Wiki Posts
Search

Platinum upgrade % ?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP
Platinum upgrade % ?

I have been very fortunate over the last number of years to have been Executive Platinum. Additionally I have been very lucky in getting my upgrades. However, due to a forthcoming change in my business, I expect, in 2018, to be bumped down to Platinum Pro.

Having been EXP over these years I have not paid attention to what kind of success rate for upgrades, a Platinum member would have.

If you have any experience on getting upgrades and being Platinum perhaps you can let me know. I realize this may be hard to quantify, as there are a number of contributing factors. But even if you have anecdotal evidence.... that might help me get an idea of what my future travel might look like. IE: Typically what number on upgrade list does the earliest date stamped Platinum end up as? Assuming that the fist Platinum member is listed after 2or 3 EXP's... what might be the % of scoring an upgrade?

thanks for any insight that you have and care to share.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: MSY; 2-time FT Fantasy Football Champ, now in recovery.
Programs: AA lifetime GLD; UA Silver; Marriott LTTE; IHG Plat,
Originally Posted by AA Flyer
I have been very fortunate over the last number of years to have been Executive Platinum. Additionally I have been very lucky in getting my upgrades. However, due to a forthcoming change in my business, I expect, in 2018, to be bumped down to Platinum Pro.

Having been EXP over these years I have not paid attention to what kind of success rate for upgrades, a Platinum member would have.

If you have any experience on getting upgrades and being Platinum perhaps you can let me know. I realize this may be hard to quantify, as there are a number of contributing factors. But even if you have anecdotal evidence.... that might help me get an idea of what my future travel might look like. IE: Typically what number on upgrade list does the earliest date stamped Platinum end up as? Assuming that the fist Platinum member is listed after 2or 3 EXP's... what might be the % of scoring an upgrade?

thanks for any insight that you have and care to share.
I'd argue that upgrade % is dependent even more on day and time and route than it is by status.

I'm currently PLT, and flying the wrong routes. My most common trips are the consultant-heavy trips from DFW to DCA/IAD, leaving Sunday evening and returning Thursday evening; as well as hub-to-hub trips DFW-CLT. In both cases, I usually buy and request the upgrade about 3 weeks out. On these routes, I'm probably 10%, at best. Generally, I seem to be between #5 and #12 on the list out of 20-40 names. And it's not just earlier PLTs ahead of me, it's common to have EXPs in coach.

On my occasional midweek trip or non-DFW flight, I'm probably 50%.

I first got PLT sometime around 2006, and my upgrade rate was similarly poor. I remember my upgrade balance soaring from maybe 6 to over 30. When my business travel ceased and I dropped back to GLD, my upgrade success actually imporved, since I was no longer flying the business routes, and my balance pretty quickly dropped back doen to maybe 3.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:31 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
I would think hub flyers like me would see a smaller percentage. Even as EXP I'm probably 75% out of MIA.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 5:38 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Platinum, DL Gold
My travel patterns fortunately have me avoiding peak days and times generally so not sure how helpful this will be, but I've missed 2 upgrades out of 30 sectors (that were either <500 mi or on which I used stickers to request an upgrade) this year as a Plat.

This includes flying into and out of DCA as my home airport and several shuttle flights. I typically book 2-3 months in advance and was among the top 5 on the waitlist on those 2 sectors I didn't clear. And of course, I avoid DFW like the plague.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:18 am

Low. AA has right-sized its fleets, its cabins, and its schedules. They want to sell F.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 6:21 am

It's highly dependent on route and time.

Plat. I do the typical work travel, Monday morning to Thursday afternoon between ORD and PHL. 0% upgrade rate. I've got 56 500 mile stickers which I've only ever been able to use on vacation - never on my typical travel schedule.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:23 am

As a PLT out of LAX, I get upgraded about 10% of the time. I don't think I've ever been upgraded between LAX-ORD when we go visit my wife's family every couple of months.

I occasionally get upgraded on the less traveled routes. Some that recently come to mind are LIH-LAX on a Wednesday and MSY-DFW on a Sunday morning.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:47 am

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
Highly route and time dependent. I'm about 75% this year, but a lot of them are short haul flights out of DCA: DCA-DAY, DCA-CHS, DCA-LGA. On "real" stage routes, I'm not doing so hot (DCA-DFW, DFW-BOS, etc.). I am usually at the top of the upgrade list without clearing.

Where I have cleared DFW-DCA and the like is usually an evening flight with no meal service (cookies and snack basket only).
Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum; Marriott Platinum
NYC-based PLT here, and I'm at around 90% this year, but again, very route/timing specific. For weekend or mid-week flights, and to non-AA hubs (e.g., LGA-ATL) (all leisure), I've been clearing right at the 72-hour mark.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:57 am

Pretty rare these days with mostly hub to hub travel and reduced schedules to my other destinations unless flying at odd times with low demand. Otherwise upgrades lists of 30+ are not uncommon. I don't have much incentive to reach for EXP again since even my husband who has had it for years more than me and does loads of international barely cracks the top 5 anymore on my hub to hub flights when he's with me. First is usually full or only has a seat or two free anyway.

I've found myself using DL and VX more over the last year and a half.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:48 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; AA EXP; UA 1K
I guess it depends on the routes pretty much. When I was Plat earlier this year I was never lucky on LAX/SFO/DFW/JFK flights, whereas always got upgraded elsewhere.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 10:51 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
See signature. ;-)

I mostly travel on off-peak days/times, but sometimes I get surprises on a business trip.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
As an EXP I see upgrades all over the map. Normally MIA/CLT clears at T-100 for me but the mid day flight tomorrow (Wednesday) F is showing sold out. I would imagine its hard to pinpoint what to really expect in upgrade success anymore. I remember back in my mid 2000s PLT days I rarely missed an upgrade. However, then AA was flying 24F 757s and 16F MD80s.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 12:31 pm

Programs: BA Silver; Hilton Gold; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Marriott Gold
So far I'm 2/2 on separate trips. One was DFW-TPA, the other TPA-MIA. For differing reasons, I didn't end up flying either segment, though.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 1:41 pm

SJC to anywhere snout 50/50

DFW-CRP 100%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.