Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Last possible moment to change FF number?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

I have found threads about this but they're all old and in the PMAA forum which is closed to posting, so I'm starting a new one here.

Tomorrow I will stop crediting miles to AA (since I have already qualified for PLT and won't reach EXP anyway) but I am not sure what's the latest possible moment to change my FF number, since I still want to be able to select MCE seats, have a shot at upgrades etc.

A lot of people mention that changing at the gate is a possibility but I don't want to rely solely on that since it can depend a lot on the GAs and their moods. Is it possible to do it online before the door closes? Any other suggestions?
Old Jul 31, 2016, 3:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

If you are wanting to upgrade using 500 mi. upgrades , then the AA number needs to be in the booking for the flight and not be changed

If you are not planning to upgrade, then would seem that any time after checking in would likely be ok
Old Aug 2, 2016, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
I'm planning on doing the same thing - would this be possible even if I have cleared an SWU? My flight's already been ticketed in business claim (SWU cleared at booking).

Can I change now or do I wait until right before departure?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:07 pm
Suspended

I have to refresh my memory, but, if I recall correctly-- and that's an if-- there's a policy that if one avails themselves of AAdv perks (seats, upgrades, etc) for a given flight that you are supposed to credit the flight to AAdv. I feel like I've posted that before, and, if I did, then you can be sure that's the policy.

Since one can see why all of a sudden a lot more people might be planning on doing this, understandably, so I'm gonna try and find that answer.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP, B6 Mosaic, DL PM
I've had it switched by twitter after boarding, but that was from an Alaska number to an Aadvantage
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
I have to refresh my memory, but, if I recall correctly-- and that's an if-- there's a policy that if one avails themselves of AAdv perks (seats, upgrades, etc) for a given flight that you are supposed to credit the flight to AAdv. I feel like I've posted that before, and, if I did, then you can be sure that's the policy.

Since one can see why all of a sudden a lot more people might be planning on doing this, understandably, so I'm gonna try and find that answer.
In the terms and conditions at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp it does state

Originally Posted by AA
You must include your AAdvantage number in your reservation record for any flight on which you wish to use AAdvantage elite status benefits.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
In the terms and conditions at https://www.aa.com/i18n/aadvantage-p...conditions.jsp it does state
Ah, yes. Even more specifically (now I definitely remember posting on this before):

You cannot accrue partner airline miles with your partner frequent flyer number if you have already used your AAdvantage number to obtain AAdvantage program benefits such as First or Business Class upgrades, baggage fee waivers or complimentary access to Preferred/Main Cabin Extra seats.
JDiver likes this.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 3:56 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Thank you - good info to have.

That said, my partner and I are usually on the same booking/record locator. Since he's PLT and I'm EXP, if I were to switch my future flights (no upgrades), is it safe to say that we could still avail ourselves of MCE using his status on our PNR?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:54 pm

Wow, this really sucks. I was planning to put everything on JAL or Air Berlin now. Looks like I have to be selective about that. Thanks for this information.

I wonder however if there is any experience with enforcment of this?

Do the miles just not credit to the other airline program? Or not at all? Or do they try to charge you the free bennies? Anybody been there already?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 4:59 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by f4free

Do the miles just not credit to the other airline program? Or not at all? Or do they try to charge you the free bennies? Anybody been there already?
In my experience, most airport agents either don't know or don't care.

The miles should credit normally and no charge would be assessed for the benefits.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
Originally Posted by OskiBear
I'm planning on doing the same thing - would this be possible even if I have cleared an SWU? My flight's already been ticketed in business claim (SWU cleared at booking).

Can I change now or do I wait until right before departure?
You can apply your SWU to anybody's booking, including any non-elite friends. So it seems to me that you should not have any issue doing it to your alter-ego, i.e. you with a different FF#. I don't think you'd have any issue if you change it now way before departure.
Old Aug 2, 2016, 5:08 pm

Originally Posted by f4free
Wow, this really sucks. I was planning to put everything on JAL or Air Berlin now. Looks like I have to be selective about that. Thanks for this information.

If you are wanting to use the 500 mi. upgrades , then I have seen this enforced and not able to change the number without losing upgrade opportunity
Old Aug 2, 2016, 7:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jay_dubya
I've had it switched by twitter after boarding, but that was from an Alaska number to an Aadvantage
I suspect changing to the FFP of the airline you're flying on is easier.

Over at Alaska, when I use my AA (LT) Plat (which Alaska recognizes) to get Preferred seats in advance, I can then change to my Alaska FFP at check-in and retain those seats. And those seats give me priority boarding, so indirectly my AA Plat status gives me priority boarding at Alaska even after I've switched to earning Alaska FFP where I have zero status.

Originally Posted by POAflyer
since I have already qualified for PLT and won't reach EXP anyway
I would think you must have another reason besides just that. Otherwise everyone who's LT PLT (and won't reach EXP anyway) would never credit AA at all, and I don't that's the case. Presumably you have some reason to want to collect JAL or Air Berlin specifically?
Old Aug 2, 2016, 10:05 pm
Suspended

Arrow

I have to advise; this rule -is- enforced and members have gotten busted playing around with this.

As to if it's high risk, medium risk, low risk, extremely low risk, I can't say, but I can say for 100% sure, the rule is enforced under certain circumstances.
Old Aug 3, 2016, 5:18 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sdsearch
I would think you must have another reason besides just that. Otherwise everyone who's LT PLT (and won't reach EXP anyway) would never credit AA at all, and I don't that's the case. Presumably you have some reason to want to collect JAL or Air Berlin specifically?
I'm based in Brazil, so LATAM Fidelidade (JJ's program, not LA's) is looking better for me.

Ideally I would status match to JJ but that doesn't seem like a real possibility, at least for now, so I might as well start earning some EQM there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.