Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Bought first class tickets for int. trip & now plane changed to 2 class only

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:43 am
Original Poster

Programs: SPG Plat97, AA PLT, Delta SM

Late last year I got my wife a round trip first class award ticket using AA miles from South Korea to U.S. A few weeks later, I purchased my own first class ticket with cash for the same flight which begins this October.

Yesterday, an agent left a voicemail telling me my wife's plane has been changed to a business class/coach only aircraft for the international leg from the original 3 class seating aircraft (I guess they didn't get around yet to contacting me about my own ticket on the same flight). I called American to find out what was going on and the agent confirmed that the plane has been changed to business/economy seating only aircraft. She put me on hold for a long time and then said it will take even longer to fix and that she will call me back when they finished. The agent never did call me back, but I see online that my ticket and wife's ticket has been re-ticketed with business class on the international leg from Korea to Dallas.

What should I expect in compensation for this change? In regards to my wife's award ticket, agent said business class mile saver is 60,000 each way and since I spent 62,500 for first class (I got her ticket before the devaluation) I would get back 2,500 miles back each way. I remember business class miles was 50,000 back then and I think a refund of 12,500 miles is more fair than 2,500?

The agent didn't give me specifics on what they would for my paid ticket, but said she would let me know details when she calls back, but of course she didn't call back. Has anyone else experienced a similar situation and what was the outcome?

I guess this situation fits the saying "first world problems!"
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
You definitely should get the mileage difference as it was when booked. On your revenue ticket, there would be a fare difference refunded, but depending upon when the booking was made and the flight to be taken, had you originally booked business, you likely could have confirmed a discounted fare vs the full fare they may want to use for the refund.

Alternatively, you could ask to be rerouted (both award and revenue) via NRT where 3-class plans are still operating. Since this was involuntary, AA should have rebooked you this way rather than downgrading...but go for it if you don't mind the extra flying time. It would be JL in business, of course, but first otherwise. (Since AA codeshares with Korean, you might even push for F seats on their A380. You're in the driver's seat on this one.)
Old Jul 16, 2016, 11:28 am

Programs: AA, BAEC Gold
Years ago I settled for the mileage difference in the same circumstances (there had not been a devaluation) but that was before I read FT. I would certainly hold out for a re-route if that is convenient and you should be able to get a much better offer if you stick with the downgrade.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 12:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yeah, your only real options are (1) reroute, (2) accept downgrade and fare/aware difference, or (3) cancel completely for no penalty.

On re-route, AA should be able to force award availability on any AA metal flights (e.g., NRT-US), but your wife will likely be subject to award availability on the JL segment ICN-NRT. (Accept a voluntary downgrade in this segment if that's all that's available.).

On the downgrade, you should definitely push for the full mileage difference from the time you originally booked the ticket, I believe it was 50k O/W in Business for Asia 1 to US. Unfortunately, reservations is unlikely be able to help or commit to anything, you'll have to contact AAdvantage Customer Service, and they seem to be telling people to call back after the flights are flown, and then they can credit any differences. On the paid ticket, hopefully they'd be able to reaccomodate with no fare differential (and of course no change fee).

On the cancellation, some people have reported resistance getting the mileage redeposit fee waived on an equipment change/downgrade (as opposed to a schedule change). Push forcefully, and HUCA if necessary. There should not be any issues getting full refund to original form of payment on the cash ticket.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.