Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA LAX-HKG 777-300ER / 77W discussion, issues, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:20 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Steve M
A big benefit of F service vs J is that you can choose when to have your meals. Especially with the timing of the LAX-HKG flights in both directions, I prefer to eat a meal in the lounge in each city prior to departure, then go to sleep after departure. Then, mid-flight, I have the dinner service normally served soon after takeoff. Or, once I had all courses of the dinner after takeoff, except for the entree, which I saved for mid-flight. No problem doing this if you're in F.
If you alert the FA early enough, would they have a problem doing this in J?
Old Feb 13, 2017, 12:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP +2MM- LT PLT! HH Diamond
Originally Posted by roder
If you alert the FA early enough, would they have a problem doing this in J?
I've never had any issues requesting my meal service for after I wake up instead of after takeoff..
Old Feb 13, 2017, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by teemuflyer
I've never had any issues requesting my meal service for after I wake up instead of after takeoff..
Ditto. When I had a cold and flew HKG-LAX a few months ago in J, I told the FA as she was asking for meal orders that I really just needed to go to sleep so wouldn't be eating, she asked if I wanted them to save a meal of my choice for whenever I woke up.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:28 pm

Better flight crew.

Hi. I was wondering which Hong Kong flights, LAX-HKG-LAX or DFW-HKG-DFW, had the better flight attendants if there is a thread on this already? I guess J class and Y class.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:30 pm

Programs: LH HON
I'm not sure if there's a route with "better" FA, but based on being a regular on both flights, the latter seems to be more hit and miss especially with the senior crew. However I am not a particularly demanding customer,
Old Feb 13, 2017, 4:53 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP
Just took this flight on Friday night and my SWU Cleared- Asked for waitlist about 2 weeks ago... I thought I would not clear, I was sitting in coach and gate agent provided me upgraded boarding pass a few minutes before departure.. Guess someone didnt show up.

on my return last night- From NRT to DFW- I didnt get my upgrade- But I asked for it the night before.. So im 2/3 this year. They did have two open biz seats- but i guess they were for pilots to rest as they did not release them.

on a side note- So this year was my first year ever flying AA Long Haul Product. I tested out the 787-9 and now the 77W- IMO everything on my long haul on the 77w was better- The meals, the service, they gave pajamas; they are super cheap, no name brand .. would choose 77w anyday over 787-9
Old Feb 13, 2017, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt LT Global Elitist, Bonvyoed LT Titanium, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by get0ffdanutzz
IMO everything on my long haul on the 77w was better- The meals, the service, they gave pajamas; they are super cheap, no name brand .. would choose 77w anyday over 787-9
Just note: the Pajamas are only on the HKG and SYD routes. Other 77W routes do not have those features.
Old Feb 13, 2017, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by roder
Just note: the Pajamas are only on the HKG and SYD routes. Other 77W routes do not have those features.
Correct, in business, and also for AKL. However, all 77W (and old nonrefurbished 777) F class has pajamas. Also, I really love the AA pajamas - super soft.

As for better flight crew, I feel that LAX-HKG has a better crew than DFW-HKG. There are much more native language speakers in LAX in general, so LAX-HKG usually translates into a younger crew (which is often better).
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:24 pm

Wife and I are currently booked in the mini-cabin (3J and 4J) on 193 (LAX to HKG) in November. 4D and 4G are open - are the windows even worth it on the flight or is it all at night? I keep going back and forth over sitting "together" vs. having window seats. It's our first trip in a premium cabin together but we both prefer window seats. Not sure how easy it will be to talk if we move to the middle seats given the setup, but obviously we won't be able to given our current seats.

Also what would everyone recommend as far as sleeping times on the flight go? We only have 4 days in Hong Kong so would like to make the arrival day usable if at all possible. Since we're coming from the East Coast worried that might be an issue - scheduled departure is 3am our time - which is 4 in the afternoon in HKG. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by surferfb
Wife and I are currently booked in the mini-cabin (3J and 4J) on 193 (LAX to HKG) in November. 4D and 4G are open - are the windows even worth it on the flight or is it all at night? I keep going back and forth over sitting "together" vs. having window seats. It's our first trip in a premium cabin together but we both prefer window seats. Not sure how easy it will be to talk if we move to the middle seats given the setup, but obviously we won't be able to given our current seats.

Also what would everyone recommend as far as sleeping times on the flight go? We only have 4 days in Hong Kong so would like to make the arrival day usable if at all possible. Since we're coming from the East Coast worried that might be an issue - scheduled departure is 3am our time - which is 4 in the afternoon in HKG. Thanks in advance for any advice!
Haven't taken 193 but have done AA73 LAX-SYD for example, and it'll be dark pretty much the entire flight. If you prefer window seats I'd do window seats!

I know a lot of folks like the mini-cabin - but it's too close to the lavs and galley for me. Our favorite rows are the middle of the main J cabin, rows 8-10 or so. But to each their own!

Sleeping later in the flight so you're refreshed and ready to go when you land at HKG will probably help - but it's a big time change anyway so any sleep you can get on the way will be useful.

Enjoy your trip!
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:14 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Diamond, AA exExPlat, BAEC exGold, HH Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Starriott Titanium, GE

If you sit on the A side, you will be able to see the sunrise

I would stay up and have the full dinner then sleep all the way until breakfast. The flight arrives at a reasonable time way into the morning (so not overly early that you get tired by the afternoon) so you'll feel refreshed this way.
Old Feb 15, 2017, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA

the view on approach to hkg is phenomenal- fishing boats getting started for the day, really long bridge over water (what bridge is this?), mountains. I have always been on the J side, but I guess the A side may have a sunrise view. You are going to be so tired when this flight leaves, and even more tired when you get dinner, that you will hardly be able to enjoy it together - I definitely suggest you both get window seats.
Old Feb 16, 2017, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by DoctorORD
the view on approach to hkg is phenomenal- fishing boats getting started for the day, really long bridge over water (what bridge is this?), mountains. I have always been on the J side, but I guess the A side may have a sunrise view. You are going to be so tired when this flight leaves, and even more tired when you get dinner, that you will hardly be able to enjoy it together - I definitely suggest you both get window seats.
The new 50km Macau road bridge. Not yet finished ^

The departure is so late and arrival so early you can pretty much sleep when you feel like. You will be tired by early evening in HK regardless.
Old Mar 2, 2017, 9:33 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I'm flying this route next week and observed on flightaware that the on-time performance has improved pretty dramatically from where it was in September when I flew it. Anyone else have any observations?

Also, SWUs still clearing on this flight in the 2-3 days before range (or at the gate)?
Old Mar 2, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by badkneeski
I'm flying this route next week and observed on flightaware that the on-time performance has improved pretty dramatically from where it was in September when I flew it. Anyone else have any observations?
I flew over President's Day weekend and flights in both directions were on time. Anecdotal, but it does seem like the situation has dramatically improved.

Originally Posted by badkneeski
Also, SWUs still clearing on this flight in the 2-3 days before range (or at the gate)?
Yes and yes. They seem to clear all but about 6 seats in the 20-48 hour window. The remainder are saved for the gate. Definitely watch EF like a hawk for C, especially around 26 hours out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.