Search

Great AA handling of a delayed flight

Search this Thread

Old Jul 6, 2016, 2:39 pm
Company Representative: HotelRatePro
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, HH, IHG, SPG, Marriott
Thumbs up Great AA handling of a delayed flight

I was on AA100 JFK=>LHR on Mon July-4. With 2 hours connection at LHR to a BA flight, i.e. transfer from T3 to T5 (by bus), various inspections and security check, and train inside T5. 2 hours connect is not much.

AA100 pulled from gate at JFK 5 minutes early. But half an hour later, almost ready to take off, the pilot announced: A passenger had a medical emergency, and we have to return to gate to let him off the plane. And they also had to get off his luggage. We ended taking off about 1.5 hours after official time = about 1 hour late.

Here comes the Great handling of AA:
When we got off the plane at LHR, there was waiting for all transit passengers an AA agent with a table with docs arranged alphabetically for passengers. The docs were either new boarding pass/es for new flight/s or a red Express Connection voucher, to make the transfer faster.

I made my original connecting flight, almost running thru the Express Connection lanes.

Thank you AA.
Old Jul 6, 2016, 11:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by HotelRatePro
I was on AA100 JFK=>LHR on Mon July-4. With 2 hours connection at LHR to a BA flight, i.e. transfer from T3 to T5 (by bus), various inspections and security check, and train inside T5. 2 hours connect is not much.

AA100 pulled from gate at JFK 5 minutes early. But half an hour later, almost ready to take off, the pilot announced: A passenger had a medical emergency, and we have to return to gate to let him off the plane. And they also had to get off his luggage. We ended taking off about 1.5 hours after official time = about 1 hour late.

Here comes the Great handling of AA:
When we got off the plane at LHR, there was waiting for all transit passengers an AA agent with a table with docs arranged alphabetically for passengers. The docs were either new boarding pass/es for new flight/s or a red Express Connection voucher, to make the transfer faster.

I made my original connecting flight, almost running thru the Express Connection lanes.

Thank you AA.
I was at JFK waiting for my flight to LAX on 7/4 when I saw your plane leave the gate only to return 30 minutes later. I was curious what happened.

I'm glad to hear they had everything taken care of when you landed. I'm flying LAX-LHR next we and only have a 2 hour connection. Hopefully we'll get the same treatment if we're late.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:45 pm

Programs: AA Plat, SPG/Marriot Gold, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Expl
This is truly shocking to me.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 1:50 pm

Transfer Customer Service

I've experienced this on a number of occasions at various airports, including ORD, JFK, and LHR.

Smart move because it makes the customer happy and saves money too.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 3:55 pm
Company Representative: HotelRatePro
Original Poster

Programs: AA, BA, UA, HH, IHG, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by dciolli
I was at JFK waiting for my flight to LAX on 7/4 when I saw your plane leave the gate only to return 30 minutes later. I was curious what happened.

I'm glad to hear they had everything taken care of when you landed. I'm flying LAX-LHR next we and only have a 2 hour connection. Hopefully we'll get the same treatment if we're late.

I think that as an AA Plat you are entitled to use the Express Connection lanes, even if flight on time. But they really check to let you thru.
Easier to wave the Big Red Express Connection voucher than to show AA Plat card.
Possibly, Biz and 1st get the Express Connection voucher on plane. Try to ask for it, showing your AA Plat card.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:03 pm

Well there's a rAArity
Old Jul 7, 2016, 4:53 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Isn't this standard at oneworld hubs? I've seen it at JFK, CLT, and ORD arriving internationally for sure.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 5:07 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Isn't this standard at oneworld hubs? I've seen it at JFK, CLT, and ORD arriving internationally for sure.
Yup. Arrived on QF 3 hours late into DFW and they followed the exact same procedure.
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:16 pm

Programs: AAdvantage (Platinum)
It's not uncommon, though I've generally learned that if you already have the best option (eg, Global Entry or biz/1st tickets) then they rarely have anything for you no matter how tight the connection so there's little point in stopping to check. Also, those "tickets" are sometimes just a message printed on ticket stock (where the msg just says how you've been rebooked and to see a connections counter).
Old Jul 7, 2016, 6:25 pm

Recently flew on an award ABQ-PHX-LAX-MEL-CBR in Business...not that that made any difference as it turned out.

Flights into LAX that evening were pretty much all delayed... runway work I believe.

I had pretty much given up all hope of making the MEL flight... but on arrival at LAX there was a staffer with a handful of those red connection folders... she gathered together everyone flying to MEL or BNE on QF and led us from T6 to T4 (bus) to TBIT..fortunately all airside these days.... arrived as boarding was underway.

Quite impressed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.