Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
View Poll Results: The AAdvantage changes announced 6 Jun 2016 will
incentivize me to fly AA more, as I benefit overall
3.55%
cause me to buy premium over discount AA fares
3.42%
not impact my travel on AA in the balance
16.82%
make me choose AA or a competitor, depending on itinerary
23.78%
make me become an independent agent
29.04%
cause me to join another airline's FF program
23.39%
Voters: 761. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 6, 2016, 10:31 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
AAdvantage Changes Announced 6 Jun 2016 - REACTION, DISCUSSION

This thread is dedicated to "REACTION, DISCUSSION" of the changes announced June 6, 2016.

For "JUST THE FACTS", please use JUST THE FACTS: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Summary of changes:

aa.com: Unknown but intended: aa.com updated to show EQM, EQD and RDM/AW for your convenience when booking and in your account for keeping informed about your accruals.
Aug 2016:

Change to earning Award / Redeemable Miles to revenue based begins (see FT thread)

Bonus award miles "More Miles" for premium cabin discontinued

For travel beginning August 1, 2016

Earn award miles based on your ticket price and elite status on American-marketed flights.

You earn miles on the base fare plus carrier-imposed fees minus government-imposed taxes and fees. The more you spend (and the higher your elite status level) the more you’ll earn.
  • AAdvantage® member – 5 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Gold member – 7 miles for every U.S. dollar (40% bonus)
  • Platinum member – 8 miles for every U.S. dollar (60% bonus)
  • Platinum Pro - 9 miles for every U.S. dollar
  • Executive Platinum member – 11 miles for every U.S. dollar (120% bonus)
On most flights marketed by partner airlines, you'll earn award miles based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class of your ticket. Rates will be available by July 15.

NOTE: this also pertains to "special fares", such as those purchased through AA Vacations. (not AA language)

1 Jan 2017:

Status earning to have EQM/EQS criteria AND "EQD" revenue spend requirement

In addition to the (same as 2016) required EQM or EQS, to earn status one will have to also earn "Elite Qualifying Dollars" / "EQD" spend credit as follows (during the calendar year):

"EQDs will be awarded based on:

Ticket price (base fare plus carrier-imposed fees, excluding any government-imposed taxes and fees) on American-marketed flights

EQD calculations will not include change fees and similar (premium seats, baggage, etc.) charges.

Q. Do checked bag fees, seat purchases, 500-mile upgrades or other products/service fees count toward earning award miles and EQDs?

No, only the base fare paid for your ticket including any carrier-imposed fees will count toward earning award miles and EQDs. Fees for other products or services will not be awarded miles or EQDs, including but not limited to the following: checked baggage fees, Admirals Club® memberships, Wi-Fi passes, in-flight food and beverage purchases, in-flight entertainment, unaccompanied minor fees, pet travel fees, 500-mile upgrades, mileage upgrade cash co-payments, Mileage Multiplier, BuyMiles, GiftMiles, ShareMiles or other mileage purchases, ticket change fees, ticketing fees, same-day confirmed flight change or standby fees and service charges. (Thanks to ty97.)
Flights marketed by oneworld® carriers and Alaska Airlines will earn EQDs based on a percentage of the flight distance and the fare class purchased (as may "special fares" - not AA language)

NOTE: EQD offset may be earned by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red and Silver cards (added language not from AA)

With the addition of EQDs, we’ll remove the rule that 4 segments must be traveled on American or American Eagle during the qualifying year to receive elite status."
New EQD requirement
  • Gold - $3,000
  • Platinum - $6,000
  • Platinum Pro - $9,000 (beginning 1/1/17)
  • Executive Platinum - $12,000
Elimination of four AA marketed EQS requirement

NOTE: Concierge Key is treated as a higher status tier than Executive Platinum for upgrade Priority, but is not otherwise an AAdvantage status tier.

Change from three status tiers to four - new 75K "Platinum Pro" added

"In 2017 you can start earning toward a new level, Platinum Pro, with benefits like:
  • Complimentary upgrades on flights in 500-mile upgrade markets
  • Earn 9 award miles/U.S. dollar (80% bonus)
  • 2 free checked bags
  • oneworld® Sapphire status
  • 72 hour upgrade window
NOTE: Platinum upgrade window goes from 72 to 48 hours; Concierge Key upgrade window is 120 hours.

February 2017

Introduction of highly restricted AA Basic Economy fares. FT link.

These will accrue 0.5 EQM, 0.5 EQS, will not permit rollaboard size / overhead baggage (only one personal item) unless you have status, no upgrades permitted, etc.

"Late" 2017:

Change to upgrade priority to EQD-based priority

"The way your upgrade request is prioritized will change later in 2017. You’ll be listed according to your elite status level followed by the number of EQDs earned in the last 12 months."
EP, and within EP by EQD spend in last 12 month period; PlatPro, ditto, and on to Platinum, Gold. For both upgrade request and airport list if request goes to airport list.

Executive Platinums able to upgrade MC / coach award flight (On flights 500 mile upgrades are usable, courtesy upgrades; priority within EP by last 12 month EQD spend).

"Starting later in 2017, Executive Platinum members can use their complimentary 500-mile upgrade benefits on AAdvantage® award tickets for travel on American from Main Cabin to the next class."

Peripheral issues:

AA Vacations: AA Vacations packages (like partner airline tickets) will earn EQD, EQM, and RDM/AW based on the distance flown as determined by the fare class purchased. This is in accordance with the "Special Fares" section of the new EQD earnings pages, and confirmed here

EQD requirements will apply to non-US residents as well as US as currently exists

EQD requirements can be partially offset by spend on Barclaycard AAdvantage Aviator Red or Silver cards.

Partners (AS and oneworld): accrual of EQM as reflected on charts on aa.com; EQD credit to be announced (15 Jul 2016)

Status: AA has no current plans to add "Lifetime Platinum Pro" status.

Resources:

GLOSSARY:

EQD: Elite Qualifying Dollars (base fare + carrier imposed fees, - government imposed taxes and fees)

EQM: Elite Qualifying Miles (accrual depends on fare basis, airline and miles flown)

EQS: Elite Qualifying Segments (discrete qualifying segment credited by AA)

Platinum Pro: new tier beginning 1/1/17 requiring $9,000 EQD and 75,000 EQM or 90 EQS in one calendar year

For links to new threads about these and other recent changes affecting AA flyers, see below.

Link to AAdvantage Program Updates page on aa.com.

Link to Gary Leff's "View from the Wing" blog article on these changes.

Link to Ben "Lucky" Schlappig's take in "One Mile at a Time" on View From the Boarding Area

Link to Andy's take on the Award Miles earning changes on View From the Boarding Area.

Links to useful threads:

GUIDE: Earning EQD / Elite Qualifying Dollars on AA and partner airlines (2017 on)

GUIDE: Earning AA Elite Qualifying Miles / EQM on AA, oneworld, partner airlines 2017

GUIDE: Earning AA Award / Redeemable Miles / RDM on AA, partners 1 Aug 2016

HELP DESK: Elite Qualifying EQD, EQM & Award / RDM Calculations & Planning 2017

AAdvantage® earning estimates - FAQ (aa.com)
(aa.com "AAdvantage program updates" - link)

Link to FT thread: What are AA Platinum Pro Benefits? Are they worth it? (master thread)

Link to FT thread: oneworld not requiring connecting protection or interline baggage 1 Jun 2016

Link to ARCHIVE: "Speculation about upcoming changes tba 6 Jun 2016"

Updated 6 Jan 2012 - JDiver

Print Wikipost

REACTION, DISCUSSION: EQD, status tier, upgrade changes as of 6 Jun 2016

Search this Thread

Old Jun 7, 2016, 7:56 am

Originally Posted by nk15
Yes, but AA offers complimentary domestic upgrades and SWUs, and partners do not. BA may offer more RDMs, but they are worth less, especially for long haul redemptions (but good for short haul).
Of course, one would argue if it is the important to get upgrades when most of the time it is booked in F/J.

I started looking at BA Gold benefits and requirements, and they apparently have upgrade vouchers to earn when they earn 2500 TPs or 3500 TPs. Turns out they do not have minimum fare requirement either.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------
1 x Gold Upgrade for Two voucher can be earned by Gold Members when they earn 2,500 Tier Points and 2 x Gold Upgrade for One vouchers can be earned when they earn 3,500 Tier Points. Gold Upgrade vouchers are a single cabin class upgrade available on a single or return booking. For example:
Euro Traveller to Club Europe
World Traveller to World Traveller Plus (where fitted on the aircraft)
World Traveller to Club World (where World Traveller Plus is not fitted on the aircraft)
World Traveller Plus to Club World
Club World to First (where fitted on the aircraft)
World Traveller Plus to Club World
Club World to First (where fitted on the aircraft)
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

I compared the BA Gold and AA EXP status a little bit:

Let's stick with flying 100k with $12k USD, most of which are AA domestic first

so, AA EXP: 132k RDMs

BA Gold: If you fly 100k BIS, you get at least 200k Avios + Premium class or service bonus miles.

Let's say you still look at JFK-HKG in CX J/F on awards.

AA -> J 70k, F 110k
BA -> J 105k, F 140k.

It does cost more miles to book with BA, but it is actually not that much of difference.

I think the best strategy would be to:

Get BA Gold with most Premium cabin credited into it.
Cancel AA Admirals Club membership.
When flying AA Y, forget about upgrades most of the time, credit them to AA, and use the BA Gold card to check you into the Admirals Club lounge. Heck, you could go to Flagship lounge too if you fly through LAX, ORD, JFK, MIA. In worse-case, LT GLD/PLT will earn stickers, and can use stickers on most domestic flights too.
If one makes EXP, then great, enjoy two RTs of discounted Y->J or J->F trips. Otherwise, just use the AA miles+copay to get upgrades.

In 2018, I can guess the upgrade list of difficult routes will wind down, lot more C space open for DFW-HKG/LHR. Spending $12k just to get four eVIPs does not make sense anymore. That will be roughly 100k+$1400, and we all understand that it will not cost that much to get 100k RDMs straightly for upgrades. If it costs $3k USD to get 100k, then you essentially spend $4200USD just to get upgrades. Well, $4200 is almost enough to get you two RTs from Canada to Southeast Asia. No hassle to gamble for upgrade either.

Last edited by PaulInTheSky; Jun 7, 2016 at 8:04 am
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:11 am

It is my understanding this change won't affect my plans to join the challenge (after June 16th) and qualify for Platinum on an already purchased ticket which yields over 12.5k miles?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:13 am
Suspended

Programs: AC SE100K-1MM, NH, DL, AA, BA, Global Entry/Nexus, APEC..
Originally Posted by Catbert10
AA CS is on top of things, as usual. Yesterday I sent an email complaining about the changes to the program. I received my response this morning:

Dear Mr. Catbert10:

Thank you for contacting American Airlines.
You are one of our best customers, and we value your good opinion. We appreciate your voicing your confidence in us despite this unfortunate incident. Please continue to travel with us often. We, in turn, will always work hard to earn your respect.
Mr. Catbert10, again, thank you for the email. We regard every contact from our customers as a welcome opportunity to listen, learn and most importantly, improve. It is a privilege to have you as our customer.

I expect canned responses, but can't they make some effort to match the canned response to the complaint?

Wait, I received the same worded email from Air Canada. (lol, or not)

(A fellow FTer one amusingly suggested all CSRs for all airlines, are all the same people working out of an offshore call center - so maybe you got the reply intended for me about the melon that was frozen. lol)

As for AA, I'm pretty sure they had someone test potential complaint emails and had already prepared drafts of responses. So far no one is reporting any copy & paste emails with other names in place of theirs.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:14 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
IMO substantial numbers of AA customers are sheeply about their flying and really don't care or worry about it. The small percentage who are FlyerTalkers or even merely as obsessed as we are with miles, I'd suspect, is minuscule.
Most customers don't care, but the bonuses only apply to elite customers, who are far more likely to care about how many miles they're earning. All I'm saying is if many (better informed on the whole) FTers found this confusing, it doesn't bode well for the general elite population.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:14 am

I live in Los Angeles but I have addresses in Brazil and Netherlands. Would registering as a foreign resident with AA help me in any way under the new rules?

PS: I have the Citi AA Exec MC card and I would keep it.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by crashnet
I live in Los Angeles but I have addresses in Brazil and Netherlands. Would registering as a foreign resident with AA help me in any way under the new rules?

PS: I have the Citi AA Exec MC card and I would keep it.
A lot of responses and interactions with AA twitter indicate that there will still be spend requirement to achieve AA status.

So, in short answer, no. They have not publicly confirmed whether spend requirement will be waived for non-US addresses or CC spend.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by crashnet
Nope.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:36 am

Programs: AA 1MM, Hyatt GP Platinum, *wood Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
IMO substantial numbers of AA customers are sheeply about their flying and really don't care or worry about it. The small percentage who are FlyerTalkers or even merely as obsessed as we are with miles, I'd suspect, is minuscule.

Elite customers may not be "sheeply" as much as stuck with limited options where they live and/or work. I am a lifetime gold with American Airlines, earned back in the days when miles from all sources counted towards MM status (sigh). It may not be much, but if fares are comparable, I'm going to fly the OW airline over SleazyJet, Whoa!, NorseAir, and other LCCs, reduced benefits or not. I care less about int'l upgrades than I do about extra legroom and using miles for a ski vacation. As a lowly gold, I know I'll have to pay extra for MCE seating, but that might be better than doing mileage runs to maintain Platinum status in terms of time and money spent. I look forward to reading The Points Guy's review of the 2017 program, and the $ value assigned to each tier. Next year I'll probably join AARP to avail myself of BA's Biz Class specials.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:39 am

Programs: AA & jetBlue
Well, more JetBlue flying for me. Already have been leaning that way anyway, superior product in economy, better crews, better service. Sure the mileage upgrade is nice every now and then, but now, forget about it. For those who are Gold or just below it there is no longer any incentive to fly AA over say B6 or DL. I might even need to look at changing my credit cards to something more useful over AA miles.

To think I would earn less miles for a round trip MIA-LAX ticket than I used to earn for just a one way MIA-LAX ticket is absurd. It sure is pathetic what the airlines have done to the their programs, and that AA says "they have the best program" is a joke. They have the same program, which gives people like me no reason to fly them anymore. They clearly don't care about my loyalty, the little I had left for them, so I'll won't care about them.

Always enjoy my JetBlue flights more anyway.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 8:48 am

Programs: AA EXP, AA Million Miles, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 110pgl
2 - 4 - 2 business class? No thank you!
If I was regularly flying paid J I would hardly be concerned about this change...

I live in DEN: pre-EQD AAs elite program offered enough distinguishing features that I flew them over the sometimes more schedule convenient UA, with its Denver hub. Now, I am not so sure...
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
For me, the only real drive to try for EXP will be the free award cancel as I need that flexibility. I had booked my tickets until december this year to reach EXP but may not stop at Platinum and credit to Alaska if that remains as is.
I have gone out of my way to reach EXP this year (for e.g. cancelled award ticket on EY A380 J BOM-AUH-JFK) to fly BA(AA code) to earn the EQM's.
I feel liberated now I can decide freely.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:11 am

Programs: LT Gold/BA Executive Club/AS MP/Marriott
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
I see smaller F cabins in the future. My guess is that the 738 & any new 320NEO will become 12F & gasp maybe 8F. I can't see AA going 16F on the 321 & 8F on the 319 & not eventually reconfigure the 738.
I agree, especially with upgrades harder to come by now.

Originally Posted by scubadu
I'm certainly not jumping for joy at these changes, but honestly, this is becoming a very, very tired argument. People in this forum have been spouting this for years, literally, with every cut and devaluation that we've been through and the reality is that planes are still packed across the board. All the legacy carriers need to do is continue to be disciplined in capacity management and continue to lobby against foreign competition in the US.

And when the recession does "inevitably" come, they can just crank the incentive machine, if needed, via double (or triple) EQMs, waivers of EQDs, bonus RDMs, etc. and most here will "inevitably" coming running back into AA's arms.

Regards
When loyalty is over even incentives tend to fail many times. If I leave AA and 3 years later they give me some incentive to come back, why would I want to come back especially if I'm entrenched in some other program or see that having no loyalty is the best way to go?

Originally Posted by rjw242
The "tired argument" is that a recession will uniquely damage AA, or that they won't ever be able to attract back any of their former customers (when in fact a double EQM promo or similar will cause plenty of people to come rushing back, as such promos did in the past).

I never said it will uniquely damage AA. IMHO all 3 will be damaged in a recession. Who "takes a hit the most"...I have no idea. I guess we'll have to wait to see what happens in a recession.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Like many have posted, it was a good run and we all enjoyed major free trips up front all over the globe and enjoyed sitting up front frequently. Those days are over as AA has aligned itself pretty much exactly with the other two domestic major airlines. The old days are dead. I'll keep plat status and for me redeeming miles to see my family in the UK once or twice a year is now the biggest benefit to me at least.

All the big three are the same so there is absolutely zero incentive to switch back to UA or DL. Same crap, different plane.

God I wish competition was still around....wasn't it nice to have all those airlines vying for your business?
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:20 am

Programs: AA-gold(MM); Marriott-Lifetime Titanium Elite; Hilton-Gold;
in November, I, an EXP, fly MIA-LHR-MUC BUD-LHR-MIA. My ticket cost about $1050. Base air is something like $350. and taxes $700. So this sucks for me.

I'm really glad the upgrade policy isn't changing until next year. I bought this ticket the day I was able to 330 days out from the return so I could apply SWUs. Rep cleared my outbound flight right away; Waitlist on the return which is just inexcusable since the entire flight was open when I booked. Still is pretty much open in J but I guess LHR-MIA just doesn't clear ahead of time.

Looking at the glass half full, I'm already at 89,000 EQM this year with a few paid trips left besides that Europe trip. My work travel budget was slashed considerably making me likely to retire in 2017. So I can then start dipping into and enjoying my million and a half award miles that I've been hoarding for retirement.
Old Jun 7, 2016, 9:20 am

Location: DL: Silver; AA: EX PLAT; UA: Silver; HY: DIA; HH: DIA; MR: TIT
Originally Posted by no2chem
can someone point out WHY on earth is there both EQM and EQD?

If the point is to reward high value customers, HVC, why does it matter if they flew 100k miles or 10k miles if they spend 12K$ with AA?
I could not agree more. This seems nuts to me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.