Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Should I even bother trying to get Lifetime Plat on AA?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Should I even bother trying to get Lifetime Plat on AA?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:22 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
I am LT Gold.

I got there by flying when and where I needed to fly and by charging regular purchases on my credit card, nothing extraordinary.

I just went on with Life, and ended up with LT Gold.

My suggestion to you is to do the same. Go on with your life. Let the chips fall where they may.
IAHtraveler likes this.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Go for it. I'm at 1.88 million miles & scratching & crawling my way to 2 million miles hoping the program doesn't change until then. If only I was less 50K miles away.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:12 pm

Programs: AA (ExecPlat, >2MM), United (Gold, >1 MM), HH (Diamond), SPG (Gold), Accorhotels (Gold)
A big advantage with Lifetime is that the yearly spend requirement is gone. So it might be a good thing to do the push for Lifetime PLT on AA, then go back to flying UA....unless a super deal comes up on AA. Then you could buy the AA and get the benefits of free main cabin+, no fee checked bags, OneWorld lounges on international flights, etc.

One more thing...with the 2 million miles comes 4 Systemwide Upgrades. It means that in the following year you would have to fly two AA roundtrips (or one with 2 people), but you would fly in style.

Last edited by PolarRoute; Jun 8, 2016 at 12:14 pm Reason: add something
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:33 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, AA PPro, Hyatt Globalist, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by schriste
Because I might be overlooking something. If I'm not... it is not such a "no brainer"... especially as I am already lifetime Gold (50,000 mile level) with United.
You are approximately 2%'ish away from qualifying for lifetime Oneworld Sapphire status, that's a no brainer in my book...

Having both LT statuses, will provide you a great deal of flexibility going forward.

Regards
Old Jun 8, 2016, 12:39 pm

Programs: Hilton-Diamond Lifetime Platinum AA UA, WN-CP, SPG Gold.
It is worth it, I am retired,

My wife's company buys her tickets, and I ride with miles.

Many times I give her my FC ticket, since her company will not pay FC..

Every little bit helps,.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Inf Elite CO, lifetime AA Platinum
I would certainly go out of my way now before the new accumulation rules hit (not that long from now) if you are flying on discounted tickets - as you would then probably get more straight miles than on UA and credit towards 2MM. You would get then somewhat guaranteed all the benefits people have mentioned, bookable MCE seats, and more. On an ongoing basis the difference in mileage accumulation will not be significant. I would do it. And find a great place for you to use your 4 system wides!
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by nrr
Will a LT Plat roll into Plat Pro? (Will there be a LT Plat Pro)
No.

No.

Originally Posted by scubadu
You are approximately 2%'ish away from qualifying for lifetime Oneworld Sapphire status, that's a no brainer in my book...

Having both LT statuses, will provide you a great deal of flexibility going forward.

Regards
Yes.

Yes.

For reference, people can look up the benefits (including the 2017 modifications) in this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...aster-thd.html
Old Jun 8, 2016, 1:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Even if your flying is wholly domestic, MCE at purchase is a clincher.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 3:32 pm

Location: SAN and before that...EWR....AA EXP (3MM)..HH LIFETIME DIAMOND..AVIS PREFERRED PLUS
Also, life circumstances may change. What happens if you end up relocating out of NJ ( I did, thankfully)??? Just go for it and get it over with.
Old Jun 8, 2016, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by PolarRoute
.with the 2 million miles comes 4 Systemwide Upgrades. It means that in the following year you would have to fly two AA roundtrips (or one with 2 people), but you would fly in style.
Would or could?

SWUs are not guaranteed upgrades unless you can find a flight which has confirmable upgrade inventory available at the time of booking (easiest, assuming you want to upgrade from coach, on two-class domestic flights with plenty "A" inventory).
Old Jun 8, 2016, 5:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP & 3MM, Priority Club Plat since 1984
Re-examine the remaining value in LT Gold. You're boarding with credit card holders.
Life can bring many changes.

<redacted>

Last edited by JDiver; Jun 14, 2016 at 8:46 am Reason: Humor with poor timing :)
Old Jun 8, 2016, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT 3MM, Hilton/Marriott/SPG/Club Carlson GLD, IHG PLT
You are already LT GLD with UA, and very close to LT PLT with AA. Where are you at the moment as far as elite status with AA? 45k is almost PLT for the year. Back in 2011 (I think) when AA changed the earning requirements for LT status many did their best to secure their LT status.

Me personally, I would go for it, thought I wouldn't go way out of my way and spend $$$$ just to get it. Plan a few mini vacations, do a couple of cheapies MR and secure it. You would at least have LT status on 2 legacy carriers that will help out latter on.
Enjoy.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:05 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I would do it in a heartbeat, not think twice.

With the addition of the revenue requirement for elite status, there will likely be fewer elites, making upgrades easier. This assumes that AA slows the practice of targeted challenges, adds a revenue requirement to paid challenges.
Old Jun 9, 2016, 11:51 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
I expect to be living off both my UA and AA lifetime status in the years to come. When I was a UA flyer, I did accelerate my flying when I was within 50K of 1MM/lifetime midtier level there, just out of fear that UA might eliminate lifetime status somewhere down the road. Even though I am not a regular UA flyer (only one SFO-LAS flight the last 4 years at $92), I do use the status on partners outside the U.S., particularly for lounge access/flights with Lufthansa within Europe.

Even if you don't intend to fly AA for years to come, think about partners like Qantas, Cathay and BA which you might use for flights. I think you'll see significant value with lifetime 2MM Platinum/One World Sapphire when you fly with partners, particularly in terms of lounge access in Asia, Australia and Europe.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: Lifetime Plat/4mm miles, Starwood, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by msv777
I doubt it.

Cheers.
Though it would be nice to differentiate MM levels above 2 MM. As it stands, a 3MM and a 10MM LTP pax have the exact same level of status. PlatPro offers an opportunity. (Said the guy with 4 million miles.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.