Search this Thread

Old Jun 20, 2016, 11:59 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Silver, Hilton Silver, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Boston Globe: AA 1086 JFK Diversion 6/19

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/201...pLM/story.html

(Pay wall)

BOS-MIA, A321 with engine flames.

From the article, it does not appear to have been some of the cabin crew's finest hour:

The plane started to shake and rattle and people really started to freak out,” said Drew Nederpelt, a Miami business man who was traveling with his girlfriend. “There was lot of crying and screaming. One of the flight attendants was literally shaking and sobbing and we looked at each other like, ‘Somebody else to speak through the PA.’”
Old Jun 20, 2016, 12:44 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
No paywall for this article and also includes a short 2:30 video report:

http://wsvn.com/news/local/mia-bound...hanical-issue/

A passenger on board flight 1086 told 7News he knew something was wrong. “Twenty-five minutes into the flight, we hear ‘boom,’ like a noise,” said David Martinez-Delgado during a phone interview.

Martinez-Delgado said the ordeal took a frightening turn shortly after. “Five minutes after, another ‘boom,’ and people started looking out of the window, and the entire airplane [cabin] started filling with smoke,” he said. “People started screaming ‘fire,’ and the flight attendant was crying.”
Old Jun 20, 2016, 2:20 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG PLT, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Amtrak, WN
What's up with AA's A321s and engine fires?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:21 pm

Programs: AA; Marriott; SPG; HH
So last week Monday, I was the AA PHX-SFO flight where the cowlings blew off during take-off. I was "lucky" enough to have full view of this madness and this happens this week? Ours was a 320 aircraft and those planes have seen better days. Even in F, the seats creak at the slightest movement.

I can not believe that with the merger with US Air and record profits, they're still flying those planes - planes so old they have ashtrays at every seat.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:24 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by badjuju
I can not believe that with the merger with US Air and record profits, they're still flying those planes - planes so old they have ashtrays at every seat.
They should just go to the plane store and pick up a couple hundred new planes, right?
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
They should just go to the plane store and pick up a couple hundred new planes, right?
Yea, if the current planes are no longer safe to transport passengers.

Plane parts blowing off during take-off, explosion in the engine and you're saying just deal with it???
Old Jun 20, 2016, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Well the A321 was less than a year old. New vs. old obviously doesn't matter. In fact, with a new airplane, it might not be AA's fault at all.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:03 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Yea, if the current planes are no longer safe to transport passengers.

Plane parts blowing off during take-off, explosion in the engine and you're saying just deal with it???
If the planes are unsafe, you need to let the FAA know right away.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:06 pm

If there are actual maintenance deficiencies, then throw the book at them. But even if the planes were properly maintained, this kind of stuff is inevitable -- regardless of how old the planes are.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by wrp96
Well the A321 was less than a year old. New vs. old obviously doesn't matter.
I agree. I have much more confidence boarding a 25 year old 757 than a brand new A321 at this point. The interesting thing will be if this was manufacturing related. Could be a pretty major AD applied to all A321s if that's the case.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:08 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
IME AAs 32Bs are encountering issues.....mechanical delays or just other unexplained delays in the past month.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
IME AAs 32Bs are encountering issues.....mechanical delays or just other unexplained delays in the past month.
Hopefully the A321 isn't the new A300 for AA. Near the end that fleet may have been the most unreliable fleet of aircraft in the history of US airlines.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:33 pm

Originally Posted by rjw242
If there are actual maintenance deficiencies, then throw the book at them. But even if the planes were properly maintained, this kind of stuff is inevitable -- regardless of how old the planes are.
Do you consider these maintenance issues? LOL
Both pieces ripped off during takeoff

Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:36 pm

Do you consider these maintenance issues? LOL
Both pieces ripped off during takeoff
I have no idea what the cause was, but neither do you.
Old Jun 20, 2016, 6:49 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
I'll take a SWAG and suggest that the maintenance crew forgot to latch the engine cowlings after they "topped up the oil"

I'm pretty sure this is what happened on a BA flight a few years back, though in that episode, the cowlings stayed fully attached to the engine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.