Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How much do you value AA's now free IFE?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2016, 1:37 am

Programs: AA (Plt Pro; 1.5 MM)
I value it some, but not much.
On most long flights, my priority is to get sleep, not watch movies.
The only exception would be certain daytime flights when I can't sleep.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:31 am

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
quite a bit, especially on the internationals, I typically dont see movies at home, so this gives me a chance to catch up, and if I am not mistaken, they have a live sports channel, which is great, if not then they should
Old Aug 22, 2016, 4:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I value it too, especially on flights above 3 hours or so. I don't like carrying my ipad in addition to my laptop and phones, and I don't like charging films on them so more than happy to let AA choose for me. I think it's a very good move.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:10 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Are the free movies provided through Gogo? Or is there a separate library?

For movies offered through Gogo I'll value it at a few bucks domestically then $15-20 internationally, but for movies offered on AA's seat back IFE I value it at $0 and NEGATIVE goodwill due to lack of closed captioning or English subtitles.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:26 pm

Flew AA twice within the last week, and Sport24 allowed me to watch some Olympics and some ATP world tour live, which was cool. The quality wasn't 100%, the picture was jumpy in places, but considering we were in the air I was pretty happy I got to watch some live sports.

However obviously only of value to me if I happen to be in the air during a major sporting event, which is really not very often. I only fly maximum 2 return trips a year and maybe one of them would be to USA, and even then it might not always be on AA.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
For whatever reason, I have always really enjoyed AA's IFE selection. Perhaps I am particularly (you should pardon the pun) American, but their classic movies are usually really good, and their current and recent releases invariably include things I have been dying to see but haven't had the time. Add to that television shows like The Walking Dead and Downton Abbey, and I find myself entertained on long daytime flights as well as short hops.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 5:59 pm

Programs: AS 100K
Originally Posted by ysolde
For whatever reason, I have always really enjoyed AA's IFE selection. Perhaps I am particularly (you should pardon the pun) American, but their classic movies are usually really good, and their current and recent releases invariably include things I have been dying to see but haven't had the time. Add to that television shows like The Walking Dead and Downton Abbey, and I find myself entertained on long daytime flights as well as short hops.
Agreed - AA probably has the best AVOD selection of the big 3. Personally, I always bring a tablet in case anything goes wrong with the IFE or if I get stuck on a legacy US plane (which, given my location, is about 66% of the time).

If I am on an AVOD plane and it's working, I always use it. The selection is great and I rarely get out to see movies due to my schedule. It's basically my only movie time.
Old Aug 22, 2016, 6:00 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
To me, the biggest value of the IFE is that I don't need to use my tray table or hold my tablet -- either of which tends to give me a neckache. Plus, in J I end up using it over my own device so I can watch a show while eating (J).

But I won't pay for it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.