Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA checked alcohol / beer limit? Checked bag.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2016, 6:39 pm
Original Poster

I'm checking in a bag with pure beer tomorrow. Faa sets no limit but does AA have a max limit? Just did my Tampa haul and went a bit too crazy at cigar city. Everything is wrapped in bubble.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:04 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
Did you know that you can go to AA.com and see what is the checked weight limit for your baggage? 50lbs.

If it helps, I can assist in bringing the weight a bit down, and perhaps exchange some pipeworks, revolution or 3floyds.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Originally Posted by surftb15
I'm checking in a bag with pure beer tomorrow. Faa sets no limit but does AA have a max limit? Just did my Tampa haul and went a bit too crazy at cigar city. Everything is wrapped in bubble.
Assuming the beer's ABV is under 24%, there is no restriction. You can carry as much as you like based upon your fare and status. You may want to put a fragile sticker on it. If you are carrying beer above 24% ABV (it exists), then the max is 5L. You cannot carry alcohol with an ABV above 70%.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:26 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by arollins
Did you know that you can go to AA.com and see what is the checked weight limit for your baggage? 50lbs.

If it helps, I can assist in bringing the weight a bit down, and perhaps exchange some pipeworks, revolution or 3floyds.

3floyds is interesting. I have Good Gourd and Marshal Zhukovs, Jai Alai, and thats it . I literally have a bag all of beer. i think the handle is going to break off!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:27 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by danohio
Assuming the beer's ABV is under 24%, there is no restriction. You can carry as much as you like based upon your fare and status. You may want to put a fragile sticker on it. If you are carrying beer above 24% ABV (it exists), then the max is 5L. You cannot carry alcohol with an ABV above 70%.
Yea thats what i thought. I have an entire carry on size, going to check tomorrow. Its all beer, wrap, and some clothes. Should be an interesting experience checking in tomorrow. Is very heavy, the handle is almost breaking off!
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:43 pm

3floyds is interesting. I have Good Gourd and Marshal Zhukovs, Jai Alai, and thats it . I literally have a bag all of beer. i think the handle is going to break off!
I've done my share of bringing beer through checked luggage. But the best is when I do my annual trip to BRU and bring back 2 checked luggage full of Belgium beer, Westvleteren, De Struise, Brouwerij Huyghe, De Garre.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Yea thats what i thought. I have an entire carry on size, going to check tomorrow. Its all beer, wrap, and some clothes. Should be an interesting experience checking in tomorrow. Is very heavy, the handle is almost breaking off!
So the only concern in unless you are flying in a premium cabin or are EXP/OWE, you'll be limited to 50lbs per bag before paying overweight fees. You can carry up to 100 lbs. per bag, but that gets expensive.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:47 pm
Original Poster

I've done my share of bringing beer through checked luggage. But the best is when I do my annual trip to BRU and bring back 2 checked luggage full of Belgium beer, Westvleteren, De Struise, Brouwerij Huyghe, De Garre.
Man, Ill be in Munich next week. I need some Westvleteren 12! But yea, ill be safe. I didnt know if there was a hard beer limit - AA has a hard surfboard limit per bag.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:55 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Lol, I didn't know that packing a bag full of beer was a thing for intl flights. Pretty cool.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 7:55 pm

Man, Ill be in Munich next week. I need some Westvleteren 12! But yea, ill be safe. I didnt know if there was a hard beer limit - AA has a hard surfboard limit per bag.
Since you will be in MUC, I strongly suggest you to go to Kloster Andech. It will be a day trip, but well worth, the view alone is more than enough, and I'm not even adding the food and beer.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:08 pm
Original Poster

Since you will be in MUC, I strongly suggest you to go to Kloster Andech. It will be a day trip, but well worth, the view alone is more than enough, and I'm not even adding the food and beer.
Do you take the S-Bahn to get there? looks amazing.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:38 pm

Do you take the S-Bahn to get there? looks amazing.
Yes, S5 all the way to last stop, Herrsching, from there you take bus 951 that drops you close by, just a short walk up a hill. A lot of people opt to walk up the mountain from the Sbahn station instead of taking the bus, I did not try. If you buy an all zone bahn ticket the bus ride will be included, otherwise is a bit more than 2 EUR. I bought an all zone group ticket, as there where 4 of us and it included bus rides as well. It was around 55EUR, that covered up to 5 adults or 10 minors for 3 days, not bad. A single person all zone 3day ticket was about 35EUR, you can buy them right at the airport once you arrive. This was the highlight of our visit. Been to MUC many times in the past, as I work for a German company.
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:39 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Smile

The only concern is whether they all survive the journey intact.

I've filled my suitcase with beer on the way back from California to my home state with a specific brand not sold outside of CA. What a relief to see the bag still dry at the baggage claim
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by LonghornSF
The only concern is whether they all survive the journey intact.

I've filled my suitcase with beer on the way back from California to my home state with a specific brand not sold outside of CA. What a relief to see the bag still dry at the baggage claim
Russian River?
Old Aug 26, 2016, 8:53 pm
Original Poster

Yes, S5 all the way to last stop, Herrsching, from there you take bus 951 that drops you close by, just a short walk up a hill. A lot of people opt to walk up the mountain from the Sbahn station instead of taking the bus, I did not try. If you buy an all zone bahn ticket the bus ride will be included, otherwise is a bit more than 2 EUR. I bought an all zone group ticket, as there where 4 of us and it included bus rides as well. It was around 55EUR, that covered up to 5 adults or 10 minors for 3 days, not bad. A single person all zone 3day ticket was about 35EUR, you can buy them right at the airport once you arrive. This was the highlight of our visit. Been to MUC many times in the past, as I work for a German company.
me too (germany company). Bayerstrasse!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.