Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

BOG-YYZ , 50k Anytime 2 award redemption good value? Jan 10

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:07 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Advantage, spg platnum, viporter, United Silver, Delta Med

Hi,
I need to book a one way back to YYZ from BOG around Jan 10th.
These flights are extremely expensive given the time of year.

A one stop via MIA costs around $1500 - This is the best option to get to YYZ at a decent time (around 5pm).

50k Miles seems like good value in my head... any thoughts?

No business saver available already checked
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by jchacko2
Hi,
I need to book a one way back to YYZ from BOG around Jan 10th.
These flights are extremely expensive given the time of year.

A one stop via MIA costs around $1500 - This is the best option to get to YYZ at a decent time (around 5pm).

50k Miles seems like good value in my head... any thoughts?

No business saver available already checked
DL is offering Business Class on that day for $525 USD.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:30 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
DL is offering Business Class on that day for $525 USD.
Where do you see that? LOL Can't seem to find it..
Old Nov 21, 2016, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Where do you see that? LOL Can't seem to find it..
It's showing up on ITA at 1,651,000 Columbian pesos, but you're right: When I check on delta.com, the fares are quoted in USD, and are much higher. Sorry for the false alarm.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 1:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by guv1976
It's showing up on ITA at 1,651,000 Columbian pesos, but you're right: When I check on delta.com, the fares are quoted in USD, and are much higher. Sorry for the false alarm.
haha so regarding the redemption what are your thoughts?
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
haha so regarding the redemption what are your thoughts?
At the highest valuation, AA sells miles at three cents a mile ($1,666' plus fees). What do you think? It's your choice.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

so does that mean its a toss up? lolol
Same either way...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K
50k for $1500 would be worth it to me. I'd use miles.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:04 pm

A Kayak search shows economy tickets starting at $420 on January 10th, but those have 2 stops including a 12-hour overnight layover in PHL. One stop tickets in Miami are running $750 on AA. Even at the $750 rate, you're only getting 1.5 cpp for your American miles. If you're cash poor and points rich, go for the award ticket. You could probably get more value out of your points in the long run. If it were me and I wasn't in a huge rush, I would probably just book the $420 tickets, have a fun night in Philly (mid January is low travel season, so nice hotels are cheap), and head back to the airport the next morning.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mipaho
A Kayak search shows economy tickets starting at $420 on January 10th, but those have 2 stops including a 12-hour overnight layover in PHL. One stop tickets in Miami are running $750 on AA. Even at the $750 rate, you're only getting 1.5 cpp for your American miles. If you're cash poor and points rich, go for the award ticket. You could probably get more value out of your points in the long run. If it were me and I wasn't in a huge rush, I would probably just book the $420 tickets, have a fun night in Philly (mid January is low travel season, so nice hotels are cheap), and head back to the airport the next morning.
Don't have the luxury of the overnight in PHL unfortunately.
Also, the $750 rates you are seeing also all require overnight in MIA.

Any route that actually arrives the same day in YYZ is in the 1300-1500 range...
Old Nov 21, 2016, 4:24 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mipaho

AND... the 2 stop in PHL arrives at 12:30am....doesn't leave much of a night..
And it does not leave for YYZ till 1:30pm the next day.. Id rather spend the night in BOG
Old Nov 22, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: AA-PLT, HH-GLD, PP
I just spent 100K points for a ticket for my wife that would have cost $3K, which is about the same ratio. I think it's about as good as you're going to do if you, like me, typically need to book flights (vs. upgrades) for specific dates. I envy those who have the luxury of looking out 11 months and having the flexibility to snag bargains.

I'd book it and then keep looking to see if a bargain shows up. Though, I doubt one will appear. I've lived in Colombia for almost a decade and it has been my experience that between Dec 14 and Jan 15 you are going to pay through the nose to get to North America whether you book 11 months or 1 week in advance.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 12:54 pm

Consider buying a roundtrip ticket and then not using the return flight (or do). Here are some good options that I see on Kayak:

Fly Delta mixed class (business from BOG-ATL, econ from ATL-YYZ) on Jan 10-mid feb for $977/pp

Fly AA business class on Jan 10-mid feb for $1500/pp

I didn't see much in the way of economy that compares with those two.

There may be even cheaper options - I just plugged in mid-february for the return as my first search.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 1:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If you value a 1-stop itin, the peace of mind of being on a single PNR, and already have 50,000 AA miles, I'd redeem the award.

You could probably piece something funky together for a mix of cash and miles that is theoretically better. My first thoughts were (a) cheap flight to ORD and then the 7500-mile award from there or (b) some sort of better option to Buffalo. But on a very quick check, it seems like neither of those yields an option that is both convenient and more optimal than just spending 50,000 miles. (The problem is getting an award seat out of Bogota to anywhere.)

So...there we have it...a case where a double-miles award is probably the best option short of extra connections and/or an overnight stay.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 2:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
If you value a 1-stop itin, the peace of mind of being on a single PNR, and already have 50,000 AA miles, I'd redeem the award.

You could probably piece something funky together for a mix of cash and miles that is theoretically better. My first thoughts were (a) cheap flight to ORD and then the 7500-mile award from there or (b) some sort of better option to Buffalo. But on a very quick check, it seems like neither of those yields an option that is both convenient and more optimal than just spending 50,000 miles. (The problem is getting an award seat out of Bogota to anywhere.)

So...there we have it...a case where a double-miles award is probably the best option short of extra connections and/or an overnight stay.
Agreed - Played with every permutation haha - Even using UA to MEX on partners... then delta MEX-YYZ direct on AM. .. in the end it all seemed a hastle...

Thanks everyone for their input!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.