Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA: Be Nice / Great Flyer advertising campaign 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA: Be Nice / Great Flyer advertising campaign 2016

Search this Thread

Old Aug 30, 2016, 10:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
AA: Be Nice

Today's NYT contained an AA advertising insert encouraging pax to be nice to one another. Reviewed in the advertising column: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/30/bu...=business&_r=0

I get an email from AA:

"We believe there’s a great flyer in all of us.

The travelers who know the best way to rack up miles without setting foot on the plane. We call them the World’s Greatest Flyers, and American Airlines AAdvantage® members are just that.

As a great flyer, you know the importance of flying kind. That’s why we’re asking you to share a travel tip to help make flying just a little greater for everyone else.
"

And Consumer Reports arrives with the cover article:
"Secrets to Stress-Free Flying"

The AA email seems to suggest that not flying is the answer.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 1:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
https://secure.fly.aa.com/flyingkind/?cc=9
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
No, AA, why don't you tell your surly FAs to be nice to me.

You, AA, are a big reason air travel is such a thoroughly miserable experience these days.

Take your sanctimonious advertising campaign and shove it, AA. And bring me my damn PDB while you're at it.

Originally Posted by MADPhil
The AA email seems to suggest that not flying is the answer.
I've certainly found that not flying AA tends to make my flying just a little greater!

Here's a travel tip that this "Great Flyer" is willing to share:

Want first? Buy first - on Delta!

There you go, AA. Now aren't you glad you paid your ad agency so much for this brilliant campaign?

While we're at it... Do you still know why I fly (your competitors)?

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 30, 2016 at 3:47 pm Reason: Merge
Old Aug 30, 2016, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by Herb687
No, AA, why don't you tell your surly FAs to be nice to me.

You, AA, are a big reason air travel is such a thoroughly miserable experience these days.

Take your sanctimonious advertising campaign and shove it, AA. And bring me my damn PDB while you're at it.
You are clearly the target market of the campaign.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:27 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Herb687
Want first? Buy first - on Delta!
Hah! I tried that back in April. For several months through OLCI we were in First in the same seats. At the airport we were bumped down to coach. The agents were very apologetic and did manage to put us in the front of coach+. It wasn't too bad back there and we did get F on the return. I am using the compensation voucher to give them a second chance but I had not flown any of the airlines that are now Delta for 25 years and they did not try very hard to win me back.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:49 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, &c.
Jezebel posted this under the delightful title "American Airlines Thinks Maybe You Should Turn That Frown Upside Down." The best response, indeed one of the funniest responses I have ever read anywhere on the internet, is a parade of GIFs.

PS, maybe NSFW for many of you? You've been warned.

PPS, even the MTA's 'Courtesy Is Contagious' campaign is better than this drivel.

Last edited by turnleftbrighteyes; Aug 30, 2016 at 3:59 pm Reason: Whoops! Too many tabs opened and responded in wrong thread.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 3:59 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AA PLT, VS-curious
Interesting. I'm with MADPhil. Sounds like not flying puts us in a better position to provide tips on being a great flyer.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:02 pm

I don't understand it. AMR spent big on rebranding the company with a refined and sophisticated brand. And now they're pairing it with this overly cheeky stuff?

American is America's de-defacto flagship carrier. There is something called being beneath yourself! They need to have confidence without attitude. Grace and sophistication without arrogance. That's everything UAL's mid-00s award winning "it's time to fly" campaign had. The Fallon Worldwide spots were signed off by Robert Redford's voice. It positioned and illustrated (quite literally) United as a truly world-class premium carrier (even if the reality was different). Yeah, it may not appeal to milliniels 10 years later, but there has to be a middle ground. Just looking at AA's logo and livery, I see a premium entity. It would be nice if it was reflected into their branding activities.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
An airline telling me to be nice? That's rich.

They are the ones who created this awful, adversarial relationship to begin with. They are the ones who treat us in a way I could and would never treat my own clients. (Granted, I'm not an oligarch with an army of lobbyists...)
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
this is such a bad ad......
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:18 pm
Suspended

Agree, it's laughably bad
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:23 pm

Programs: USA CP, AA, UAL, BA, DLTA
This is incredibly bad. I wonder if Kirby had anything to do with this.
Old Aug 30, 2016, 4:34 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
How would this have anything to do with Kirby? An ad campaign is not exactly an expression of boardroom politics...

Also, this whole campaign is INCREDIBLY bad. Honestly, Going for Great was a great campaign. It basically said "we're not perfect right now, but we are actively becoming the best." This says "take Amtrak" to me...
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:13 pm

Programs: US-Plt;Concierge key; American AAirpass; Delta Silver;Starwood - Platinum; Amex Cent
It is just such a bad ad campaign - besides being strange it also comes across as pedantic. AA's flyers are no better than any other airlines in the US. Hope they didn't waste too much $$ on this as I doubt it will last.

Last edited by morrisunc; Aug 30, 2016 at 5:22 pm
Old Aug 30, 2016, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by cedric
You are clearly the target market of the campaign.
I realize you're being sarcastic, but who is the target market? Is there anyone (outside their marketing department, evidently) who'd find this appealing and be more inclined to choose AA as a result?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.