Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Worst behavior you've seen in an Admirals Club?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Worst behavior you've seen in an Admirals Club?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:35 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Worst thing I've seen is the rude dude who squeezes by everyone and runs to the front of the plane the minute it stops moving.

But YMMV.
The "exception" should be for a pax who has a (very) close connection.
Sometimes an announcement is made, to allow such pax to deplane first.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Like many here I have witnessed some appalling personal behavior (uncovered sneezing, toenail clipping, prolonged flatulence, and on and on).

The single worst was slightly different. In the Chicago H/K club, in the business area, a guy was conducting a speaked phone conference call in which he and the others on the call were making final decisions on a reduction in staff, and were discussing very personal details about the employees, some of it very derogatory in nature.

Having to hear the trashing of a loyal employees years of service in such a cavalier manner really disgusted me, although of course I did not know them.

Last edited by Non-NonRev; Jul 17, 2016 at 9:23 pm
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
Can't AA put a big sign up, saying "Utensils Required to Take Food; Do Not Use Hands"?
Sort of like the sign one might see at the entrance to a school, "This is a gun free zone. Please do not bring firearms onto the premises."
Originally Posted by shgroamer
Would a sign really stop him in this situation?
Exactly.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 8:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dr. HFH
Sort of like the sign one might see at the entrance to a school, "This is a gun free zone. Please do not bring firearms onto the premises."Exactly.
Signs serve two purposes. 1. To inform, and 2. To deny wilful violators the ability to claim ignorance.
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:08 pm

Programs: AY Platinum, UA Premier Platinum, OneWorld Emerald, VA Platinum
I assume it's a colloquial term, but what is a "snowflake son"?
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Guvner067
As in "Fragile as a snowflake."
Old Jul 17, 2016, 9:36 pm

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Originally Posted by Fleck
Do you know if the cockroach was free range and antibiotic free?
I sure hope it was!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:23 am

Actually, "snowflake" references the idea that no two snowflakes found in nature are ever alike. In this colloquial usage, it refers to the idea that the child has unique needs not exhibited by any other child, and thus requires an extra special level of care and attention (which of course, is not the case, this being the whole point of that usage).
Old Jul 18, 2016, 4:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by NYCommuter
What's the worst behavior you've seen in an Admirals Club? Did you do anything to get it corrected and, if so, was it corrected?

Mine was on Saturday: a very obese man was in the C/D Admirals Club in Charlotte at about 1:50pm. He stood in front of the cookie/brownie trays, pawing at them and stuffing his face. He didn't even use the silver tongs that are placed in front of them, so his grimy hands and stuff from his mouth got all over the cookies and brownies.

I handed him the tongs and another customer scolded him. He kept pawing at the cookies some more, ignoring us, and then walked off. The other customer looked at me and said, "well, all we can do is advise, right?"

That was a repulsive episode and makes me not want to get near any food in a public place again.

Can't AA put a big sign up, saying "Utensils Required to Take Food; Do Not Use Hands"?

My others are (1) a crowd of screaming children in the same AC a few months ago (which I took care of by fussing at the parents) and (2) the constant businessmen and yappy other travelers who walk around in the middle of the AC while on their phones.
1. No need to describe him as obese. There are plenty of non obese people who behave this way

2. Do you think he would have obeyed a sign? I've seen the same behavior in places with signs.

3. Why did the employee at the club say when you informed them?
Old Jul 18, 2016, 6:10 am
Original Poster

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
@mvoight, I think it appropriate to describe him--if he's reading this, he'll know that he's been called out again.

A sign might have made him think twice. Without a sign, there's no requirement to use tongs.

The other passenger said, "all we can do is advise" so I let it go.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:15 am

Worst thing I've seen is the rude dude who squeezes by everyone and runs to the front of the plane the minute it stops moving.

But YMMV.
I was in row 2 and row 3 on 2 separate flights this past weekend and only have a small tote that I had under the seat the whole flight so when the plane stops and the passengers in front of me were retrieving their bags from the overhead bin I just walked past them and was the first in line to deplane. Was that inappropriate? The aisle in F was wide enough that I don't think they noticed me past by. I won't do it again if others think it's rude.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:17 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Originally Posted by Fleck
Best and worst in a single day. @ DFW, I forget which AC...

Club is not packed but line for booze and food at the bar is long. Woman wants to order a sandwich for snowflake son:

Woman: Is the chicken sandwich free range?
Bartender: I'm not sure, Ma'am.
Woman: Is the chicken antibiotic free?
Bartender: I don't know, Ma'am.
Woman: Did the chicken know what it was like to be in love before it was made into a sandwich?
Bartender: I don't know, Ma'am.
Woman: Did the chicken get to experience EY's apartments before it died?
Bartender: I don't have that information, Ma'am.
Woman: What was the chicken's favoite song?
Bartender: Not sure, Ma'am.
Woman: What was the chicken's name?

Best bartender ever!
Sounds like someone was watching Portlandia prior to visiting the AC. Anyone remember Aliki Farms?

Mine was on Saturday: a very obese man was in the C/D Admirals Club in Charlotte at about 1:50pm. He stood in front of the cookie/brownie trays, pawing at them and stuffing his face. He didn't even use the silver tongs that are placed in front of them, so his grimy hands and stuff from his mouth got all over the cookies and brownies.
So Mr. Creosote is real?!?!
Old Jul 18, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by millionmiler
OK, the worst thing I have seen in an AC was in the Tokyo club where a man drank whiskey until he vomited over himself and the chair he was sitting in while more or less passed out. It was actually a worse scene than it sounds.
In my defense, it was BAD whisky.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: AA-EXP
People are mostly well-behaved in my experience.
However, this time of year we see a lot more children in the clubs, and they are not as sensitive to sound issues as the rest of us. In the worse cases, the parents seem completely oblivious that their precious little tykes are making the AC uninhabitable.
Old Jul 18, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by Guvner067
I ripped off the term from this forum. It's as Doc describes.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Sounds like someone was watching Portlandia prior to visiting the AC. Anyone remember Aliki Farms?
The sad part of the entire exchange is the poor kid never got fed. If I'm the bartender, I'd be tempted fib--- tell Mom it's artisanal chicken from bucolic Patagonia: Vet on staff; macramé and yoga classes; poetry hour; individual, air conditioned coops from reclaimed barn planks; etc., etc., etc...

Get the kid fed, get the people watered.

I have all the respect in the world for the staff at ACs. The flighty bunch they must deal with on a daily basis would be enough to drive me mad batty.

Can you give an AAplause Cert to an AC employee? I'd assume so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.