Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Computer Systems Out Of Sync? Award On Hold, Different Taxes

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Recently I went through issues with AA staff about the AAdvantage system that customers see availability of Award Seats are not seen by AA booking personnel for seats between Sydney and the U.S at about 328-330 days out. I was able to find 2 business seats that I put on hold while I talked with my wife about her interest in these seats, but when I went back to purchase these seats well within the 5 days, the reservation tax price that the AA agent saw was more than what was in my AAdvantage website and my hold portfolio. When I discussed this with the AA agent, she told me this was the way it was, and I must pay the increased tax as she could not see what I was holding. I had no other choice but to go ahead and pay the additional tax, and then had the agent send me over to Web Support at my request. Because I had purchased the seats at the agent's tax rate, the Web Support person could not see what I was holding, and told me that if I wanted these seats I must pay the tax that the agent quoted. No matter how hard I tried, the Web Support person would not (could not) answer why what I had on hold was different from what the agent was seeing.
I took a picture of what I was seeing, but decided not to follow the recommendation of another poster on FT who recommended that US regulatory agencies be notified if AA does not honor what passengers had on hold as the increase in price was not very much.
However, I was concerned about the consequences that might occur for others who find that AA agents cannot see what records passengers have saved, especially if what is of question are 2 business or first AAdvantage seats.
For those who have concerns why I called AA to have these seats booked, their web site would not allow me to book and directed me to call the AAgents. I asked the agent if the reason I could not book my "On Hold" seats were that the price I had was a mistake, she told me she had no way to know. AA web support could not be convinced to discuss this and to provide a fix for this as well.
This is the first time such an experience has happened to my wife and me though all those years of EXP and Multi-Million Miles status.
Friends: Be aware that the two AA computer systems are not in sync and agents cannot see what passengers are holding.
Old Nov 29, 2016, 5:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
I would report that is up the chain at AA. If you don't get a satisfactory resolution, that is when I would bring in the DOT with a complaint directly to them. Just leaving it "as is" means you are letting AA screw with you and future customers. The only way it will ever get rectified is through letting AA know (and possibly DOT).
Old Nov 29, 2016, 6:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

How much was the difference and was it definitely a tax issue and not a telephone booking fee (USD40 in US) ? If it was just a v small difference, it could be that the taxes have not changed, but exchange rates have moved. The AU taxes are calculated in AUD and the US taxes in USD, so differences in the USD equivalent can vary ( or AUD equivalent if issued in AU )
Old Nov 29, 2016, 8:03 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
I would also wager it had to do with changes in the currency exchange rate for foreign taxes, and the OP did already seem to state "increase in price was not very much". More often than not when I try to book a held award reservation online it reprices--sometimes the change is in my favor, other times AA's (though really not, since they're just the tax collector). I'll stay out of the debate on whether this feature is in violation of any gov't regs.
Attached Images  
Old Nov 29, 2016, 9:03 pm

Programs: AA EP
Originally Posted by Life_Platinum
Recently I went through issues with AA staff about the AAdvantage system that customers see availability of Award Seats are not seen by AA booking personnel for seats between Sydney and the U.S at about 328-330 days out. I was able to find 2 business seats that I put on hold while I talked with my wife about her interest in these seats, but when I went back to purchase these seats well within the 5 days, the reservation tax price that the AA agent saw was more than what was in my AAdvantage website and my hold portfolio. When I discussed this with the AA agent, she told me this was the way it was, and I must pay the increased tax as she could not see what I was holding. I had no other choice but to go ahead and pay the additional tax, and then had the agent send me over to Web Support at my request. Because I had purchased the seats at the agent's tax rate, the Web Support person could not see what I was holding, and told me that if I wanted these seats I must pay the tax that the agent quoted. No matter how hard I tried, the Web Support person would not (could not) answer why what I had on hold was different from what the agent was seeing.
I took a picture of what I was seeing, but decided not to follow the recommendation of another poster on FT who recommended that US regulatory agencies be notified if AA does not honor what passengers had on hold as the increase in price was not very much.
However, I was concerned about the consequences that might occur for others who find that AA agents cannot see what records passengers have saved, especially if what is of question are 2 business or first AAdvantage seats.
For those who have concerns why I called AA to have these seats booked, their web site would not allow me to book and directed me to call the AAgents. I asked the agent if the reason I could not book my "On Hold" seats were that the price I had was a mistake, she told me she had no way to know. AA web support could not be convinced to discuss this and to provide a fix for this as well.
This is the first time such an experience has happened to my wife and me though all those years of EXP and Multi-Million Miles status.
Friends: Be aware that the two AA computer systems are not in sync and agents cannot see what passengers are holding.
Yeah. It has been doing this for awhile. Same with HKG bookings. It will be cheaper tax wise to buy on the web vs through an agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.