Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 2, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by cova
That is the case with a non-Elite companion. Problem is when the companion has Elite status, but lower. Then under airport control they drop to their own status.

Hence it has been better if your companion was non-Elite.

Having the lower level Elite added back to the status of the higher Elite required manual process. At an AC - the agents know how to do it. But at a small airport (PSP for example), where the agents are contract employees they don't know how to do it and they say it is not possible.

Hopefully these changes fixes all this.
This makes sense -- my non-status companions have always shown up right behind me on the PALL list, so looks like this change primarily benefits EXPs with PLT or GLD companions or PLTs with GLD companions (or I suppose soon CKs with EXP, PLT, or GLD companions ).
Old Dec 2, 2016, 1:03 pm

Apologies if this is a FAQ, but do I understand correctly that the companion does not have to be on the same PNR?

My wife (currently no status) and I almost always travel on separate PNRs, because my company requires me to use a corporate travel agent that will not make companion reservations. Often we are just together for the outbound or return flight, and on separate flights for the other. I've seen references to linking the PNRs--how does one go about doing that?

I expect to make EXP next week, so this will be a bigger concern in 2017. We are likely to run into the situation for both domestic (certificates) and international (SWU or mileage+copay) flights.
Old Dec 5, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a general PALL list issue - I thought there was a general thread for it but couldn't find it. Can someone point me to it ? Thanks
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:24 am

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
I have a general PALL list issue - I thought there was a general thread for it but couldn't find it. Can someone point me to it ? Thanks
"Airport Upgrade and Standby List" / Order, PALL List and issues (master thd)
Old Dec 5, 2016, 10:52 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
That's correct, see the thread about all first class revenue fares moving over to J, D, I fares (biz fares). As a result, miles + co-pay upgrades will now be pulled out of C, which will make them much more difficult to confirm at booking. Gary Leff also wrote about this a few days ago.
I'm a bit (or, very) late to the game replying to this, but I wanted to clear something up so this doesn't stand uncorrected:

A will remain the correct inventory for upgrades into first on 3-class flights in January—in fact, it will become the only inventory for these upgrades, since there are no sticker upgrades into first on 3-class flights.

The change that's happening in January is that upgrades from economy on 2-class flights will line up to match upgrades from economy on 3-class flights: upgrades come from C for miles+copay, BE & SWU, and from R for stickers, on all flights. This is a notable change for 2-class flights within the 50 states, as those were previously inconsistent with other 2-class flights in this regard.

It's likely this neat logical reasoning will go to H-E-double-hockey-sticks when premium economy comes into existence as an actual cabin... unless of course AA roll it out fleetwide and upgrades from economy on all flights go into premium economy.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 8:31 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Reminder bump
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA
- In the case of a non-status companion who has stickers from prior lapsed status, I assume the stickers would still be drawn from the status pax account, correct? The inherited status is for rank on the PALL list only, not truly temporary elite status in all respects.

- Am I correct in understanding that with a 2-pax linked PNR, pre-airport upgrade would only happen together (i.e., if 2 seats are available), while upgrade from the airport waitlist could happen separately (i.e., if only 1 seat available)? Is the best method to prevent an at-gate split to let the GA know you would like to decline a 1-pax upgrade? (...short of removing both from the upgrade list, obviously).

Thanks.
Old Dec 29, 2016, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by Resident
- In the case of a non-status companion who has stickers from prior lapsed status, I assume the stickers would still be drawn from the status pax account, correct? The inherited status is for rank on the PALL list only, not truly temporary elite status in all respects.
No idea. (I kind of doubt anyone knows until this actually happens since most people at AA don't even understand what their systems are operating in steady-state mode.)

Am I correct in understanding that with a 2-pax linked PNR, pre-airport upgrade would only happen together (i.e., if 2 seats are available), while upgrade from the airport waitlist could happen separately (i.e., if only 1 seat available)? Is the best method to prevent an at-gate split to let the GA know you would like to decline a 1-pax upgrade? (...short of removing both from the upgrade list, obviously).
In my experience, GAs have been universally good about asking what I want in situations like this. It does mean that you may want to hang about the gate or communicate proactively when you think this might happen, though.
Old Jan 5, 2017, 2:50 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE
Bumping this - would my PALL status inheritance (up til battlefield) hold for a non-status companion on a separate PNR? Many thanks
Old Jan 9, 2017, 1:41 pm

Programs: AA Explat, UA former 1K + PremExec, DL
What will be the effect on 3- or 4-person PNRs?

I am planning a trip with my wife (Platinum) and her parents. Should I leave it as one PNR or split to two (Me+1, She+1)? Leaving aside the likelihood that 4 spots opening up at once is unlikely, will not splitting eliminate the PALL benefit completely? (I assume by splitting as indicated, we'd get EXP, EXP, PLAT, PLAT as the priority.)
Old Jan 10, 2017, 12:08 am

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
You should only have one person as a companion (elite+non-elite) and do two reservations. I have never gotten an auto-upgrade processed with one PNR of four (two elites and two non-elites). I got it done manually, but those days are way in the past.

Rasheed
Old Jan 10, 2017, 5:09 am
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by G-CIVC
Bumping this - would my PALL status inheritance (up til battlefield) hold for a non-status companion on a separate PNR? Many thanks
No - your companion needs to be on the same PNR to inherit your status for complimentary upgrades.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 2:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3mm, Hyatt Globalist
So, is this policy posted anywhere? I just booked a flight for myself and a friend to Europe, then called the CK line (I know there is no such thing), and the rep said there was no such thing; I asked him to check, he went offline and said he checked up and down and there is no policy change.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:12 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by lcflyer
So, is this policy posted anywhere? I just booked a flight for myself and a friend to Europe, then called the CK line (I know there is no such thing), and the rep said there was no such thing; I asked him to check, he went offline and said he checked up and down and there is no policy change.
A severe lack of clarity at this point as to if there's been a delay or even a change, you can see a discussion here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...l#post27720583

The original section (below) could only be read as applying all upgrades, IMO, but, evidently-- for now-- hasn't turned out that way:

The numeric suffixes added to priority list codes (VIP/UPG/OS/RI/RV) will be changing with the addition of the ConciergeKey and Platinum Pro tiers. Effective January 1, the suffixes will be:

1 - ConciergeKey
2 - Executive Platinum
3 - Platinum Pro
4 - Platinum
5 - Gold
(no suffix) - no status

Also effective January 1, companions of an elite member will receive the same priority on the PALL list as the elite member.
Old Jan 10, 2017, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by golfingboy
No - your companion needs to be on the same PNR to inherit your status for complimentary upgrades.
I am confused by this. AA just told me today that they linked my PNR with my companions PNR and that we are both good to be upgraded at the EXP window if there two seats available. She asked if we wanted to split or not, which I said not.

IS this 100% confirmed that there is no more linking of two PNRs for companion status on PALL list?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.