Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA Rebanking PHL

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2016, 5:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
AA Rebanking PHL

In today's Philadelphia Inquirier. I can't comprehend further reductions to BOS. Those planes are already absolutely jammed.

http://www.philly.com/philly/busines...s-PHL-hub.html
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
The three-year commitment to maintain hubs at historical levels made with states Attorneys General is nearly complete. (Yes: merger 12/9/13)

http://hub.aa.com/en/nr/pressrelease...orneys-general
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
The first shot?

(Conjecture) Could this be the 1st shot at "de-hubbing" PHL?

(Sarcasm on) If so, does one think the overly customer centric gate agents in PHL, can get jobs as overly customer centric "orange shirts" () at security? (Sarcasm off)
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Yes, let's rebank another hub, because rebanking DFW and ORD has done so much good for on time stats and performance.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: AA
I don't see the doom and gloom, yes PHL suffers from weakened O&D due to proximity to NYC's airports with cheaper fares, but AA will not reduce PHL to a focus city any time soon. Philadelphia is a huge city and metropolitan area, and AA still sends a ton of connecting traffic through - where else is it going to go?

Pulling back to six banks instead of eight makes sense. AA admits that their "first of the day" flights (leaving outstations sometimes as early as 5:30am) just aren't successful, so they are pulling those back.

This should, however, be a wake-up call to airport management that relying on AA and not offering incentives to other airlines (particularly European carriers) has been a mistake. It's no wonder you are seeing a Frontier build up (hiring 100 flight attendants in the region) and Icelandair starting service. I suspect we'll see an even bigger Frontier push next spring/summer.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:18 am

Programs: AA EXP
So we'll end up with shortened connection times in some of the most congested airspace in the world. What could go wrong?
Old Oct 12, 2016, 9:28 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold, National EE
Originally Posted by upinsmoke
So we'll end up with shortened connection times in some of the most congested airspace in the world. What could go wrong?
This

And we're heading into winter to boot!
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:16 am

Originally Posted by upinsmoke
Where do you get that idea?
PHL is already a banked hub.
There will be two fewer banks during the day, using larger aircraft.
There is not a single indication that connection length is either increasing or decreasing.
I know some people like to complain for complaining sake, but at least read the article before doing so...
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:45 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by cedric
Where do you get that idea?
PHL is already a banked hub.
There will be two fewer banks during the day, using larger aircraft.
There is not a single indication that connection length is either increasing or decreasing.
I know some people like to complain for complaining sake, but at least read the article before doing so...
^

All of the LUS hubs were already banked. It's only the LAA hubs that can't seem to manage it for some reason.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 10:53 am

Programs: DL Diamond, AA revenue negative, Bonvoy Titanium +, Avis likes me
DFW has had a GREAT year this year

Then there are those of us (participants, un-willing participants, victims, etc.) who can speak to the "glory" of re banking.

(Sarcasm on) Personal experience-2016-If you are sitting in DFW, when you REALLY JUST WANT TO GET OFF (AND HOME), OR GET TO YOUR NEXT FLIGHT, and there was weather within 25,000 miles, then you are in deep tapioca.

<redacted>

Last edited by Microwave; Oct 12, 2016 at 11:57 am Reason: Removed unwelcoming comment
Old Oct 12, 2016, 11:28 am

Originally Posted by Philly.com
"Philadelphia is one of our most profitable hubs. We love Philadelphia. We have no plans of exiting Philadelphia at all," Raja said. "But Philadelphia is a connecting hub." Only 10 percent to 15 percent of passengers on transatlantic flights originate in this region.
Is O&D really only 10-15%? I know PHL isn't exactly NYC but I didn't think it was that low.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP; HHonors Gold; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Is O&D really only 10-15%? I know PHL isn't exactly NYC but I didn't think it was that low.
So that's why AA took the PHL-FRA flight off their schedule.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:24 pm

On re-reading I think that figure is for origin only. There could well be another 10, 15, 20 or even 50% whose destination is PHL. It's the combined O&D figure that matters.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by LPCJr
I can't comprehend further reductions to BOS. Those planes are already absolutely jammed.
Well, presumably there will be less total connecting traffic carried, redistributing it to other hubs. They also mention using larger planes on PHL-BOS, but there are already lots of A321s and 757s (and A330s in the winter), so it's not clear to me how much bigger they can go.

For local traffic, flying PHL-BOS only saves about two hours (door-to-door) relative to the Amtrak Regional for us, and we have no trouble getting very cheap fares on AA. The Acela cuts that difference by 45-65 minutes. So I have trouble imagining that even the local traffic is hugely lucrative. Or at least the advance-purchase local traffic, which they can revenue manage away and leave plenty of space for the short-notice local traffic at high fares.
Old Oct 12, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
On re-reading I think that figure is for origin only. There could well be another 10, 15, 20 or even 50% whose destination is PHL. It's the combined O&D figure that matters.
THat would be a most unusual way of reporting the statistics. I suspect it's slightly sloppy wording by the newspaper reporter (a first!) and that the really either meant "Only 10 percent to 15 percent of passengers on eastbound transatlantic flights originate in this region" or "Only 10 percent to 15 percent of passengers on transatlantic flights originate in or travel to this region".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.