Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Buy/Share AAdv miles for up to 35% less. Good deal?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2016, 5:14 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade

https://buymiles.aa.com/en/share?c=S...EN,US_TRANSFER

historically is this a good deal? Or should I wait for a better discount to transfer/share miles?

I have 3 kids whose accounts have approx 27k each of accrued miles that alone have limited value but pooled into my or wife's account would add up to a premium international award. The cost seems to be approx 0.8 c/mile (on top of earning cost already borne).
Old Sep 19, 2016, 8:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by alect

historically is this a good deal? Or should I wait for a better discount to transfer/share miles?

I have 3 kids whose accounts have approx 27k each of accrued miles that alone have limited value but pooled into my or wife's account would add up to a premium international award. The cost seems to be approx 0.8 c/mile (on top of earning cost already borne).
As you seem to have realized this is an awful value proposition- even with a 35% discount- except to top up an account for a near term award booking.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdv GLD(MM), QF LTS, UA MP_nada, HH Gld, SPG, GoldenCircle Jade
Right. But given I have stranded miles, historically is this a good discount?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Right. But given I have stranded miles, historically is this a good discount?
Judging from the promotional emails I've received, it seems right in line with history.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 5:03 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
If your idea is to top up accounts in order to combine them all for award redemption, suggest you look at the end cost of the transferring of miles for award redemption vs cost of ticket purchase. If your idea is to extent the expiration of miles in stranded accounts, there are others cheaper ways to do this, such as buying something through AAdvantage shopping portal and crediting to the individual accounts in questions.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
My wife's account is at 26k and her miles would be more useful in my EXP account. (She has no AA status) How often does this promo come around - should I transfer speculatively?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:00 am

As a past US Air customer I remember mile matching on gift so that would be 100% bonus on past deals
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, Skymiles, Hilton HHonors, SPG/Marriott Rewards

I would think you would be better off finding a 25K domestic award to use these miles on.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:46 pm
formerly gemini573

Programs: CX Emerald, WOH Globalist, Marriott Platinum, AA Lifetime Platinum, Virtuoso, Prive, STEPS, STARS
Originally Posted by Cledaybuck
I would think you would be better off finding a 25K domestic award to use these miles on.
Agree....now, can you get a sAAver award???

My feeling is, there will be another devaluation once PEY kicks in.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.