Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 10, 2017, 4:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Priority List (“PALL”) Changes
Upgrade Priority Change to Status, Rolling 365 Day EQD Began 20 May 2017

Upgrade priority is now based on Status held first, then by rolling Elite Qualifying Dollar spend over the last 365 days
within upgrade types; see below. See this thread.

"New Upgrade Priority Link to Gary Leff, View From the Wing 16 May 2017

Upgrades are currently prioritized by elite status and then time of request."

As of May 20 upgrade prioritization is:
  • Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
    2. Executive Platinum
    3. Platinum Pro
    4. Platinum
    5. Gold
  • Upgrade type
    1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
    2. 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets
    3. 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards)
  • Elite qualifying dollars in the past 12 months

• Booking class

• Time of request"

No- or lower status companion and effect on upgrade position

WAIT LIST, SAME PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, stated as least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

WAIT LIST, SEPARATE PNR: Prior to upgrade request going to airport list
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

AIRPORT LIST, SAME PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status. (BX is unsure, but is least of priorities, likely to up D-24 only)

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status

AIRPORT LIST, SEPARATE PNR:
  • 500 mile / UDU: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

• SWU, Miles & Copay, Business Extra: lower status passenger DOES NOT "borrow" higher status under any circumstance

• Award travel: lower status passenger "borrows" higher status IF PNRs "linked"

NOTES:
  1. Traveling companion 500 mile upgrades (even for those pax using UDU) "stickers" must pull from higher status passenger's account.

2. Lower status passenger previously "borrowing" higher status may require human processing at the airport to re-establish "borrowed status" linkage

(Companion information thanks to DW)

Updated 8 June 2017 by JDiver
Print Wikipost

Elite companions inherit Priority List “PALL” upgrade sponsor status (Jan 2017)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
This is only good news if it happens to be your companion that is being upgraded , for everyone else it just means you can be nudged further down the list by people with lower/no status...
Old Nov 12, 2016, 4:26 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Excellent break-down by Gary:

http://viewfromthewing.boardingarea....des-waitlists/

You might say, but that’s the way it works now and sometimes it is. Gate agents sometimes do this manually (processing lists out of order) and sometimes status is managed this way. But it’s not at all consistent.

In fact, American’s own website isn’t exactly consistent in how they describe the way this is supposed to work.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 5:26 pm

Programs: AS 100K
The thing that will make this interesting is that a lot of "nobodys" have been able to confirm upgrades at booking with miles and money since the reservations integration. That's now coming to an end this weekend, so who knows? Maybe there will be more net space available (though anybody who chooses to roll the dice by waitlisting with miles and money will likely still have priority over EXP comp upgrades).

Or maybe not and we're seeing the end of free upgrades for EXPs. Quite a distance to fall in the last two years.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Gold 5*
But EXP does not earn stickers. So does EXP need to buy stickers for these companion upgrades? Seems they should let EXP earn stickers too, now that there would a reason to have them......
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:46 pm

I'm surprised at the negative reactions. First of all, this "change" is how, in practice, companion upgrades have worked for me since I gained AA status around 2010. I'm guessing those complaining don't use companion upgrades often and just weren't aware of this happening before.

Second, on most flights, I don't want to be upgraded at the cost of leaving my companion behind. And if I did, there's always the option of splitting the reservation.

Overall a positive change if only for the guarantee of consistency, and for publishing a policy that was previously unclear.

Last edited by _kurt; Nov 12, 2016 at 8:52 pm
Old Nov 12, 2016, 8:54 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by split8s
But EXP does not earn stickers. So does EXP need to buy stickers for these companion upgrades? Seems they should let EXP earn stickers too, now that there would a reason to have them......
I'm willing to trade my earned stickers for your earned SWU's!
Old Nov 12, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Amb Elite & LT Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Remember, CK is even higher than EP effective Jan 1-- if that helps at all
CK is automatically made an EXP, regardless of miles. And of the CK's I know they were given it because of their high annual spend. With new UG priority, in theory, most CK should be ahead of regular EXP. I also understand that some CK's are given it because they control large travel budgets, they would now jump EXP's in personal dollar spend by default.

What is not clear about the rule change is if this means your companion retains your status if you've been upgraded and they have not (i.e. no longer need two seats to open up for UG to process).

Still wonder if the spend priority applies to EVIP's.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by deac83
CK is automatically made an EXP, regardless of miles.
CK is becoming a status level greater than EXP.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 6:23 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by deac83
CK is automatically made an EXP, regardless of miles. And of the CK's I know they were given it because of their high annual spend. With new UG priority, in theory, most CK should be ahead of regular EXP. .
No, that's not an accurate picture. Trust me, I know a bit on the subject.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:13 am

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum; Hilton Diamond
Daft

Sorry to ask such a basic question. Does this mean that if I (PLT) list with a companion (GLD), that companion floats freely on the list with my status (instead of theirs) so that if one seat opens in F, I get it, and if another opens they get it? Or does there still have to be two seats that open simultaneously? And whatever the answer, would this also apply to international UPG requests with miles?

Thanks!
Old Nov 13, 2016, 7:25 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sosfo
Sorry to ask such a basic question. Does this mean that if I (PLT) list with a companion (GLD), that companion floats freely on the list with my status (instead of theirs) so that if one seat opens in F, I get it, and if another opens they get it? Or does there still have to be two seats that open simultaneously? And whatever the answer, would this also apply to international UPG requests with miles?
Last question addressed (speculatively) just upthread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/27471865-post14.html

First question is not, to my knowledge anyway, authoritatively answered/answerable yet.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:19 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
My experience has been (EXP + Gold companion)

If Elite+Companion clears upgrade in advance - then stickers come out of EXP account.

Less than 24 hours, Companion changes automatically to their status on the list. Takes an agent at the AC to change that and make the Gold companion set at EXP for priority. Then stickers come out of companion account.

Also - issue has been that if only one upgrade available, then the record as to be split, which eliminates the pairing. Something needs done to fix that.

At the cost of stickers - it is almost as cheap to just by the F seat for the companion.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:24 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by flyingmusicianlax
The thing that will make this interesting is that a lot of "nobodys" have been able to confirm upgrades at booking with miles and money since the reservations integration. That's now coming to an end this weekend, so who knows? Maybe there will be more net space available (though anybody who chooses to roll the dice by waitlisting with miles and money will likely still have priority over EXP comp upgrades).

Or maybe not and we're seeing the end of free upgrades for EXPs. Quite a distance to fall in the last two years.
I must have missed something. Are you saying that non-elites can no longer upgrade to A class with miles and copay?

I really think the A class upgrade for "nobodys" is what takes up a lot of F seats - with lost of paid F and Elite upgrades.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:54 am

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by cova
I must have missed something. Are you saying that non-elites can no longer upgrade to A class with miles and copay?

I really think the A class upgrade for "nobodys" is what takes up a lot of F seats - with lost of paid F and Elite upgrades.
That's correct, see the thread about all first class revenue fares moving over to J, D, I fares (biz fares). As a result, miles + co-pay upgrades will now be pulled out of C, which will make them much more difficult to confirm at booking. Gary Leff also wrote about this a few days ago.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 8:57 am

Programs: AA EXP MM, HHonors Lifetime Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Ti, UA Silver
Originally Posted by cova
Also - issue has been that if only one upgrade available, then the record as to be split, which eliminates the pairing. Something needs done to fix that.
I travel with my wife (who is Plat) frequently, and the strategy of splitting or not splitting in order to maximize upgrade chances is currently a significant question. An A319 with several of the 8 F seats occupied usually results in my splitting our PNRs with the expectation that only one F upgrade seat is likely to open at a time. With larger or less occupied F cabins I might keep the PNR together.

So my question is whether the "companion" that inherits the status actually needs to be on the same PNR, or simply on the same flight (with a different PNR) as the higher level elite to receive the higher level elite's PALL list status?

(and Jon, I know you probably don't have an answer to this one yet)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.