FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   Refundable, fully flexible tickets - but with penalties / fees (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1800783-refundable-fully-flexible-tickets-but-penalties-fees.html)

ijgordon Jul 17, 2017 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerguy99 (Post 28568880)
This does not appear to be true any longer (July 2017).
<snip>
Anything more and I have to enter all the info, choose seats, etc. No way to read the fare rules to decide whether I want to bother going through the entire purchase process.

I actually noticed this the other day, and was :confused: because I didn't remember it being like this. The link to the fare rules doesn't show up until RIGHT ABOVE the button for "Purchase" after you've entered the passenger's info, selected seats (which you can skip of course), and are on the payment page. (Of course you don't have to actually *enter* any payment info).

I don't know if this was intentional by AA, but it's grossly pathetic. :mad: :td:
I'll be sending in a complaint to AA, for starters, but the regulators really should be on their case about disclosures. Of course I'm not hopeful on that front in the current environment.

sbrower Jul 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon (Post 28571245)
I actually noticed this the other day, and was :confused: because I didn't remember it being like this. The link to the fare rules doesn't show up until RIGHT ABOVE the button for "Purchase" after you've entered the passenger's info, selected seats (which you can skip of course), and are on the payment page. (Of course you don't have to actually *enter* any payment info).

I don't know if this was intentional by AA, but it's grossly pathetic. :mad: :td:
I'll be sending in a complaint to AA, for starters, but the regulators really should be on their case about disclosures. Of course I'm not hopeful on that front in the current environment.

Maybe it would be a good idea to get some help from AA on this issue. I am pretty smart, and pretty sophisticated, and I still have a hard time reading fare rules. Maybe more people should be calling to make reservations and ask for the entire fare rule to be read and explained. And then request that a copy of the fare rule be attached to the booking confirmation so that you have a record.

Gig103 Aug 24, 2017 6:01 pm

I recently ran into the problem mentioned, where I saw "Business Flexible" but no details on what that meant. Can anyone clue me in or should I complete a dummy booking?

Gino Troian Aug 24, 2017 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 28732456)
I recently ran into the problem mentioned, where I saw "Business Flexible" but no details on what that meant. Can anyone clue me in or should I complete a dummy booking?

I know there's Business Flexible and Business Fully Flexible... Not sure how the hell you ticket Fully Flex, but I got it on a recent flight on two legs, booked in fare code J. Every search on AA.com brings up D fare which I believe is much more limited? It also seems like Full Flex Y fares are more expensive than Flex D fares... Strange

Dave Noble Aug 24, 2017 8:21 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 28732456)

you need to look at the fare rules and see; there is no magic answer that fits all

ijgordon Aug 24, 2017 8:24 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28732876)
you need to look at the fare rules and see; there is no magic answer that fits all

Specifically, the "Penalties" section.

Gig103 Aug 25, 2017 5:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28732876)

So, a dummy booking it is. What a hassle. it's a "D" fare, I know that much.

Dave Noble Aug 25, 2017 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103 (Post 28736639)
So, a dummy booking it is. What a hassle. it's a "D" fare, I know that much.

D itself means nothing; that could be a fare with no penalty all the way to non refundable ; if the AA site is not very good for this, perhaps book on another site

Where is the flight from and to

Gig103 Aug 25, 2017 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble (Post 28736695)
D itself means nothing; that could be a fare with no penalty all the way to non refundable ; if the AA site is not very good for this, perhaps book on another site

Where is the flight from and to

LAX-PVG. I believe you but am still surprised that the fare basis can change even within a letter - goes to show how little I really know about bookings. I'll do the dummy booking this weekend, thanks Dave.

Dave Noble Aug 26, 2017 12:14 am

Looking at the lowest LAX-PVG r/t fares in D class , there seems to be a $500 cancellation penalty and a $400 change fee - this sems to be the same as the cheaper I class fares

Looks like for that route, you need to go up to a J fare to avoid having any penalties

petteriusa Sep 4, 2017 9:29 am

Is there anyway at all to see the fare rules once you've purchased the ticket? I cannot find the fare basis or fare rules at all on the website.

Thanks!

Gig103 Sep 4, 2017 11:47 pm

Originally Posted by petteriusa (Post 28774870)
Is there anyway at all to see the fare rules once you've purchased the ticket? I cannot find the fare basis or fare rules at all on the website.

Thanks!

Bumping on your behalf, because I logged into my account to find it for an upcoming flight, and cannot find it either.

wolfie_cr Dec 16, 2017 10:42 am

coming in months later with my own rant about this, its ABSURD and ridiculous that a reservation put on hold HAS the link to the fare rules while a PAID /TICKETED one does not include such a thing'

all these "justifications" on how you supposed to read lots of text which non clear statements in which, essentially not even AA agents can understand the actual "penalty" cost,will have to be put aside by that little blunder....

ijgordon Dec 16, 2017 11:55 am

You need to view and save/PDF the fare rules at the time of purchase; specifically right before you click "pay". If you don't like it, you can complain to the DOT (though seems unlikely that will ever actually accomplish a change, certainly in the current regulatory environment), or book with another airline that provides better disclosures.
I will note that the formatting of fare rules on AA.com is atrocious, the Penalties section is one long, long block of text and it's nearly impossible to discern the various hierarchies of the language. Doesn't matter so much for just determining the change/cancel fee, but it might for determining how it's applied when changing before/after departure and whether you're changing the first or subsequent segments (e.g., whether itinerary is repriced at current or historical fares).

1Bag1World Jan 3, 2018 2:14 pm

Be wary of hidden non-disclosed AA fees

I booked a flight on AA in Biz class from LAX-HND. The fare stated that it was refundable and nowhere was there mention of a refund fee. In fact, in the fare box it said refundable.

Unfortunately, I had to cancel to flight. When I requested a refund, I was told there was $500 fee even though it said on the refund page that the fare was refundable. I called and after an hour got through and was told it was a non-refundable fare but you could get a refund for $500. I stated there was no mention of this anywhere and that all it said was refundable. When asked why the refund requst page said the fare was refundable, twice, I was told it meant the fare was refundable for a fee. No mention of any fee anywhere when I booked or on any documents I received. And I could tell the person I dealth with couldn't care less.

I have hundreds of thousands of miles with AA but they don't care. If they will start to play games with those of us who fly in the upper classes, what chance does anyone else have.

Any ideas on how I can proceed to take this to the next level?. I have booked dozens upon dozens of tickets so I know what to look for regarding fees. This fare when booked said refundable and unless that has a new meaning, I'm being ripped off.