Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What happens to unused Snack Basket items?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:28 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP

I fly a lot between TPA and MIA and always wonder what happens to the unused Snack Basket items. They provide two for this very short flight and most of the time only one is opened, two if they need an extraitem form the second one. Every now and then a Greta FA will premisa it before serving the second half of seats.
My question is what happens to the items that don't get eaten? I would hope they get recycled and served again, but not sure about the logistics involved.
When I've asked, I've been told it "goes back to catering with everything else, (ie dirty glassses) but not sure what happens afterwards."
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, AA EXP, Bonvoy LT Titan, Avis PC, Hilton Gold
The snacks are packaged items, I suspect they are reused (but I am not sure).

Although the expense to reuse my exceed the cost of just using new.
Plus the chip bags expand due to pressure on the airplane so it is possible the bags might get damaged.

Last edited by cova; Jun 12, 2016 at 8:09 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 8:08 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Catering processes those to create exciting, new main dishes - crust for the fish, stuffing for various presentations, etc. "They'll be bAAck!"

Or, Soylent yellow?

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 13, 2016 at 7:39 am
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
When you see Coconut Oatmeal Bliss cookies in the main course basket on CHOPPED, you will have the answer to your question.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:34 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Don't they just fill the baskets, just like the catering carts with cans? Unused means unopened. It's not as if these things spoil anytime soon.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: Marriott Ambassador; AA EXP 3MM; AS MVP, Hilton Gold, CH-47/UH-60/C-23/C-130 VET
On a recent international flight, the FA came by at the end and gave my 3-4 things from the basket. She said it all had to be thrown out, which made sense from a customs perspective. On the domestic side, I think they just refill the basket so they all keep going.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 7:32 pm
Original Poster

Hope they get reused, otherwise it'd be quite some waste. As I mentioned there's almost always 1.5 baskets left over after every flight. I should also mention that about 75% of these flights get juice or water in coach, other half the FAs seem to lazy to do the service.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 11:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
As a OWE flying in MCE I often ask for the coconut cookies to go with my drink, and if I could have a second pack for my gf who also loves them. I often get three or four. They don't go to waste
Old Jun 13, 2016, 1:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
IIRC, the FA's have these supplies provided in bags and kept in a storage compartment. And they just restock the baskets with them when the items are depleted.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 12:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Fanjet
IIRC, the FA's have these supplies provided in bags and kept in a storage compartment. And they just restock the baskets with them when the items are depleted.
Fro, what I've seen the baskets are wrapped in cling wrap and all contain the same things. They receive them this way for Catering. If they run out of soemthing and you ask for it, they will often open the next basket.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 5:53 pm

Programs: kayaker
Originally Posted by FAA1996
I should also mention that about 75% of these flights...[snip]...other half the FAs....
Are you Yogi Berra by any chance?
Old Jun 13, 2016, 9:14 pm

Not sure about AA, but when I was roommates with B6 crew member we never were lacking for food around the house.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 11:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by o mikros
Are you Yogi Berra by any chance?
Lol. Mea culpa...

Originally Posted by KRSW
Not sure about AA, but when I was roommates with B6 crew member we never were lacking for food around the house.
I've seen them eat a snack or teo, or take it back to their coworkers in Y, but doubt they take the whole leftover basket. I did think about it though when the FA on my flight Friday said the Apple Chips I was having were her favorite... lol
Old Jun 14, 2016, 3:28 am

Programs: AA EXP | DL SM | HH DM |*wood Gold
I heard they sell them to Allegiant

MO
Old Jun 14, 2016, 9:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Sometimes crew brings them home. In general they are nonperishable so they are reused. Do you think grocery stores throw out food every day? No. Ok probably not the most exact example since they have more control of the environmental factors that affect food.

I don't know about AA but on AS, shelf stable is reused. Perishable is thrown out at then end of the day. I recall one flight I was given 4 unsold fruit and cheese trays. Another i have given 3 cheeseburgers. I was so extremely grateful even though i was told they would go to waste otherwise.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.