Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Two passengers kicked off the same flight in unrelated incidents

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC

First time seeing two unrelated passengers removed from the same flight: DFW-PHL 551 9/16 8:30pm-12:51am

Passenger #1: 1B removed from flight for throwing blanket at another passenger. Passenger boarded late and was clearly agitated at not having overhead space. After not finding a spot for his rollerboard, FA tried to defuse the situation by telling him it would be "valet checked." FA suggested that his briefcase could be put under another seat. 2B declined, and FA ultimately put his bag under 4B (last row of first). After sitting down, passenger threw the blanket bag over his head and seat, hitting 2B in the face. FA immediately contacted ground personnel who removed the passenger from the flight.

Passenger #2: Coach passenger came aboard with 3 large carryons. FA says passenger disregarded repeated instructions to place 1 of the carryons under the seat in front of him. FA says it was her first time having to remove a passenger in 11 years.

FAs also called for LEO to meet the flight in PHL but I was able to disembark prior to their arrival.

While I think both passengers were clearly wrong, I'm wondering if these were relatively minor infractions to get kicked off a flight. Maybe AA can educate passengers by including these two examples in their next advertising campaign.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 2:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Was it the same FA in both cases?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:50 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
GA should have never let pax 2 board with three items, particularly if they were big. I guess neither have followed the advise as outlined in the most recent AA marketing promotion about paxs being nice.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 3:50 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM; Marriott Titanium; Hilton Diamond; Hyatt Explorist; Vistana 5* Elite; Nat'l Exec Elite
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Was it the same FA in both cases?
With the way the OP describes the incident with "Passenger #2", I doubt it.

Originally Posted by flightrisk
First time seeing two unrelated passengers removed from the same flight: DFW-PHL 551 9/16 8:30pm-12:51am

Passenger #1: . . .

Passenger #2: Coach passenger came aboard with 3 large carryons. FA says passenger disregarded repeated instructions to place 1 of the carryons under the seat in front of him. FA says it was her first time having to remove a passenger in 11 years.

. . .
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:40 pm

In the first scenario, what if instead of throwing a blanket, the passenger stood up and farted in the direction of 2B -- would he have been kicked off?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by davie355
In the first scenario, what if instead of throwing a blanket, the passenger stood up and farted in the direction of 2B -- would he have been kicked off?
LMAO LOL
Old Sep 18, 2016, 4:54 pm

Programs: Accor PLT,Thai Silver, HH Dia, SPG Titanium (LT Gold), Aegean Gold, BA Silver
Originally Posted by davie355
I'm not sure but maybe he would have been "blown away"
Old Sep 18, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: Hyatt Glob (Barely); Marriott Plat Life; AA Up and Down Now Plat; Hilton, UA, BA, HA Peasant
FA suggested that his briefcase could be put under another seat. 2B declined.
Really bad FA idea to suggest taking another passenger's space.
Old Sep 18, 2016, 7:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jayer
^
Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by jayer
Not really. If I has nothing at my feet, I would be happy to use the space for the bulkhead passenger's personal item for takeoff and landing. Of course it's the prerogative of the passenger whose feet the bags would be at, so 2B was well within his/her rights to refuse.
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:04 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold

Passenger #1: 1B removed from flight for throwing blanket at another passenger. Passenger boarded late and was clearly agitated at not having overhead space. After not finding a spot for his rollerboard, FA tried to defuse the situation by telling him it would be "valet checked." FA suggested that his briefcase could be put under another seat. 2B declined, and FA ultimately put his bag under 4B (last row of first). After sitting down, passenger threw the blanket bag over his head and seat, hitting 2B in the face. FA immediately contacted ground personnel who removed the passenger from the flight.

FAs also called for LEO to meet the flight in PHL but I was able to disembark prior to their arrival.

While I think both passengers were clearly wrong, I'm wondering if these were relatively minor infractions to get kicked off a flight. Maybe AA can educate passengers by including these two examples in their next advertising campaign.
If both the passengers were removed before departure at DFW, why call for an LEO to meet the flight in PHL?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:19 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
I've been on many flts where the FA(s) held space in the bins above bulkhead seats in F and Y for BH pax (even bins for F are sometimes off limits to Y, but once ALL F have been seated, they let Y use the excess.)
In the "worst case scenario" there is usually space for small items in the closet near the boarding door, couldn't that have been done for these 2 pax?
I seem to have read that 2 is the MAXIMUM number of items per pax, weren't the GA(s) remiss in allowing a pax with 3 c/o's to board?

Last edited by nrr; Sep 19, 2016 at 7:25 am
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:20 am
Original Member

It's not unusual at all for passengers to bring on multiple bags and refuse to put any of them under the seat...I see it on just about every flight..
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by GeorgeJ
It's not unusual at all for passengers to bring on multiple bags and refuse to put any of them under the seat...I see it on just about every flight..
Not putting one under a seat, or refusing when directly told to do so by a FA?
Old Sep 19, 2016, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Why was Uncle Leo called in Philly when both passengers were booted off the plane in DFW???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.