Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

which flight to choose? (TPA-CLT-IAD or TPA-DCA <land> IAD)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:25 pm
Original Poster

i'm currently booked from TPA-CLT-IAD-AUH. however, i have the option of going TPA-DCA (transfer to IAD)-AUH. i'm flying etihad business class so i would have access to their complimentary chauffeur service. that gives me one less connection and 3 extra hours at home.. i'm torn, help me!
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:32 pm

Not sure if this is what you were implying you would do - but you can't use the Etihad chauffeur to transfer you from DCA to IAD.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:34 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Gunner14
Not sure if this is what you were implying you would do - but you can't use the Etihad chauffeur to transfer you from DCA to IAD.
oh i had no idea. why is that? that's actually what i was planning on doing. oh well
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:34 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Please, for members' convenience:

4.0 Thread Titles link to this FlyerTalk Rule

Please create thread titles that are specific and descriptive and that contain an accurate (not misleading or sensational) characterization of the topic. If you wish to change your thread's title, please contact a moderator. Moderators may also edit thread titles to clarify content.
/Moderator
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by omaralt
oh i had no idea. why is that? that's actually what i was planning on doing. oh well
The service is only allowed at origin or destination, not in transit.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA CK/MM, Centurion
Why couldn't OP just take the metro one stop to somewhere random and have the driver pickup there?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 1:56 pm
Original Poster

good to know. thanks

Originally Posted by blakepilot
Why couldn't OP just take the metro one stop to somewhere random and have the driver pickup there?
i guess i could but i have luggage. for all that it's not worth the headache; i'll deal with one more stop in charlotte

Originally Posted by JDiver
Please, for members' convenience:

/Moderator
my bad
Old Jun 9, 2016, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA,BNV,HIL
Originally Posted by blakepilot
If one ticket, you can only use driver at TPA or AUH. IF IAD-AUH is separate ticket then probably could try. Depends on hassle factor but DCA-IAD can be an expense and depends on luggage quantity.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 8:49 pm

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Depends on when you're doing this. I've been out of town and haven't had to deal with the nightmare, but the current safety shutdowns are affecting the metro line you would take between DCA and IAD. Even worse, it's causing traffic problems on the roads. The metro lines that would cause you trouble are the Orange and Silver with service reductions running through June 16. Then other lines will see reduced services. For the purpose of avoiding any unfortunate delays, fly into IAD. I'm not sure our current subway issues will cause you problems, but why risk it?
Old Jun 9, 2016, 10:29 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
TPA-MIA-IAD is also an option, no? Avoids the RJ on CLT-IAD.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:39 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I would definitely do this as it probably keeps you on LAA metal as well. If not, then the CLT connection (as much as I would rather a nonstop flight) - claiming and then schlepping your bags from DCA-IAD is not a non-event and the cost (time and money) is not something to sneeze at.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:11 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
whats the advantage of that? i'm trying to avoid making a connection, but is there some advantage of MIA-IAD vs CLT-IAD (i will be in FC)
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:53 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
whats the advantage of that? i'm trying to avoid making a connection, but is there some advantage of MIA-IAD vs CLT-IAD (i will be in FC)
Multiple potential advantages depending on how you look at it:

1. Avoid LUS metal
2. Meal on MIA-IAD flight
3. Connect in MIA for better lounge/avoid CLT
4. ???
5. Profit

Your value of any of these may be nil, but I personally would take the MIA connection anytime over the CLT one.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 7:59 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by iadisgreat
Multiple potential advantages depending on how you look at it:

1. Avoid LUS metal
2. Meal on MIA-IAD flight
3. Connect in MIA for better lounge/avoid CLT
4. ???
5. Profit

Your value of any of these may be nil, but I personally would take the MIA connection anytime over the CLT one.
thanks, however, the miami flight gets me into IAD at 4:49 PM. my EY flight departs IAD at 10:05 PM so that leaves me too much time.

currently i have it where i arrive in CLT at 1:34 PM and then depart CLT at 5:55 PM. i have some family/friends in CLT so i'd get out of the airport and grab some BBQ, so the meal from MIA to IAD is non-issue

and then when i arrive into IAD the EY lounge should be open by then and it gives me 3 hours to enjoy the lounge. however, i would be willing to forego all this for a non-stop.

PS: whats wrong with LUS metal? i see many people hating on it
Old Jun 10, 2016, 8:12 am

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
thanks, however, the miami flight gets me into IAD at 4:49 PM. my EY flight departs IAD at 10:05 PM so that leaves me too much time.

currently i have it where i arrive in CLT at 1:34 PM and then depart CLT at 5:55 PM. i have some family/friends in CLT so i'd get out of the airport and grab some BBQ, so the meal from MIA to IAD is non-issue

and then when i arrive into IAD the EY lounge should be open by then and it gives me 3 hours to enjoy the lounge. however, i would be willing to forego all this for a non-stop.

PS: whats wrong with LUS metal? i see many people hating on it
I find F on LUS planes to be very uncomfortable -- I'd almost rather sit in the exit row with unlimited leg room (although your flights are short, so more tolerable). CLT-IAD will also be on a regional jet, another ding in my book against CLT.

On the flip side, there are fewer flights from MIA to IAD, which might be problem if your original flight is delayed/canceled for some reason, and it seems like you have a plan to enjoy your connection in CLT. I would just leave plenty of buffer time, though, given that regional flights are often given lower priority during IRROPs, and you definitely don't want to miss your international connection at IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.