Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA website fail - Royal Tongan Airline Seat Assignment?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 11, 2016, 11:47 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+

So upon checking my seat assignments for an upcoming flight; I saw this:
"You are traveling on a carrier other than American Airlines or American Eagle; please call ROYAL TONGAN AIRLINES for your seat assignment"

Per Wikipedia: "Royal Tongan Airlines was the national airline of Tonga until liquidation in 2004. It was a government agency and operated interisland services and international routes"

Didn't realize that AA Eagle started outsourcing their YYZ to ORD flights to Royal Tongan Airlines - Gave me a good laugh.... I wonder if they recognize my Elite level?
Attached Images  
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by mrtrickdk
So upon checking my seat assignments for an upcoming flight; I saw this:
"You are traveling on a carrier other than American Airlines or American Eagle; please call ROYAL TONGAN AIRLINES for your seat assignment"

Per Wikipedia: "Royal Tongan Airlines was the national airline of Tonga until liquidation in 2004. It was a government agency and operated interisland services and international routes"

Didn't realize that AA Eagle started outsourcing their YYZ to ORD flights to Royal Tongan Airlines - Gave me a good laugh.... I wonder if they recognize my Elite level?
That's a pretty impressive website fail. I'm curious how the website would even know such an airline existed.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:53 pm

You wouldn't happen to have a Westjet flight in there, would you?
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Remember the old term: GIGO?

Someone must have typed the wrong airline code for this flight. American Eagle flights are operated by several different carriers see: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Americ...tors_.26_Fleet . One of these is Piedmont Airlines whose code is PT. Not a far stretch to think someone typed RT by mistake.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by cmd320
That's a pretty impressive website fail. I'm curious how the website would even know such an airline existed.
All airlines are assigned an IATA code. I hope AA is smart enough to single source such codes and not have yet another file that needs updating as things change.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 2:16 pm

Remember that that note is not related to the flights visible in that window. It's to indicate that there are other flights in the reservation for which you can't select seats on AA.com.

My best guess:

OP has flights on Westjet Encore in the reservation (presumably between the DFW-YYZ and YYZ-DFW legs). These wouldn't show on the seat selection screen, but it would show that note instead. Westjet Encore's IATA code is WR and as it just so happens, WR was used by Royal Tongan Airlines prior to that. Whatever database AA is getting their airline names off of IATA codes hasn't been updated for WR and thus instead of Westjet (Encore) it shows Royal Tongan Airlines instead.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Originally Posted by Djokison
You wouldn't happen to have a Westjet flight in there, would you?
Nailed it - I have a WestJet flight in there.
Still gave me a good laugh though. And who knows, perhaps Royal Tongan Airlines would have given me more of a royal treatment than WestJet will

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.