Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

PHX or LAX - which is better for connections

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:36 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond

I need to get to LAS to SFO and AA is offering flights that connect either at LAX or PHX. Choice of connection time is just under an hour or just over two hours. Which airport is the least stressful to connect at? Also as a OWE, which airport has better Admirals Club/Flagship lounge facilities? Thanks
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
LAX for both of your questions.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL DM; AS 75K; Marriott Titanium Elite
Ditto, especially if you can avoid the Eagle's Nest (meaning mainline the whole way)
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
I disagree, PHX is a very simple airport. LAX will also be more busy, and usually more stressful.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:40 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Slotski
I need to get to LAS to SFO and AA is offering flights that connect either at LAX or PHX. Choice of connection time is just under an hour or just over two hours. Which airport is the least stressful to connect at? Also as a OWE, which airport has better Admirals Club/Flagship lounge facilities? Thanks
Very easy questions (honestly not sure what the people above me are talking about )

Connecting - PHX
Smaller airport with what will likely be a shorter gate-to-gate connection (although if your LAX connection is in the same terminal, there may not be much of a difference, and it could even be shorter). The problem with LAX is that you could arrive/depart in T4, T6, TBIT, or the remote terminal. All AA LAX terminals with the exception of the remote terminal are now connected airside, but it's still a hassle.

Clubs - LAX
IMO, the T4 LAX AC is far superior to the AC offerings in PHX, even despite the recent PHX club remodel, IMO. If you're a non-AA OWE, you should also have access to the Flagship Lounge at LAX (of course, there isn't any FL in PHX).
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
LAX - has a flagship lounge PHX- does not
As long as you aren't connecting to a baby jet at the Eagle's Nest at LAX, LAX is very convenient for AA to AA connections. There is one concourse and it only take a few minutes to go from one side to the other. If you fly American Eagle out of LAX, you have to take a bus to a remote terminal.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:13 pm

Programs: AA CK MM, AC SE100K, BA Gold, UA 1K, DL Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by mvoight
As long as you aren't connecting to a baby jet at the Eagle's Nest at LAX, LAX is very convenient for AA to AA connections. There is one concourse and it only take a few minutes to go from one side to the other.
This is incorrect -- since the merger, it is now possible for domestic mainline flights to depart from T4, T6, or TBIT.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:52 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Thanks for the contributions so far. Regarding the LAX options the aircraft are 737/A319 so no Eagles Nest? I assume both PHX and LAX options there isn't the hassle of additional security as its a domestic to domestic connection?
Old Jul 9, 2016, 12:07 am

Programs: AA EXP, EY Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, IHG Gold, Hertz 5*, Global Entry
Thanks for the contributions so far. Regarding the LAX options the aircraft are 737/A319 so no Eagles Nest? I assume both PHX and LAX options there isn't the hassle of additional security as its a domestic to domestic connection?
There will be no Eagle's Nest, but you may still have to take a bus or walk from T6 to T4 or rarely TBIT. It could also be super simple and just be all in T4. It's kind of a guessing game. In PHX you might have to walk and change piers. Either way there will be no re-clearing of security as this all can be done airside.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:27 am

Programs: UA Million Mile, Mileage Plus Premier 1K, SkyMiles Gold Medallion, AAdvantage Gold
PHX is easier for connections. LAX has better AC's.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 1:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: SBUX Gold
As a BA Gold, you'll have access to the QF F lounge at LAX. Just something to think about.

Honestly, I feel the walk between PHX terminals is more onerous than between the LAX terminals.

tl;dr - LAX wins on both counts, IMO.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 3:18 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
I think the question tha isn't being asked here is about reliability and the clear winner on that (and IMO overall winner) is PHX.

A low ceiling can easily cause major cascading delays at LAX. PHX is simply far more reliable in terms of getting you to your destination on time.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 7:21 am

I would not mess with trying to connect in under an hour in LAX. If there is any sort of minor disruption to the schedule, you will be stuck waiting for gate space in the remote area, and you will likely miss your connection. Also, for such a short connection, how would slightly nicer club facilities even benefit you? AA is now spread between 3 terminals at LAX, all quite a ways apart, whereas the walk between piers at PHX is pretty simple and painless. LAX doesn't even have moving sidewalks in the underground tunnel, and the buses are just a hassle. Not to mention PHX also has better weather and reliability.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

And if "atmosphere" is important to you:

At PHX, changing gates is normal airport stuff.

At LAX, changing terminals between T4 and T6 is tunnels under the terminals. The tunnels between T4-T5-T6 were built many decades ago, closed for decades, and recently reopened, and look and feel like it.

Changing terminals between T4 and TBIT is much nicer, since it's a brand new airside connector just opened a few months ago, but it's mostly early morning flights that AA puts in TBIT so if you're connecting you're not that likely to be connecting to an AA flight from TBIT I think.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), Marriott Tit
Note that the T4 AC at LAX us currently undergoing heavy renovation. Seating is limited and crowded.

Add in LAX's ridiculous taxi times and the third-world remote gates at TBIT, and I'd vote PHX by a mile.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.