Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Record locator split without being requested: does this just happen?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 11, 2016, 12:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)

I have had a very odd experience. I logged in to check my miles from a flight yesterday (oddly, the short east coast hop posted while the transcon didn't) and found that my record locator had been changed and my wife was no longer on my reservation.

Fortunately, she wasn't cancelled -- she was now the only one passenger on our original locator (my kids and I are on the new one) -- and I've called in to have the records linked. The phone agent was as surprised as I was -- the records were split in SFO two hours after we were already in the air SFO-CLT.

Beyond linking (or to use the phone agent's term, cross-referencing) the records, there seems to be nothing to be done, and with any luck nothing will go wrong with our return. Nonetheless, this is baffling, and I have an email into customer service.

So, my question is: has anyone seen this happen before? Is there an explanation? And beyond the issue of potential IRROPs on the return (hopefully we got our share of that on the way out... our CLT-LGA flight was delayed in the air so long it needed to make a fueling stop) is there any particular reason for concern?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 1:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Were any of you upgraded?
Old Jul 11, 2016, 2:08 am
TPJ

Programs: TK*G (E+), IHG Plat Ambassador
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Weird. I believe with Sabre you do not need to split PNR to upgrade only one of the passengers.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 9:43 am

same thing just happened to me. Booked my wife and I last Sept for round trip this month LAX - OGG - LAX . Single PNR. We flew the first leg 5 days ago, LAX to OGG, still on same PNR. Went to AA app and website yesterday to check return flight, and her name no longer appeared when I signed in using my name and password. Took me a while to figure out that I am now on a completely new PNR, with her remaining on the old one. No upgrade for either of us and no notification or explanation of the PNR change was sent to me by email. Weird.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 10:01 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Regardless of how this happened, you should read the Wikipost in FAQ: TCP, "Linking" / link / merge itineraries / PNR (master thread). (PNRs can not be “linked”, only cross-referenced - that might come in handy during IROPS / OSO.)
Old Jan 28, 2018, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA 2MM (LT-PLT, PPro for this year)
Originally Posted by Mark_T
Missed this question at the time, but we'd upgraded far in advance (I don't remember if it was miles+copay or SWU anymore) rather than waiting for points-based upgrades (I don't think we even could have done that with 3 seats?) and had confirmed upgraded BPs before showing up at the airport, so I would not expect that to have had any impact.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 12:53 pm

No such thing as a link. Just a note in both PNRs. Useless during IROPS that are mostly done by computers where Murphys law states you will find everyone in your group on different flights to same destination.
Old Jan 28, 2018, 4:52 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Useless is too strong as it has kept us together during IRROPS a couple of times. Probably useless without high status, but I know they’ve looked at it for me at least once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.