Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Layover in CLT, final dest. SXM, AA website says 'Please note connection time'

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:49 pm
Rd3
Original Poster

Programs: HH Dia, Marriott Titanium, AA Gold, UA Silver

7AM flight arrives at CLT at 8:31AM
Then flight from CLT to SXM departs at 9:20AM

Should I be concerned? Customs, other holdups....
Old Jul 10, 2016, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA, Bonvoy, Hertz
I am not sure what customs you are referencing.

AA website cannot sell a ticket that is below the MCT for that transit for the type of flights being booked (D to I in this case). However, they are telling you that the connection time is rather low. I don't know if you have an earlier flight option to CLT or wish to take a later flight to the island.

When operations are going well, no issue. When there is a problem, then you are likely to have an issue with either or both flights.

Rasheed
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: DL DM 2mm, AA EXP mm, UA SL, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Platinum, Hilton Gold
CLT is not a huge airport. As long as you are not arriving on E (commuter) concourse and your flight arrives close to on time, you should have no problem boarding your connecting flight by 9:05.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
It's just a warning that while your connection may be above MCT, it is relatively short, so if you are someone that doesn't like to (or can't) rush, is risk adverse, etc you might consider choosing another flight.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 8:41 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, HHonors Diamond, National Executive
Should be fine, but I'm guessing it's telling you that because it's the only flight of the day from CLT to SXM. If you have IRROPS, they can always route you through MIA, which I've actually had happen going to SXM via CLT.
Old Jul 11, 2016, 9:46 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Exec Platinum, SPG Platinum / Ambassador / Lifetime Gold, Avis FIRST
If your flight is on time you'll be just but make sure you go directly to the SXM gate.

The issue is if you inbound to CLT flight is delayed even like 30 minutes you may miss your connection.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 2:55 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
CLT-SXM is usually 2x daily.

SXM is almost always a D gate departure. So, it could be a bit of a walk depending on where the arriving flight is parking and if the departure is a "high" D gate (D11 or D12).
Old Jul 12, 2016, 6:56 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by Rd3
7AM flight arrives at CLT at 8:31AM
Then flight from CLT to SXM departs at 9:20AM

Should I be concerned? Customs, other holdups....
Had this issue yesterday. 11:30am scheduled from LGA to CLT, then connecting at CLT at 2:30pm. The LGA flight was delayed by an hour due to congestion. We landed at 2pm in a C gate with the connection in an E gate. I made the connection flight literally two minutes before they closed the door. The only reason I made it is a combination of fast walking, cutting people off, and running on the moving walkway.

These short connections are really dumb and should be done away with. At the very least they should try to have the connecting flight leave from a closer gate.
Old Jul 12, 2016, 8:09 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
There is no way an airline can or should anticipate delays such that planes can be moved to accommodate -you-.

What is a long walk for you may be a two gate stroll for others.

Such is the life in airport hubs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.