all these codes are behind the scenes and drive what we would see displayed at the gate - the numbered standby pax list.

I tweeted AA who responded "The list is not necessarily in order as there are different types of standby" but then what is the purpose of displaying the list order?

The most recent occasion this occurred was Thurs at ORD - Gate agents cleared #6 before anyone else (I was #1 ), and they began boarding the flight.

1-5 standby for Y, 6 standby for J
Old Apr 28, 2017, 6:59 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by hiima
1-5 standby for Y, 6 standby for J
I haven't heard that before. I thought that AAgents are supposed to do the list in order (based on prior communications I have had with AA when I've seen situations like that), with few exceptions.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 7:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
I haven't heard that before. I thought that AAgents are supposed to do the list in order (based on prior communications I have had with AA when I've seen situations like that), with few exceptions.
Well a passenger standing by for a Y seat being number 1 isn't gonna get a J seat.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 10:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Concur with this, whenever I'm on a paid biz/first fare and standby to go on an earlier flight, if F opens up and Y is still full the board will look as above. In some cases I won't even be on the upgrade list just standby.
Old Apr 28, 2017, 11:35 pm

Programs: DL GM, AA PLAT, Hilton Gold, AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Standbys are listed in order of priority, not fare class, so an RI2 in Y will be listed above an RI5 on a J fare. But the RI5 will clear before anyone else if a J seat is open. Hope that makes sense.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:18 am

It can happen for various reasons explained in this thread. In your case the standby was willing to occupy a jump seat.

Originally Posted by maewest

Old Apr 29, 2017, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by DCAstudent
It can happen for various reasons explained in this thread. In your case the standby was willing to occupy a jump seat.
Willing? You mean certified?
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:08 am

Originally Posted by hiima
Willing? You mean certified?
Certified is a given, but not all jumpseat-qualified standby passengers are willing to actually take a jump seat. In this case, the passenger was indeed willing.
Old Apr 29, 2017, 9:46 am

So if I have this correct, if my no-status wife doesn't clear her SWU before it goes to airport control, then she will be pretty much last on the PALL list (with the possible exception of other non-status folks with SWU), even if I"m on the flight.

The list on this flight is often 20 folks long.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.