Community
Wiki Posts
Search

AA (BA codeshare) 1 night LHR layover?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 28, 2016, 4:56 pm
Original Poster

Thanks JJeffrey. Looks like BA and QR are both 1:1 EQMs for Y class.

Is there some site where I can plug in legs one at a time and get a price?
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by robr
Thanks JJeffrey. Looks like BA and QR are both 1:1 EQMs for Y class.

Is there some site where I can plug in legs one at a time and get a price?
That is for full Y fares, which will be VERY expensive. According to ExpertFlyer the full Y fare for BOS-BLR on AA/BA is around $6k, for example. You can almost certainly get a discounted business fare cheaper.

Google flights is good for searching segment by segment. Most online travel agencies as well as aa.com have multi-city booking tools that allow you to specify city by city like you're trying to do.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:12 pm

There's actually an awful lot you can do with the BOS-BLR fares with a $1600 budget.

For example here is something with overnight in London and on via Doha outbound, and then a few days in FRA (a short train ride to DUS) inbound for your gig.

You can maybe get DUS in there instead of FRA with a bit of playing around.

It's also possible to route via AUH (very close to Dubai) on Jet Airways/Etihad if that is of interest.
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 28, 2016 at 5:29 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

Ldnn what tool did you use to find that itinerary?

Maybe it's not Y then. It's always Y when flying domestic so I was just assuming. I'll have to check our internal travel site tomorrow and see what fare class comes up and then will recheck EQM ratios.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather see new places than reach Platinum. I'll likely reach it anyway by end of year just with domestic travel.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:36 pm

Ldnn what tool did you use to find that itinerary?

Maybe it's not Y then. It's always Y when flying domestic so I was just assuming. I'll have to check our internal travel site tomorrow and see what fare class comes up and then will recheck EQM ratios.

At the end of the day, I'd much rather see new places than reach Platinum. I'll likely reach it anyway by end of year just with domestic travel.
Well the cheapest public Y fare for BOS-BLR is $7300. So either your internal TA has special private fares that book into Y, or you're actually booking into something else.

Note that 'Y' is often used as a general term to denote economy/coach class and not necessarily the actual fare class booked.

The above screenshot is from ITA Matrix. This is by far the best tool for searching for complicated itineraries, but it takes some learning to use it effectively.
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Good call. It's a V class fare. 50% EQM on BA or 75% on Qatar
Attached Images  
Old Jul 28, 2016, 5:55 pm

Good call. It's a V class fare. 50% EQM on BA or 75% on Qatar
That's actually an O fare basis (the lowest one).

I'm not sure what the V at the top means but unless someone here can confirm otherwise, I suspect it will book into O like the public fare does.

For info the same itinerary I constructed above can be done in V for $1966:
Attached Images  

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 28, 2016 at 6:01 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:15 pm
Original Poster

Ldnn would you mind screen shotting your ITA Matrix search to generate the itinerary you pasted? I'm playing around with this now but your ability to come up with the dates you did is more advanced than where I'm starting out. I can actually remove the time checkboxes. I was trying to build in the layover times using those, but then discovered /minconnect. I'm coming up with $5000 fares when I include FRA so curious what you used.
Attached Images  

Last edited by robr; Jul 28, 2016 at 6:44 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 6:44 pm

I used multi-city, specifying each connection point based on what you were looking for.

Bear in mind that was intentionally trying to route via the Middle East. If you're not dead set on that, you can easily do the whole thing via Europe for $1000 or less. Here's one with a day in Amsterdam and then overnight London, just by way of example.

The cheapest O base fare via Europe is only $61 each way +TFC, and as stated above that allows stopovers, so you really do have plenty to play with.
Attached Images   

Last edited by Ldnn1; Jul 28, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Old Jul 28, 2016, 9:27 pm
Original Poster

Ah! Stopovers instead of layovers. My whole strategy was trying to stretch the rules of legs and layovers instead of throwing it all out the window and just putting in what I wanted to do. That was a much better approach in this case. I think this is what I'm going with assuming it's still available once I get my visa for Bangalore. Can't book anything until I have that. Sleep is over rated. Could be the first time I'm actually able to sleep on a flight ... just hoping I don't get sick from visiting Bangalore or this could be really miserable

Thanks for all the help. Maybe next time I can figure out something for Dubai, just couldn't find an affordable way to work that in on this trip.
Attached Images  

Last edited by robr; Jul 28, 2016 at 9:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.