Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA MR Memories

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:00 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
A few of my favorites MR where the ORD-FRA rt run for <$300, did quite a few weekends going up to FRA just drink beer and back home. The other favorites one, the one that opened me up to other nearby airports was the $39 RT MKE-ORD/DFW-SFO FARES, you could only do one a day, but it was dirt cheap EQM.
Old Nov 22, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG GLD, Starbucks (SBUX) Super Duper Executive Gold Global Priority Platinum Prestige
Recent MR IAH>DFW>HKG and back HKG>LAX>IAH with a 2 hour turn. My outbound went MX with a 3 hour delay but wasn't worried since the inbound was on the same outbound aircraft. The reservation system didn't catch this though, so it rebooked me HKG>LHR>IAH

When I got off the plane in HKG, I actually overheard the gate crew discussing that flight's misconnects and how one passenger (me ) had a 2 hour layover before flying back. It was funny hearing them speculate why anyone would be crazy enough to do such a thing, but one seasoned GA explained the concept of the MR (unbeknownst that I had just walked right past them)
Old Nov 23, 2016, 6:46 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by patmcpsu
Back in the US Air days, there was a $79 r/t fare PHL-LAS. I believe I did 3 runs in December 2014 (leaving on a Friday night, returning Saturday night) to re-qualify for 50k status.

Of course, I had unlimited upgrades back then, so I was even able to mileage-run in style.
I did a couple PHL-LAS runs for $140.60 this year and was in F too.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold, DL SM, HY Disc, Marriott LT Gold
I haven't done a lot of pure MRs over the years, although I've let EQM and a cheap fare point me to many places for a long weekend - usually I like to double up and do mattress runs in a cheaper city at the same time.

Many of the pure one-day MRs which I do take have been relatively short distance 4-segment runs. Stuff like ORD-PHL-PIT/back or back in the TWA acquisition days ORD-STL-MCI/back. Flights which are mostly empty and where I can take a book (then) or my Kindle or tablet (now) and spend a Saturday reading between some 1-2 hours flights and some ACs. I always did them for the EQM or EQS, not the RDM.

In 2017, I'll be looking for some Tier Point segment runs on AA+BA to get at least BA Silver or hopefully BA Gold status to replace my EXP. The drop from 60 to 40 TP per short AA F segment hurts, but it's still a value at times. I've decided that I'm not going to play the 500-miler game in 2018, it's cheaper to just buy up to F when needed, although usually that's on DL and not AA given the markets in which I fly.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:50 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by cynicAAl
I think it was about 2006/07 and I needed to re-qual for EXP, so I did LAX-LHR-LAX RT for $ 299. This was about the time that AA stopped serving free booze in coach. The guy across the aisle from me was upset about this, and was arguing with the FA. She asked him "How much did you pay for this flight ?". He answered "$ 299 round trip". Her response: "Exactly" as she walked away.

Another year I needed only a few more miles, so I booked the same day turn SNA-DFW-SNA. As we were preparing to land in DFW, the FA read off all the connecting flights and gates, and ended with "and to the passenger returning to Orange County, this is your plane, we are your crew, and I'll have your Diet Coke ready as soon as we are catered".
I did a number of ORD>LAX runs in 2011 and 2012 (DEQMS), and I was always glad when I saw the crew walk off to another flight, so I didn't have that awkward moment when I re-boarded the same plane. For awhile, most of the lines for the crew were ORD>LAX>LAS>?
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:55 am

Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I did a number of ORD>LAX runs in 2011 and 2012 (DEQMS), and I was always glad when I saw the crew walk off to another flight, so I didn't have that awkward moment when I re-boarded the same plane. For awhile, most of the lines for the crew were ORD>LAX>LAS>?
I once did a MIA-MAN and stayed overnight. On the outbound I asked for a Vodka rocks and then an iced tea. The same crew on the return the next day brought that to me without asking.

I raised more than a few eye brows when I boarded the next AM and one drew me into a conversation about my trip. I got the feeling they thought I was auditing the crew or worked for AA.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AA- EXP UA - Silver SPG- PLT Marriott- PLT
Originally Posted by chicagoflyer1976
I should add- I probably did 10-12 of these ORD>LAX runs, and never missed one upgrade as an EXP. Had one battleground, but everything cleared like a charm, many on Saturdays, but a number on Sundays and other days of the week.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 9:44 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
I envy the discipline of the MRunners to Europe as I would regret not spending days there enjoying whatever the particular city had to offer. Same with GRU (family) or GIG (fun). The only two I've done were JFK LAX/SFO. The first time felt really really strange - I grabbed a burger and shake at the stand near the AA gates in SFO. When re-boarding for the return about an hour and a half later, the GA did a double take. At LAX, the turn was very quick, and the GA asked me why I was getting back on if I just got off. Told her about the MR and she said she didn't believe people really did it and I was proof that it happened.

In all four legs, I did feel guilty getting upgraded to J with people behind me missing out.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: Alaska 100K - MM, defender of shoes on the carpeted bulkhead 4ever, AA LT PLT, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia
2011- SEA-ORD-HEL twice once in May and once in October - brilliant sunny days and VIPs cleared on all four legs.

My face was nicely tanned on my return in May, a colleague asked if I had gone to HNL for the weekend.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 11:55 am

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Lots of inspiring memories which I will keep in mind while I do my first AA mileage run in Dec to reach ExPlat for the first time. Kind of a weak BWI-PHL-FCO-PHL-BWI, but after 12+ years as a 100,000 mile per year flyer on United, I look forward to some new experiences with AA.
Old Nov 23, 2016, 12:06 pm

I arrived too late to the game to have many meaningful MR's. In fact, this year was my first and only set: a few ORD-LAX RT's for $65 each. Qualified for elite status but now getting 200 RDMs for a RT to LAX instead of 3,500 is a killer. One time I made a day of it with another FT'er, and also my wife. We went to lunch and also the Broad Museum. I did enjoy people asking me "what did you do Saturday" and I could reply "went to LA for a day trip."

It's extra sad because I know if I had gotten into this a few years earlier, I would have been all over it. Oh well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.